Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,110 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 980,287
Pageviews Today: 1,635,131Threads Today: 657Posts Today: 11,803
04:19 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

the census bureau is coming to your front door/GPS *UPDATE* 5/1 The American Community Survey.

PhennommennonnModerator
Forum Administrator

User ID: 581503
United States
04/21/2009 06:56 AM

Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
the census bureau is coming to your front door/GPS *UPDATE* 5/1 The American Community Survey.
in regards to this post from the other day this guy wasnt kidding

Census needs to GPS my house?????? WTF!!!
Thread: Census needs to GPS my house?????? WTF!!!

from the john galt forums
the census bureau is coming to your front door
an extended family member has taken a job with the census bereau and was telling me today about the training he is receiving. they are being trained on gps equiptment to log the coordinates of every home and residence in the us. not that i'm very surprised but this has been in the works for years just not important enough for us to worry ourselves about.

[link to www.npr.org]

All Things Considered, July 31, 2006 · Two-and-a-half years from now, in early 2009, the Census Bureau plans to send an army of 100,000 temporary workers down every street and dusty, dirt road in America. They will be armed with handheld GPS devices.

Robert LaMacchia, head of the Census Bureau's geography division, says they'll capture the latitude and longitude of the front door of every house, apartment and improvised shelter they find.

"We will actually knock on doors and look for hidden housing units," he says. "We will find converted garages; from the outside, it may not look like anybody lives there."

But census workers will add each dwelling, legal or not, to the Census Bureau's Master Address File.

Recent proposed budget cuts have put part of this plan in jeopardy. But if Congress restores the money, the census will end up with the geographic coordinates — accurate to within 10 feet — for about 110 million residences.

But the Census Bureau can't, by law, share that list with anyone, even local governments. LaMacchia says the information has to be treated as confidential. Otherwise, people might lie, and the census wouldn't be accurate.

"People would not tell us about hidden housing units," LaMacchia says. "People would not respond to the questionnaire if they believed that that information would be turned over to law enforcement or code enforcement and become public information."

Mapping Might Save Lives
Shoreh Elhami, director of Geographic Information Systems in Delaware County, Ohio, says this sort of information can save lives.
"Having a geographic dataset that is accurate, comprehensive and current is priceless," Elhami says.
Her passion and devotion have made Delaware County, a fast-growing area just north of Columbus, one of the most meticulously mapped areas of the country.

At her computer, with a few clicks of the mouse, Elhami can pull up a complex, multi-layered picture of Delaware County. Standard commercial software lets her highlight sewer lines, flood plains or real estate tracts. She can pick any address and retrieve pictures of that building from overhead and from the street, along with information about its owner.
The map can answer questions you never expected to ask, she says. Last year, a big storm came through. A reservoir on the Olentangy River, just upstream from the town, was in danger of overflowing, and authorities thought they might have to release water through the dam.

Nobody knew how many people in the town of Delaware might be flooded out of their homes. Elhami rushed to her electronic map. She added a new layer to the picture — an image she'd received from the Army Corps of Engineers showing low-lying areas that would end up under water.
The image showed the outline of the "inundation zone," and within it, lines and clusters of little red dots. Each of those dots was a house that lay within the potential flood zone.

"The software allows you to do a count of every one of those residences and produce a file of those addresses," she says.
Elhami delivered that file to emergency managers, and they quickly called the people at each address. Fortunately, the storms subsided, and no flood came.

Every address in the county is in a database, complete with geographic coordinates so it will show up accurately on a map.
Assembling that data is a time-consuming effort. On one recent summer morning, Caleb Gutshall and Sheri Feasel trudged down North Winter Street, in Delaware, checking each address on this commercial strip and making sure that the county's list of occupants was accurate. They also take pictures of any new buildings. One door was unnumbered and locked. Gutshall peered in the window, but learned nothing. "It doesn't look like anybody's in there," he said.

Now the Census Bureau is planning to undertake much the same kind of effort, on a massive scale, covering the entire country. Elhami says that the Master Address File could be a priceless resource for many counties that don't have the resources to collect that information on their own.

Last Edited by Phennommennonn on 05/01/2009 09:46 PM
political correctness is a doctrine.... fostered by a delusional, illogical minority...... and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media; which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 654332
United States
04/21/2009 06:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: the census bureau is coming to your front door/GPS *UPDATE* 5/1 The American Community Survey.
No trespassing signs! And gates.
Goldfish

User ID: 657168
Australia
04/21/2009 06:59 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: the census bureau is coming to your front door/GPS *UPDATE* 5/1 The American Community Survey.
And Caesar ordered a census, to number all the human race.

There's a reason why both King David and Caesar pissed God off specifically by running censuses.
DOH!
The Jurist

User ID: 656067
United States
04/21/2009 07:00 AM
Report Abusive Post
We are working on an legal argument for these jokers.

