User ID: 19782831
United States
11/20/2012 08:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Microsoft CEO to Obama: Drop Tax Break Cuts or We'll Send Jobs Overseas
[link to www.dailytech.com]

"Microsoft isn't happy about a new tax on companies foreign profits

It takes an incredibly powerful company to threaten the U.S. government in hopes of impacting a significant decision, but that's precisely what Microsoft is doing. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer made headlines when he publicly attacked President Barack Obama's plan to cut tax breaks on U.S. companies' foreign profits, a plan which is currently awaiting Congressional approval.

Mr. Ballmer suggests that if the tax succeeds, Microsoft may begin a significant move out of the U.S., taking with it tax revenue and jobs. He states, "It makes U.S. jobs more expensive. We’re better off taking lots of people and moving them out of the U.S. as opposed to keeping them inside the U.S."

The plan, proposed by President Obama on May 4, seeks to help raise tax revenue and balance the budget by rolling back $190B USD in tax breaks for offshore companies over the next decade. Microsoft is not the first to oppose the measure -- the National Foreign Trade Council, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Business Roundtable are among the numerous others to voice their disapproval.

Previously, companies could defer paying corporate rates as high as 35 percent on most types of foreign profits, contingent that the company invests the money overseas. The idea was that foreign profits are not the domain of the U.S. President Obama disagrees, arguing that U.S. corporations' profits are U.S. earnings. He believes that by taxing foreign profits, companies will be more likely to invest in the U.S., rather than shelter their money overseas.

Thanks to the current provision Microsoft enjoyed a very low tax rate of only 26 percent in 2008 on its profits. A company report describes, "Our effective tax rates are less than the statutory tax rate due to foreign earnings taxed at lower rates."

Some, like Barry Bosworth, an economist in Washington at the Brookings Institution research center, accuse Microsoft and others of wrongdoing. He says the company has exploited the system, and expensive abuse that has cost our nation tax revenue and domestic investment. Indeed, Microsoft's shell game is a bit strange -- it typically develops products like Windows and then transfers the licenses for free to an Ireland subsidiary. This subsidiary then proceeds to sell them, free of U.S. taxes."
 Quoting: Cranky

**Good, I hope they move to Israel....
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26085824
United States
11/20/2012 08:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
Expect to see more and more companies leaving the USA. Our corporate tax rates are the highest in the developed world
[link to en.wikipedia.org]

Then you add social security, workmen's comp, unemployment insurance, obamacrud, then heap all the regulations on top.

What you get is a dying economy.
BRIEF

User ID: 381742
United States
11/20/2012 08:11 AM

Report Abusive Post
:Barackside566478:
I never forgive and I never forget

I am a licensed firearm holder. I will, under protection of law, use lethal force if attacked.

Briefcut4892
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19782831
United States
11/20/2012 08:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
I like the "massive import tax" idea. Let small American startup companies grab the reigns and make REAL innovations for a change. Fuuuuck Microsloth.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 386744

You mean a trade tariff right? That would be the sane thing to do but the Communists are not going to rebuild America’s industry and so no new businesses will fill the void. Tariffs would have been just what the Doctor ordered combined with numerous small and midsized business loans to fill that vacuum.

We don't need another business to walk away.

$$Didn't Hoover and Roosevelt try to put tarriff's on good's and made depression worse???
Terpsichore

User ID: 21559870
United States
11/20/2012 08:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
Obozo really has no clue....
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 687755

Ok so he has "no clue" for trying to get the jobs back to the states? By taking away tax breaks for corps. who send jobs overseas? I say that Obama calls their bluff and then we all boycott MS for insisting or threatening to keep their currently outsourced job overseas. God you will stand on anyone's side no matter how inane their demands just to oppose our President. These corporate practices have imploded our pay scales here, created massive unemployment and brought these companies record breaking profits. FUCK MS! They have sold out the american people at every turn. Next the world! Again, FUCK MS!

MS is essentially saying if the admin does this they will send all jobs overseas, not just the 60% (maybe more)they sent overseas as of this time.

Last Edited by ArcanoExAngelos on 11/20/2012 08:24 AM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28132818
Canada
11/20/2012 08:15 AM
Report Abusive Post
So when people phone into Microsoft customer support they are actually talking to Paul(a guy with an indian accent) that lives in the US?
Wolverine

User ID: 16344097
United States
11/20/2012 08:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
So when people phone into Microsoft customer support they are actually talking to Paul(a guy with an indian accent) that lives in the US?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28132818

Refer to my signature. This is what Obama wants.
“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You must submit to supreme suffering in order to discover the completion of joy."
- John "Calvin" Rambo
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28137031
Canada
11/20/2012 08:29 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.dailytech.com]

"Microsoft isn't happy about a new tax on companies foreign profits

It takes an incredibly powerful company to threaten the U.S. government in hopes of impacting a significant decision, but that's precisely what Microsoft is doing. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer made headlines when he publicly attacked President Barack Obama's plan to cut tax breaks on U.S. companies' foreign profits, a plan which is currently awaiting Congressional approval.

