Offer Upgrade

User ID: 803442
Canada
11/15/2009 08:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Every Six Seconds A Child Dies of Starvation
Hungry for answers to the global food shortage
With another shortage on the horizon, the world seems ill prepared. And so a child dies every six seconds

By David Olive Business Columnist
Published On Sun Nov 15 2009

Every six seconds a child on this planet dies of hunger.

We've had industrial revolutions in the west and more recently in China and South Asia; budding revolutions in "superjumbo" aircraft and plug-in electric cars; and Seinfeld episodes that can be downloaded onto cellphones worldwide.

Yet we remain trapped in some previous century in that most basic of necessities; keeping the world population fed. Remarkably, the facts today point to yet another global food shortage just a few years after the food crisis of 2007-08, which ended only when the Great Recession curbed a debilitating upward spiral in prices of basic staples like rice, corn and wheat worldwide. As the world economy recovers, the prospect of another global food crisis looms large.

The determining factors in famine are mostly man-made. They include civil war and political instability in many, if not most undernourished regions. Protectionism in affluent nations that removes the incentive for developing-world farmers to enhance crop yields in the hope of earning export revenue. A sharp decline in affluent-world donations of agricultural assistance to underfed countries. A growing scourge of crop failure related to global warming. And a ferocious debate between advocates of natural farming methods and those arguing for a new agricultural revolution based on genetically modified (GM) crops.

"We have the economic and technical means to make hunger disappear," said Jacques Diouf, director-general of the U.N. Food and Agricultural Organization last month, in releasing a report showing that the number of people suffering from hunger crossed the one-billion threshold for the first time, in 2008 – a 10 per cent increase in global hunger in just one year.

In a report released last week, UNICEF found that nearly 200 million children in poor nations have stunted growth resulting from malnutrition.

"Eradicating hunger is no pipe dream," said Diouf, citing progress in nations such as Brazil, Vietnam, Nigeria, Mexico and Saudi Arabia that have all invested heavily in small-scale farming. Indeed, 31 nations have met or are well down the path to meeting the goal set by world leaders in 2000 to reduce by half the planet's number of hungry people by 2015.

"What is missing is a stronger political will to eradicate hunger forever," said Diouf. He notes that 13 nations have seen their hunger levels increase, including the Democratic Republic of Congo, Burundi, Eritrea, Sierra Leone, Chad and Ethiopia.

As if to prove Diouf's point, U.S. President Barack Obama and French President Nicolas Sarkozy are among the rich-nation heads of state who won't be attending the FAO's three-day World Summit on Food Security in Rome that begins tomorrow. About 60 heads of state will be there, as will Pope Benedict XVI.

World food output must ramp up by 70 per cent over the next four decades to feed the estimated 2.3 billion more people on the planet by 2050 – or a total global population of 9.1 billion. Achieving that goal will cost an estimated $44 billion (U.S.) a year in annual agricultural assistance, compared with the $7.9 billion spent now.

That money is needed for more and better irrigation systems, state-of-the-art machinery, training for farmers, new and upgraded road networks to get food to market, disease-resistant seeds and fertilizer. The soaring cost of fertilizer in recent years has put it out of reach of subsistence farmers. And the increased use of biofuels has driven up the cost of other food staples, as corn and grains are redeployed from food to energy production, putting these food basics beyond the reach of subsistence-income households.

Climate change is another cause for urgency. Higher temperatures reduce crop yields while spurring a proliferation of pests and plant diseases.

Last month, the International Food and Policy Research Institute calculated that lower crop yields due to global warming will reduce worldwide "calorie availability" 7 per cent by 2050. And that an especially vulnerable South Asia will suffer the biggest drop in crop yields, with rice output falling 14 per cent in the region due to global warming alone.

China has used hybrid rice to boost crop yields from two tonnes per hectare in the 1960s to more than 10 tonnes in 2004. And Chinese scientists are aiming for 13.5 tonnes by 2015.

But modified crops and leading-edge pesticides and fertilizers are a flashpoint for conflict among anti-hunger advocates.

