Why Do Some People Talk So Loud?

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1033366
United States
12/25/2010 03:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Why Do Some People Talk So Loud?
I talk loud when the voices in my head are yacking about something....

that way I can hear my self think....

hiding
X
User ID: 1202870
United States
12/25/2010 03:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
Narcissist's tend to talk really really loud.
lighchild

User ID: 1205807
United Kingdom
12/25/2010 03:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
So they can be heard over the loud TV

burnit
][nƒ³RnªL

User ID: 804683
Puerto Rico
12/25/2010 03:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have a very deep voice, it comes out kinda loud, or nothing at all.
Theories: Misconceptions awaiting confirmation of incorrectness.
Everything is subject to continually changing variables, leaving nothing to remain as a constant.]D)one!!!!
:nfrnl1111:
lighchild

User ID: 1205807
United Kingdom
12/25/2010 03:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Some people are not just loud talking, but also loud in everything they do.
Blowing their nose
Clearing their throat
Making a hot drink and clanking the cups and spoons together
Banging knives and forks on the plate while eating
Load mumbling and sighing

It must be an insecurity thing, I think it is either
1. They want to prove to themselves that they are real (ego)
2. They want to drown out the voices in their own head

Last Edited by lighchild on 12/25/2010 03:55 PM
dnc

User ID: 1189060
United States
12/25/2010 03:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
yeahh i have a friend that practically yells when he talks, it makes me kinda mad especially when hes at my house haha
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1206936
United States
12/25/2010 03:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
lots of reasons, mostly, to capture and hold the listeners attention amidst people with short attention spans.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 976023
United States
12/25/2010 04:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
"I have long held the opinion that the amount of noise that anyone can bear undisturbed stands in inverse proportion to his mental capacity and therefore be regarded as pretty fair measure of it." --Schopenhauer
weegie

User ID: 1201313
United Arab Emirates
12/25/2010 11:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
1. They are hard of hearing.
2. They live with someone who is hard of hearing.
3. Nobody listens unless they shout.
4. You have bionic hearing.
Me
User ID: 1197640
United States
12/26/2010 12:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
My friend talks very loud. I don't think they realize it. However if I say shhhhh or keep it down they get mad at me.

Does anyone know of a way to not talk loud or train yourself not to talk so loud?

I would love to send them a few links about voice training but I can't find anything.

Thanks
 Quoting: shouldbblonde

I wonder this as well - I don't think some folks realize it. For example, my aunt who I have nicknamed decible is just so loud!!! My brother and mother are also pretty loud, both have booming voices like my grandfather. It could be genetic because myself along with two sisters are very soft spoken. Two of my sisters kids are soft spoken as well but the youngest is very loud. If not genetics perhaps its personality factors?
SilverPatriot

User ID: 938262
United States
12/26/2010 12:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
My friend talks very loud. I don't think they realize it. However if I say shhhhh or keep it down they get mad at me.

Does anyone know of a way to not talk loud or train yourself not to talk so loud?

I would love to send them a few links about voice training but I can't find anything.

Thanks

I have been told that I talk too load and people think that I am yelling at them numerous times in my life and I have ask them to consider that I listened to jet engines for many years and learned to communicate over the noise. Further at my age my hearing is not as keen as it used to be which is compounded by the high-pitched engines over the years have taken their toll.

I have to ask people who become angry, to not take my voice volume personally and a simple reminder that I am talking too loudly will catch my attention better than coping an attitude.

Verbalizing “shhhhh or keep it down” is belittling and beneath you as an adult as you are not speaking to a child and should adopt a more professional response. Further your “voice training” comment clearly illustrates your better than thou attitude clearly you can empathize with a person with a disability better than thing everyone needs sensitivity training other than yourself.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1139709
United States
12/26/2010 12:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
its a sign of mania - your friend is literally around 10 times more euphoric than you are

there are much more euphoric (manic) people in the world than depressives

they literally, without drugs or drinking, experience intense throbbing euphoria that makes then say nonsensical sentences very loud and laugh constantly. they also have no empathy and are sociopathic, this kind
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1403927
United States
05/28/2011 12:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
... cuz they're not listening to themselves.
 Quoting: gooderboy
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1398320
Sweden
05/28/2011 11:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
Chris5g
User ID: 29316858
United States
12/08/2012 12:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
My Brother and father are both drunks and are extremely loud in voice and in slamming things closed. To me its noise pollution and they have no respect for others and its embarasing. Alot of times especially my father its for ego gratification and my brother for self medicating. It just sux period. I love them both but i realize being the sober one how fucked up it was for me growing up , not to mention my mother having M.S. It sux to see people like this walk around in life thinking they are badass when alls their doing is hiding from themselves and thier unresolved issues. My opinion , my 2 cents
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 870381
Australia
12/08/2012 12:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
I am a loud talker.

In fact I just got back from lunch with a friend and the guy at the next table was turning to look at me.It happens often & many people have told me I am loud.

I've had my hearing tested and it is fine so that's not the reason.

One friend told me it is not loud just exceptionally clear.

I've looked into ways to modulate my tone because it is extremely embarrassing for me.

Thinking about the most recent incident - lunch - I felt agitated because my friend did not understand me. So I suspect it is related to not being "heard in the sense of not being "understood".

I have a recurring dream motif of not being able to scream that I think is related.