The Census is now done on the Communist System, not the original Constitutional system.

Drafted by the Constitutional Convention in 1787 and subsequently ratified by the states, the U.S. Constitution includes this passage from Article I, Section 2:
Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective numbers....The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.

Ratified in 1865, Amendment XIV, Section 2, to the Constitution gave additional guidance on conducting the census. The census link to tax collection from the states was rescinded by Amendment XVI (1913). Contemporary guidelines about the decennial census are found in Title 13, U.S. Code (1976).

[link to www.census.gov]

`

Last Edited by The Jurist on 04/21/2009 07:06 AM
`
(Be) Divide(ed) and (be) Conquer(ed)...

Don’t listen to what they say, watch what they do.

~There is Tranquility in Ignorance, but Servitude is its Partner. —me
~What luck for Rulers that Men do not Think. —Adolf Hitler

:damned: Doom is optional. There is good news abounds.
PhennommennonnModerator  (OP)
Forum Administrator

United States
04/21/2009 07:00 AM

Report Abusive Post
more surveillance
political correctness is a doctrine.... fostered by a delusional, illogical minority...... and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media; which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 659772
United States
04/21/2009 07:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
They've already been to my house. Their excuse was that they needed to "verify" my address... WTF?? Can't they get that from the post office without wasting our tax dollars?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 659772
United States
04/21/2009 07:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
Wait a minute, if their actual objective was to get my coordinates, that would make sense, dang... Can't they just get that from the new "Smart" readers that they've installed?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 661210
Australia
04/21/2009 07:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
I would hide from em.

The big bad Govn't be sending these people from OUT OF TOWN to check on you. Next thing ya know is the U.N be knocking on yer door, making your kids homosexuals and forcin ya to eat snails.
Forum Administrator

United States
04/21/2009 07:09 AM

Report Abusive Post
Wait a minute, if their actual objective was to get my coordinates, that would make sense, dang... Can't they just get that from the new "Smart" readers that they've installed?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 659772

fkn google or windows live could gather coordinates in a NY minute
The Jurist

User ID: 656067
United States
04/21/2009 07:11 AM
Report Abusive Post
I would hide from em.

The big bad Govn't be sending these people from OUT OF TOWN to check on you. Next thing ya know is the U.N be knocking on yer door, making your kids homosexuals and forcin ya to eat snails.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 661210

That is happening already huffy
`
(Be) Divide(ed) and (be) Conquer(ed)...

Don’t listen to what they say, watch what they do.

~There is Tranquility in Ignorance, but Servitude is its Partner. —me
~What luck for Rulers that Men do not Think. —Adolf Hitler

:damned: Doom is optional. There is good news abounds.
Forum Administrator

United States
04/21/2009 07:11 AM

Report Abusive Post
They've already been to my house. Their excuse was that they needed to "verify" my address... WTF?? Can't they get that from the post office without wasting our tax dollars?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 659772

they could also send you a tracked postcard which the PO could scan as delivered. cheaper than paying a worker.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 93623
United States
04/21/2009 07:15 AM
Report Abusive Post
They,ve been to my place already. Stopped in front of my house and the three rental cabins on my land. Asked questions about the old school house that I use for a garage/storage. They wanted to know if anyone lived there. Didn't ask me about my 1/2 buried bunker in the hill though... Maybe they didn't see it?
Forum Administrator

United States
04/21/2009 07:27 AM

Report Abusive Post
They,ve been to my place already. Stopped in front of my house and the three rental cabins on my land. Asked questions about the old school house that I use for a garage/storage. They wanted to know if anyone lived there. Didn't ask me about my 1/2 buried bunker in the hill though... Maybe they didn't see it?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 93623

back in i think summer of 07, in HBG City, i was at my city property. adjacent to my property was a condemned house. this alleged census worker was 'patrolling' our street. our elderly (nosy) neighbor was suspicious so he calls me. i went outside and called that woman worker over. she has a badge. shes looking for this 20 something hispanic woman that 'they' in the hood know her as a prostitute.

i asked why they were looking for her. the worker wouldnt say. i questioned the census involvement outside of census taking years. i received no response except that 'they needed to speak to her'.

the last census would have put this 20 something woman as a minor - and this worker raised suspicion with me.

i recall something happening - and then these ghetto guys scared the crap out of her and she went running down the street to her car.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 661232
United States
04/21/2009 07:29 AM
Report Abusive Post
they will have a tough time tracking down my Camper I am living in...
Forum Administrator

United States
04/21/2009 07:31 AM

Report Abusive Post
they will have a tough time tracking down my Camper I am living in...
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 661232

dont be so sure. they will end up going to camp sites and motor parks. i saw tons of these along the pennsylvania turnpike.
Bean Counted
User ID: 661240
South Korea
04/21/2009 07:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
They have already been @ my place too. After finding this site last year and learning that the guberment might not have my best interests at heart, it seemed creepy this time around. Kinda like, "Where are your papers" feeling. He asked if we had any underground shelters that could be lived in by anyone. Just unnerving.
Forum Administrator

United States
04/21/2009 07:58 AM

Report Abusive Post
dont forget
Obama seizes direct control of census.
Thread: Obama seizes direct control of census.