"Chemicals destroy the sustainability of productivity in the long run," insists P.C. Kesvan, a fellow at the M.S. Swaminathan Research Institute in India.

But other Indian economists and scientists are clamouring for genetic engineering, saying GM is no different from traditional plant hybridization save that it's faster and more efficiant.

India so far allows GM seeds only in cotton production, not for edible crops.

"Genetically modified foods are just another set of tools in the tool box, but we need to be able to use those tools," Tomas Lumpkin, director of the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Centre in Mexico told Reuters last week.

"If we could deploy those (GM crop) varieties so that the farmer in the developing world has the same powerful seed as the farmer in Iowa," Lumpkin said, "why should they be handicapped?"

Another food crisis appears to be inevitable absent a holistic solution.

There must be a "two-track" approach of rich nations providing both emergency food aid and long-term assistance, with agricultural self-sufficiency as the goal. (Some NGOs worry that the affluent world's renewed emphasis on the latter will come at the expense of the former.)

The safety of GM crops must be established once and for all, so that we can move on from a debate that hinders the urgent progress needed. Private-sector donors must become more involved.

The donation last month of $120 million to small-scale farmers in the developing world by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is an example for others to follow.

Finally, protectionist affluent nations must open their markets to crop imports from poor countries – a far more effective means of narrowing the income gap between nations than foreign aid. And the most powerful nations must use their influence, through the U.N. and other multilateral bodies, to end the civil, tribal and ethnic wars that disrupt food production in so many of the world's malnourished populations.

The fact that war zones and crop cultivation don't mix is obvious. Yet the starvation in Darfur continues, amid a Sudanese civil war of more than 20 years' duration. Again, a multilateral means of intervening in these crises must be found.

Diouf began a 24-hour personal fast Friday morning. He can be found on YouTube in a video in which he counts to six. When Diouf reaches the count of six, another Ethiopian, Liberian or Bangladeshi child will have died of starvation.

[link to www.thestar.com]

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 805878
United States
11/15/2009 09:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Every Six Seconds A Child Dies of Starvation
So whats the answer?

Feed all of Africa so there can be even more children to face starvation in the future? So you have to feed them in the future, then what? Even more children to feed.

It's an ever growing problem akin the the trouble with tribbles.

So you grow enough food for Africa to sustain itself. Well they use to aka zimbabwe.

It's an all around messed up situation. Every twenty years you have twice the people to feed. After enough years there simply will not be enough food and people will starve. So while it sounds inhumane to say, let them starve now, is it more human to say let 8x's as many starve to death later?

Because those are the options.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 693590
United States
11/15/2009 09:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
That is a fact.

However, there is another fact that is never discussed. What do their parents do aside from waiting around for handouts to better their lives, and themselves???

If these people would stop being so fricking selfish and actually work together, then their quality of life would increase. Instead they are wrapped up in their petty hatreds and tribal differences resulting in nothing more than the same shit we see on the streets here in the cities of America. Rape, murder, rob and steal...

You cannot help those whom are unwilling to help themselves. Like pouring money into the sea...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 819208
United States
11/15/2009 09:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
The more I can see, the more I want to vomit! This world is so fucked up.
[link to www.snopes.com]
lil*miss  (OP)

Canada
11/15/2009 09:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
So whats the answer?

Feed all of Africa so there can be even more children to face starvation in the future? So you have to feed them in the future, then what? Even more children to feed.

It's an ever growing problem akin the the trouble with tribbles.

So you grow enough food for Africa to sustain itself. Well they use to aka zimbabwe.

It's an all around messed up situation. Every twenty years you have twice the people to feed. After enough years there simply will not be enough food and people will starve. So while it sounds inhumane to say, let them starve now, is it more human to say let 8x's as many starve to death later?

Because those are the options.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 805878

There are lots of options. In the western world (Canada, U.K., and United States) alone, over 40% of the population is obese.

The latest movie in Hollywood, Avatar, cost over one billion dollars to make.