Anyone know what this means?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16792270
United States
12/08/2012 12:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
I work with someone that talks loud too. It's really weird. He can't whisper. Im like dude everyone can here you. He's like who cares but I think he gets annoyed cause he doesn't know how to whisper. I think there are just some people in the world that really don't know how to talk quiet or whisper kinda like how people can't whistle (ha I cant whistle but I can whisper). Rather be able to whisper. Seems like you are kinda retarded if you don't know how to whisper
~JustMe~

User ID: 18606339
United States
12/08/2012 12:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
black people talk loud blacko
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15762023
United States
12/08/2012 01:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
Nothing wrong with booming voices. Female loud talker here, non butch and non loud drunk. I've been told I talk too loud from childhood. I make a pretty good opera singer, too. It's good for something which is more than I can say for low talkers. Low talkers are annoying. They always whisper in noisy restaurants so you are forced to bend over to them to hear what they have to say. It's like they are trying to exert authority over you by making you bow down to them in order to hear. Speak up, Dangit!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29184782
United States
12/08/2012 01:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
Most people speak with a head voice. Natural singers, and those trained in the performing arts speak like they sing - they project from the diaphram - which is the correct breathing and speaking technique.
It is not actually louder. It is a fuller, richer sound which does carry more because of the deeper breathing technique.

Also, people who grew up in the country speak from the diaphram and project - out of necessity.
ItzGeralyn

User ID: 28184487
United States
12/08/2012 04:36 AM
Report Abusive Post
You can train yourself, yes. But you have to be aware that it's necessary.

I'm hearing impaired... and purposefully speak softer now.

While we're on the subject...if you're speaking to someone who *is* hard of hearing and they ask for a repeat..there is no need to yell or sound hostile, lol.
Although the world is full of suffering...it is also full of overcoming. H.K.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28434194
United States
12/08/2012 05:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
Around here the "locals" dont talk loud they yell loud . They dont talk they yell . When they get crystal meth you can tell because they yell for a day strait .
nineteeneightyfive

User ID: 10415376
United States
12/08/2012 05:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
They want attention... Or they are deaf huffy

They want attention... Or they are deaf

`
(Be) Divide(ed) and (be) Conquer(ed)...

Don’t listen to what they say, watch what they do.

~There is Tranquility in Ignorance, but Servitude is its Partner. —me
~What luck for Rulers that Men do not Think. —Adolf Hitler

damned Doom is optional. There is good news abounds.
 Quoting: The Jurist

It appears The Jurist Parenthisized the "be"'s (in his Profile Quotations ) and it actually spells Divide and Conquor....which is exactly what our Gov't is aloowing our Gov't to do....which is what the overall quotation is about!

I'm so trivial,but the (ed) can be a "B" backward and so on and so on....am i still up? lol! ;)

Last Edited by nineteeneightyfive on 12/08/2012 05:25 AM
A Coot is a Bird....
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 300884
Sweden
12/08/2012 05:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
I am a loud talker.

In fact I just got back from lunch with a friend and the guy at the next table was turning to look at me.It happens often & many people have told me I am loud.

I've had my hearing tested and it is fine so that's not the reason.

One friend told me it is not loud just exceptionally clear.

I've looked into ways to modulate my tone because it is extremely embarrassing for me.

Thinking about the most recent incident - lunch - I felt agitated because my friend did not understand me. So I suspect it is related to not being "heard in the sense of not being "understood".

I have a recurring dream motif of not being able to scream that I think is related.

Anyone know what this means?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 870381

I think I know the problem behind this.

Me and my wife, and two of our sons, are soft speakers. But one of our sons is annoyingly loud. He is also very tense. He has a strong continuous tension in every muscle in his body, and can never truly relax. His loud voice is simply a reflection of his hyper-energized personality.

He can speak with a soft voice when reminded of it, but he soon reverts back to what's natural to him.

Anyway, I suggest relaxation exercises. Make a habit of making a relaxation pause now and then in conversations, to "reset" your building excitement and engagement in the topic. That should help you keep it down.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having this kind of personality, it's probably just that these people are hyper-energetic, and when they don't meet sufficient "resistance", they tend to spiral out of control.

This psychological need for resistance was noticed early with our loud son. He actually filled his school backpack with heavy stones, so it wouldn't be so light!
tounge
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29323529
United Kingdom
12/08/2012 05:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
If they are a real friend you will except them as they come.

I talk loud and am always getting told to be quiet, I too get mad, how dare anyone try to control me and how I express myself.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15762023
United States
12/08/2012 07:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
If they are a real friend you will except them as they come.

I talk loud and am always getting told to be quiet, I too get mad, how dare anyone try to control me and how I express myself.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 29323529

LOUD TALKERS! UNITE!
Free-Us-Now

User ID: 28986686
United States
12/08/2012 08:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
Some People work in a Loud Noisy Environment and they speak loudly all day so when they come home they are still stuck in that mode.

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17090286
United States
12/08/2012 08:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
I wish I could live life talking in caps lock like Frankie MacDonald.
mkw63
User ID: 58632370
United States
05/29/2014 07:27 AM
Report Abusive Post

Thanks

Maybe they are hearing impaired, or used to being in loud environments (hearing impaired parent), they have a loud parent/boss/etc., or they just want attention.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 34492526
United States
05/29/2014 07:38 AM
Report Abusive Post
Narcissist's tend to talk really really loud.
 Quoting: X 1202870

hesright

GLP