Mr. Ballmer suggests that if the tax succeeds, Microsoft may begin a significant move out of the U.S., taking with it tax revenue and jobs. He states, "It makes U.S. jobs more expensive. We’re better off taking lots of people and moving them out of the U.S. as opposed to keeping them inside the U.S."

The plan, proposed by President Obama on May 4, seeks to help raise tax revenue and balance the budget by rolling back $190B USD in tax breaks for offshore companies over the next decade. Microsoft is not the first to oppose the measure -- the National Foreign Trade Council, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Business Roundtable are among the numerous others to voice their disapproval.

Previously, companies could defer paying corporate rates as high as 35 percent on most types of foreign profits, contingent that the company invests the money overseas. The idea was that foreign profits are not the domain of the U.S. President Obama disagrees, arguing that U.S. corporations' profits are U.S. earnings. He believes that by taxing foreign profits, companies will be more likely to invest in the U.S., rather than shelter their money overseas.

Thanks to the current provision Microsoft enjoyed a very low tax rate of only 26 percent in 2008 on its profits. A company report describes, "Our effective tax rates are less than the statutory tax rate due to foreign earnings taxed at lower rates."

Some, like Barry Bosworth, an economist in Washington at the Brookings Institution research center, accuse Microsoft and others of wrongdoing. He says the company has exploited the system, and expensive abuse that has cost our nation tax revenue and domestic investment. Indeed, Microsoft's shell game is a bit strange -- it typically develops products like Windows and then transfers the licenses for free to an Ireland subsidiary. This subsidiary then proceeds to sell them, free of U.S. taxes."

move to canada then asshole
Mulehound

User ID: 1266608
United States
11/20/2012 08:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
I don't support any company that sends jobs overseas. Boycott Microshaft. Don't buy their crappy products anymore.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24473407

Then tell Obama to fucking go back to school and learn how shit really works. Make it difficult to run a business and employ people in the US, then the business will go where they can run the business.
MSFTFAN
User ID: 823068
United States
11/20/2012 08:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
They already send all their jobs over sea.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12119998
United States
11/20/2012 08:35 AM
Report Abusive Post
If I had a dollar for every reboot I'd have over 10 grand in my pocket.
SLaPPiE

User ID: 8957183
United States
11/20/2012 08:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
Dont let the door hit you in the ass.
Microsuck could not make a secure os in a million years.
Take the jobs, the fucking crap you call an os and bugger off.

Fuck xbox, a pc in disguise, fuck windows 8..a fucking joke.
I stopped buying thier crap years ago, you shoiuld all do the same.

Thanks to microsoft, every new pc comes with the virus they call an os. Get a fucking clue, and use linux.
Lets be honest, the internet runns on unix, the consumers run on windows fucking themselves cause they dont know better.

most people spend around 50 bucks annually for windows virus protection. this ought to convice people that the os is crap, and filled with open holes.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16312313
Canada
11/20/2012 08:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
Remember that if Microsoft did not exist, none of us would be looking at this forum right now and the Internet would not be what it is today. Most people are not savvy enough to use Unix.

I work in IT and I like Microsoft for what they do. If a company deserve to make profit, it's them , they make the world run right now. Billions of devices use a Microsoft OS.

You would prefer to be stuck with shitty proprietary Apple products?
Americans should be proud to the max when thinking about Microsoft, stop being ignorant. Maybe they should move out of the US if you guys don't respect them enough.

If you seriously think you should penalize them with more taxes to pay for you wars, then they need to get out of the states.
Shelia Deville

User ID: 22552125
United States
11/20/2012 08:54 AM
Report Abusive Post
I don't support any company that sends jobs overseas. Boycott Microshaft. Don't buy their crappy products anymore.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24473407

Boycott all destructive businesses if possible.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16312313
Canada
11/20/2012 08:54 AM
Report Abusive Post
By the way , Microsoft gives us the best Anti-Virus that exist for free and it's called Security Essentials. Ignorance is rampant around here.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1484087
United States
11/20/2012 08:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
Remember that if Microsoft did not exist, none of us would be looking at this forum right now and the Internet would not be what it is today. Most people are not savvy enough to use Unix.

I work in IT and I like Microsoft for what they do. If a company deserve to make profit, it's them , they make the world run right now. Billions of devices use a Microsoft OS.

You would prefer to be stuck with shitty proprietary Apple products?
Americans should be proud to the max when thinking about Microsoft, stop being ignorant. Maybe they should move out of the US if you guys don't respect them enough.