How many sports leagues have players earning multi-million dollar salaries.

And you think letting people starve to death is okay? What the hell is the matter with you? Dropped on your head as a baby or something?

Last Edited by lil*miss on 11/15/2009 09:19 PM
Andromeda

User ID: 818619
United States
11/15/2009 09:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
I saw an article today that the number of hungry people has passed 1 billion, or almost 1 in 6 people on the planet live with hunger. That's horrible...

... but in societies where people breed and breed regardless of the ability to feed themselves and their children, the only inevitable outcome is hunger. And if you feed them, they only grow to the new capacity of the food charity.

If the world doesn't embrace birth control this problem will continue and grow.
lil*miss  (OP)

Canada
11/15/2009 09:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
The more I can see, the more I want to vomit! This world is so fucked up.
[link to www.snopes.com]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 819208

That photo is a very good reason to care. If it doesn't make you feel sick, you aren't human.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 819375
United States
11/15/2009 09:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
starvation vaccination soon to come because of the great concern those in power have over the health of our people
lil*miss  (OP)

Canada
11/15/2009 09:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
I saw an article today that the number of hungry people has passed 1 billion, or almost 1 in 6 people on the planet live with hunger. That's horrible...

... but in societies where people breed and breed regardless of the ability to feed themselves and their children, the only inevitable outcome is hunger. And if you feed them, they only grow to the new capacity of the food charity.

Quoting: Andromeda

Birth control is a very valid point, but until we educate the women on these continents, it isn't going to happen.

You can sponsor two girls to go to school and qualify for a teacher on less than one hundred dollars. The more educated these women become, the lower the birthrate. Those are facts that can be googled with very little effort.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/15/2009 09:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
There are lots of options. In the western world (Canada, U.K., and United States) alone, over 40% of the population is obese.

The latest movie in Hollywood, Avatar, cost over 0ne billion dollars to make.

And you think letting people starve to death is okay? What the hell is the matter with you? Dropped on your head as a baby or something?
 Quoting: lil*miss

Twice I was dropped on my head as a child. Sadly it made me a realist. You feed one child and suddenly 25 years later you have to feed 12 more.

Anyone that adopts a child for food aid should become required for life to feed all that persons offspring. All of them.

It is not sustainable. I'd rather 20 million starve to death in 10 years than 1 billion in 60. See preventing mass death by culling the herd is natural.

Some have to die so the rest can live, or else the entire herd is eventually threatened.

But whatever, by your shortsightedness, you will actually increase suffering in the long-term, and not alleviate it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 792499
United States
11/15/2009 09:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just the waisted food, thrown out leftovers and such, discarded, unsold foods in this country alone would probably make a huge dent in world hunger.
Andromeda

User ID: 818619
United States
Report Abusive Post

Birth control is a very valid point, but until we educate the women on these continents, it isn't going to happen.

You can sponsor two girls to go to school and qualify for a teacher on less than one hundred dollars. The more educated these women become, the lower the birthrate. Those are facts that can be googled with very little effort.

+1. This is true.
lil*miss  (OP)

Canada
Report Abusive Post
It is not sustainable. I'd rather 20 million starve to death in 10 years than 1 billion in 60. See preventing mass death by culling the herd is natural.

Some have to die so the rest can live, or else the entire herd is eventually threatened.

But whatever, by your shortsightedness, you will actually increase suffering in the long-term, and not alleviate it.

I guess culling the herd is acceptable until TPTB decide that you're the one who needs to be culled.

I stood up for no one, and then when they came for me there was no one left......
malu

User ID: 800077
United States
11/15/2009 09:26 PM
Report Abusive Post

The latest movie in Hollywood, Avatar, cost over 0ne billion dollars to make.

Twice I was dropped on my head as a child. Sadly it made me a realist. You feed one child and suddenly 25 years later you have to feed 12 more.