Last Edited by Phennommennonn on 04/21/2009 08:03 AM
anonymous
User ID: 661101
United States
04/21/2009 07:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
what were you doing unlocking your door to strangers..cops even advise against it..my friends just stay quit and ignore knocks on doors..lol.. after peeping threw peep holes, then they just sit down and resume thier business at hand....lol........no aggrevating surpries that way !
Forum Administrator

United States
04/21/2009 08:02 AM

Report Abusive Post
here is some interesting information on the purpose of the National Census.

[link to www.thisnation.com]

here is a small section from the website:

in addition to collecting population data for the purposes of accurately apportioning congressional districts, the federal government uses census data, among other reasons, to determine:

The allocation of federal funding for education programs in states and communities.
National social and health statistics used by a variety of agencies for policy purposes.
The allocation of federal dollars for law enforcement, federal highway projects, aid to farmers and many other federally financed activities and programs.
A wide variety of economic statistics that become the basis of the nation's economic policies.
Forum Administrator

United States
04/21/2009 08:08 AM

Report Abusive Post
They have already been @ my place too. After finding this site last year and learning that the guberment might not have my best interests at heart, it seemed creepy this time around. Kinda like, "Where are your papers" feeling. He asked if we had any underground shelters that could be lived in by anyone. Just unnerving.
 Quoting: Bean Counted 661240

most of us are already telling the government to invade your privacy. when you sign the internet agreement for public school, you are slowly eroding our privacy rights; because you are telling them you don't even understand that you have them.

in a few years our kids will be telling government anything and everything, via the database "surveys" which are supposed to only be "enhancing" educational planning. even if much of the information is benign; it's the precedent setting you should be concerned about.

if you are really concerned don't sign. let them know that privacy your right to privacy is still assumed in the language and precedents set in Constitutional law and you will only give information on a case-by-case basis. that'll go over like a fart in church - you know this right?
Chawlee

User ID: 661245
Switzerland
04/21/2009 08:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
I thought they already know where I live?
I gave em my address on my income tax papers.
Dread Pirate Roberts

User ID: 660697
United States
04/21/2009 08:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
if they come to my door physically, what are my rights? Can I choose not to respond? Can I deny them entry? What are penalties for failure to comply, if any? Etc.

Last Edited by Dread Pirate Roberts on 04/21/2009 08:10 AM
"From that time Jesus began to preach and say, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." Matthew 4:17
Forum Administrator

United States
04/21/2009 08:11 AM

Report Abusive Post
if they come to my door physically, what are my rights? Can I choose not to respond? Can I deny them entry What are penalties for failure to comply, if any? Etc.
 Quoting: Dread Pirate Roberts

then again this was re the 2000 census things have CHANGEd

[link to www.fff.org]
The Census Bureau wants you to tell it all sorts of things about yourself, but there's one thing it doesn't want to tell you: You may be punished if you disobey.

You will search in vain through the census materials you receive in the mail for notice or details of that threat. The notification letter makes no mention of a penalty. The letter containing the form states boldly, but vaguely, "Your response is required by law."

The Bureau's website is also silent on the matter of penalty. To the question, Why should people fill out their census forms, the answer given is: "Participating in the census is in the individual's own self interest. People who answer the census help their communities obtain federal and state funding and valuable information for planning schools, hospitals, roads, and more. For example, census information helps decision makers understand which neighborhoods need new schools and which ones need greater services for the elderly. But they will not be able to tell what your neighborhood needs if you do not fill out your census form."

In other words, get your share of the welfare-state booty or someone else will.

I knew from past census campaigns that there is a punishment threatened, so I called the Census Bureau in Maryland to ask about it. Getting information was like pulling teeth.

Why is there nothing about penalties? I asked.

"There's a good reason we don't put information about it on the website," said the woman at the Bureau's Decennial Management Division. "The census bureau goes about getting the cooperation of the American people by focusing on the positive reasons for responding to the census."

But there is a penalty for not answering, is there not?

"It depends on who you are. An individual is treated differently from the owner of an apartment house."

Under the rule of law, aren't citizens entitled to know in advance there is a penalty for refusing to comply?

"We don't put people in jail because they don't respond to the questions. We try to appeal to their better instincts."