If you seriously think you should penalize them with more taxes to pay for you wars, then they need to get out of the states.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 16312313

Are you stupid, or just can't read? They've already been fucking over the U.S. with these shell games they play in order to avoid being taxed at the proper rate. All that the gov wants to do is tax them at an appropriate rate for what they're doing, and like a bitch, the Ballsack doesn't like it. I say fuck him. I would tax the SHIT out of all Microsoft products coming back to the U.S., so that not even Ballsack could afford them. Then what, bitch?!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1484087
United States
11/20/2012 08:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
By the way , Microsoft gives us the best Anti-Virus that exist for free and it's called Security Essentials. Ignorance is rampant around here.
 Quoting: GLPisaddictive

Security Essentials is no good.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19710596
Canada
11/20/2012 09:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
If Microsoft told something like this to Putin in Russia, its company wouldn't survive a year. And all those CEOs will be sent to some distant colony to master a new skill as a seamstress.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19710596
Canada
11/20/2012 09:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: GLPisaddictive

Two errors. Not the best (not even good enough), not free (it appears to be free but of course its cost is indirectly included in the cost of Windows OS). But I agree on ignorance of anybody who is using words "best", "virus", "free", and "Microsoft".
Fork Spinner
User ID: 21493260
United States
11/20/2012 09:15 AM
Report Abusive Post
Look up H-1B visa. Microsoft is already "sending jobs overseas." They hire someone from another country, bring them here, pay them next to nothing, and then send them home again. Meanwhile American IT people are making donuts and coffee.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 736969
Puerto Rico
11/20/2012 09:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
more to come

Atlas is starting to shrug
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28008747
United States
11/20/2012 09:27 AM
Report Abusive Post

cool the solution is then to whack a massive import levy on the products of companies that willfully outsource to avoid paying due taxes.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 696887

Yes, this is appropriate for a product developed here, then transferred "free" to an Ireland subsidiary.

Tariffs are decided one at a time, and I don't know of any WTO rule it would violate, so ... tax Windows!
Sickandtired
User ID: 17058124
United States
11/20/2012 09:28 AM
Report Abusive Post

Ok so he has "no clue" for trying to get the jobs back to the states? By taking away tax breaks for corps. who send jobs overseas? I say that Obama calls their bluff and then we all boycott MS for insisting or threatening to keep their currently outsourced job overseas. God you will stand on anyone's side no matter how inane their demands just to oppose our President. These corporate practices have imploded our pay scales here, created massive unemployment and brought these companies record breaking profits. FUCK MS! They have sold out the american people at every turn. Next the world! Again, FUCK MS!

MS is essentially saying if the admin does this they will send all jobs overseas, not just the 60% (maybe more)they sent overseas as of this time.
 Quoting: Terpsichore

And I am with you.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/20/2012 09:29 AM
Report Abusive Post
Look up H-1B visa. Microsoft is already "sending jobs overseas." They hire someone from another country, bring them here, pay them next to nothing, and then send them home again. Meanwhile American IT people are making donuts and coffee.
 Quoting: Fork Spinner 21493260

Yes, this.

Obama, show us you're better than Romney on this. Reduce the H1B program further.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/20/2012 09:31 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Terpsichore

And I am with you.
 Quoting: Sickandtired 17058124

Yes, invite MS to find a new corporate home.

They can't, because most of their favorite universities, and Silicon Valley, are here. The USA has the best human capital at the high end (as well as a lump of pretty bad human capital that "like a cancer grows".)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28140314
Canada
11/20/2012 09:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
Microsoft will soon move to Canada, why ?

We have 15% business tax compared to 35% in the U.S
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25704115
United States
11/20/2012 09:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
Microsoft can outsource their operations to HELL for all I'm concerned. Their hardware is all manufactured overseas anyway, what's the diff if their software goons leave the country? That means more money for Balmer...WTFever.

Anyone who wants to leave the county should go--in fact, I'm surprised GLP hasn't chartered a flight itself, given the tone of the regurgitated rhetoric on here lately. Oh wait, that's right, you're all gonna stay here and eat MREs & shoot your BB guns at the drones dropping napalm. Good luck with that.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27954171
United States
11/20/2012 09:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
Odd because I thought Gates was a born again leftist supporter of Obama. I must have that wrong.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 646621

Whether Bill Gates or the current head of Microsoft, or financiers like Warren Buffett, you're dealing with the type of libtard otherwise known as champagne socialists. They talk a good game of being concerned for the well-being of mankind, but they're as greedy as, or even greedier than, the people and groups they oppose.
Mr. Toppit

User ID: 27928036
United States
11/20/2012 09:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
Just more thrashing around the main issue. US Govt is broke beyond broke.

GLP