Anyone that adopts a child for food aid should become required for life to feed all that persons offspring. All of them.

this person is correct , imho. life is a lot of things, but it is not fair. i have done mission work outside of the usa, and i will do more, i work with abused women and children, i help out with the homeless, as i have been there.
this world could easily feed ten billion people, but it never will, because life is just not fair, and many in power are just evil. there also has to be quality in life, not just another human eating and pooping, there has to be something of substance in between those activities.
this is why there are laws of nature, to preserve the whole. if people out breed their ability to care for their population, they will die. charity only gives false hope and delays the inevitable.
"By way of deception, thou shalt do war."

Israel's Mossad

"The truth shall set you free."

U.S. Central Intelligence Agency Motto
lil*miss  (OP)

Canada
11/15/2009 09:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just the waisted food, thrown out leftovers and such, discarded, unsold foods in this country alone would probably make a huge dent in world hunger.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 792499

Exactly, and because of health regulations, leftover buffet food, and wilted vegetables(which have some nutrition, and are better than nothing) are thrown out. There are homeless and hungry here who could benefit. And they aren't sitting on their asses waiting for a handout. This recession is not their fault.

Waste not want not.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/15/2009 09:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Please, invoking the Holocaust already are we?

Look im not a heartless piece of shit. I'd prefer noone in the entire world starve to death. But, there is an expression, the path to hell is paved with good intentions.

Let me give you an example. If no one was allowed to hunt deer, the deer population explodes. A few years later many many many dead starve to death in the winter. Bird populations are destroyed because all the underbrush is gone, so many that do live have fewer places to lay eggs.

Wouldn't it be better to prevent such population density to begin with?

If people refuse to take responsibility for having 10 kids they cannot feed, then why the fuck should others have to take up the slack.

I feel sorry for the children in that situation, but suppose I do send them enough rice or flour to not starve to death, then what? If they took responsibility and only had a few kids each it would have been worth the effort to save them, but odds are they will each have 10.

Now we have 101 mouths to feed. Damn.

See where this is headed?

Anyways, you can feed them all if you wish, an I hope you the best in your attempts.

As for me, I refuse to perpetuate the cycle of poverty.
lil*miss  (OP)

Canada
11/15/2009 09:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
this person is correct , imho. life is a lot of things, but it is not fair. i have done mission work outside of the usa, and i will do more, i work with abused women and children, i help out with the homeless, as i have been there.
this world could easily feed ten billion people, but it never will, because life is just not fair, and many in power are just evil. there also has to be quality in life, not just another human eating and pooping, there has to be something of substance in between those activities.
this is why there are laws of nature, to preserve the whole. if people out breed their ability to care for their population, they will die. charity only gives false hope and delays the inevitable.
 Quoting: malu

I don't think you truly believe that or you wouldn't be doing all of that work. You are making an effort in the war against poverty. I don't think you feel you are wasting your time, as you are signing up for more. You may be pragmatic, but not heartless.

I know for a fact that you can buy goats, and cows, and educate children for less than five hundred bucks. A well costs another five hundred. If you don't need a new cell phone or Iphone or Ipod for Christmas, you could ask for that.

Last Edited by lil*miss on 11/15/2009 09:37 PM
lil*miss  (OP)

Canada
11/15/2009 09:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
Please, invoking the Holocaust already are we?

As for me, I refuse to perpetuate the cycle of poverty.

No one has invoked the Holocaust here at all. But this is a huge forum, and if we can educate some people on how to teach others to be self sustaining it harms no one.

If you don't like the topic, don't click on the thread.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 819418
United States
11/15/2009 09:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well, maybe if their parents got a job or get an education they wouldn't be in such a mess, so who cares.