What if someone refuses?

"We don't go out of our way to enforce the law."

But what if someone refuses?

She said that when she was a census taker, she would patiently explain the benefits from an accurate count.

And if a person still refused?

She said she would give the person time to come around. She'd come back a week later after giving the person a chance to think about it.

And if on principle he still refused?

"I don't even want to talk about penalties."

I asked her to quote the law, which she finally-reluctantly-did. Under Title 13, Section 221, of the Census Code, "refusal or willful neglect" to answer any questions to the best of one's knowledge carries a fine of not more than $100. For giving a false answer the maximum fine is $500. Finally, the penalty for refusing to permit a census taker onto the premises is a maximum $1,000 fine and up to a year in prison. The woman at the Census Bureau said this last category applies to owners and managers of apartment houses who won't let an enumerator enter, but she conceded that the law does not confine those harsh penalties to landlords.

So there we have it. The Constitution authorizes Congress to count the population every 10 years in order to draw districts for the House of Representatives. That's it. But Congress exceeds its authority and orders the Census Bureau to ask about people's race, their economic circumstances, their homes, their commute to work, even how many toilets they have.

And you can be fined, perhaps imprisoned, if you don't comply with this intrusion.

The questions are bad enough. The answers are none of the government's business, especially since they only plan to do mischief with them. But it is outrageous that there are hidden penalties for failure to "cooperate." Under the American rule of law, legal obligations are supposed to be clear and any penalties spelled out in advance.

The Census Bureau doesn't want the bad image that would result from its threatening punishment. But our legal tradition says nothing about public relations.

Sheldon Richman is senior fellow at The Future of Freedom Foundation in Fairfax, Va. (www.fff.org), and editor of Ideas on Liberty magazine.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 633322
United States
04/21/2009 08:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
what is a hidden housing unit?
Just2Laws

User ID: 609652
United States
04/21/2009 08:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
A census fellow came to my gate, the one that says no trespassing and bad dog. He was asking about who lives down the dirt road beside my driveway because it has a locked gate.

I told him it was an access road to a sod farm and all he would find there would be cows. There is a house back there and who knows how many illegal farm workers but I don't share that kind of information.

They are out there and they are asking questions and snooping.
"You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself." Luke 10:27
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 660583
United States
04/21/2009 08:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
PIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dread Pirate Roberts

United States
04/21/2009 08:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
if they come to my door physically, what are my rights? Can I choose not to respond? Can I deny them entry What are penalties for failure to comply, if any? Etc.

EDIT____________________________
then again this was re the 2000 census things have CHANGEd

[link to www.fff.org]
The Census Bureau wants you to tell it all sorts of things about yourself, but there's one thing it doesn't want to tell you: You may be punished if you disobey.

Sheldon Richman is senior fellow at The Future of Freedom Foundation in Fairfax, Va. (www.fff.org), and editor of Ideas on Liberty magazine.
 Quoting: Phennommennonn

thanks Phenom...of course I am not advocating breaking the law nor advocating being recalcitrant in any way. It's the government, and they are here to help us.
"From that time Jesus began to preach and say, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." Matthew 4:17
Forum Administrator

United States
04/21/2009 08:27 AM

Report Abusive Post
the census is only a head count that applies ethnicity sex et al etc. they dont need to know anything else, not you bra size, not how long your pecker is, and especially info on your neighbors.

anything else you deem an invasion of your privacy its your call.

Last Edited by Phennommennonn on 04/21/2009 08:28 AM
anonymous
User ID: 661101
United States
04/21/2009 09:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
if they come to my door physically, what are my rights? Can I choose not to respond? Can I deny them entry? What are penalties for failure to comply, if any? Etc.
 Quoting: Dread Pirate Roberts

you do not have to respond to a knock on your door.. i do not give info to anyone ..the gov already knows where i live..lol...if a ppolxce car is outside then asnswere thre the door what do they want and reapond in respect to them ..cops advise do not unlock doors to strangers..criminals can make phone looking badges..so do not respond unlock door to strangers at your door, use your peep holes instead . never let kids ansere doors..use peep hole and ignore strangers..
Dread Pirate Roberts

United States
04/21/2009 09:15 AM
Report Abusive Post

you do not have to respond to a knock on your door.. i do not give info to anyone ..the gov already knows where i live..lol...if a ppolxce car is outside then asnswere thre the door what do they want and reapond in respect to them ..cops advise do not unlock doors to strangers..criminals can make phone looking badges..so do not respond unlock door to strangers at your door, use your peep holes instead . never let kids ansere doors..use peep hole and ignore strangers..
 Quoting: anonymous 661101

thanks anonymous. sound advice all around, I think
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 576524
United States
04/21/2009 09:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
*cough* bear traps *cough*

GLP