I'm only kidding, but I imagine that's the sentiment of the average GLP person, cause I find many who come to this site to be evil. You mention that every six second a child dies of starvation and any feeling of sadness is immediately pushed back by a defensive posture, I guess because they think helping them would be socialism which they associate with Obama. But actually I think it's much deeper than that. I haven't read any comments yet, but I imagine many of them will lack compassion.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 362078
United States
Report Abusive Post
Hey at that rate we should run out of hungry kids in short order. The you can stop bitching.
Storm

User ID: 779169
United States
Report Abusive Post
Its a total f&*^ing crime and I am complicit in it as is every other earthling who has more than they can eat. Notice no seperate country for the starving or Congressional lobby or Holocaust Memorials etc. I am ashamed. Nice to see someone post this.
Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty.
-Thomas Jefferson
Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid.
—Raymond Chandler, 1944
Is man an ape or an angel? Now I am on the side of the angels.
—Benjamin Disraeli, 1864
I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.
James A. Baldwin
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 819418
United States
11/15/2009 09:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well, maybe if their parents got a job or get an education they wouldn't be in such a mess, so who cares.

I'm only kidding, but I imagine that's the sentiment of the average GLP person, cause I find many who come to this site to be evil. You mention that every six second a child dies of starvation and any feeling of sadness is immediately pushed back by a defensive posture, I guess because they think helping them would be socialism which they associate with Obama. But actually I think it's much deeper than that. I haven't read any comments yet, but I imagine many of them will lack compassion.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 819418

Judging from my experience on GLP.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 754773
United States
Report Abusive Post
I hope they live long enough to get vaccinated.
malu

User ID: 800077
United States
Report Abusive Post

I don't think you truly believe that or you wouldn't be doing all of that work. You are making and effort in the war against poverty. I don't think you feel you are wasting your time, as you are signing up for more. You may be pragmatic, but not heartless.

I know for a fact that you can buy goats, and cows, and educate children for less than five hundred bucks. A well costs another five hundred. If you don't need a new cell phone or Iphone or Ipod for Christmas, you could ask for that.

i agree, but yes i am a realist. i do what i can and could probably do more. you can not help people that won't help themselves, that is a fact, so i think discretion needs to be used when giving a hand
i deal with addicts/alcoholics in recovery everyday, as i am one, and i know that 90% will die, active in addiction.
"By way of deception, thou shalt do war."

Israel's Mossad

"The truth shall set you free."

U.S. Central Intelligence Agency Motto
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 812062
United States
Report Abusive Post
That is a fact.

However, there is another fact that is never discussed. What do their parents do aside from waiting around for handouts to better their lives, and themselves???

If these people would stop being so fricking selfish and actually work together, then their quality of life would increase. Instead they are wrapped up in their petty hatreds and tribal differences resulting in nothing more than the same shit we see on the streets here in the cities of America. Rape, murder, rob and steal...

You cannot help those whom are unwilling to help themselves. Like pouring money into the sea...
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 693590
idiot, devoid of understanding or compassion. likely you will wind up in the same hopeless boat they are now in when tshtf.
Storm

United States
11/15/2009 09:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
Though there is help for the starving should they happen to pass out on top of a marketable resource.
Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty.
-Thomas Jefferson
Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid.
—Raymond Chandler, 1944
—Benjamin Disraeli, 1864
I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.
James A. Baldwin
Storm

United States
11/15/2009 09:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
What you do for the LEAST of your brethren you do for ME!
-Thomas Jefferson
—Raymond Chandler, 1944
—Benjamin Disraeli, 1864
James A. Baldwin
TXGal4Truth

User ID: 810923
Canada
11/15/2009 09:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hey at that rate we should run out of hungry kids in short order. The you can stop bitching.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 362078

Sick...
So have I now become your enemy for telling you the TRUTH? Galatians 4:16
You call me paranoid. I call you uninformed.

:tgdmwt:
Princess Bride

User ID: 819022
United States
11/15/2009 09:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm not completely sure educating the women in some of these societies is the answer. The problem is cultural and the entire society needs educating.

What needs to happen is for the women who are educated to have opportunities in their societies, outside of marriage.
One of the biggest problems is the tremendous pressure these women are put under to have children. They are subjected to terrible brutality, such as FGM. Then they are essentially chattle and forced into marriage at tender ages.

What is really astounding, and has been found to be the case in many of these places, is that the men are resistant to using birth control and refuse to be educated on the value of it. They refuse to cooperate with various b.c. methods. Unfortunately, they view women and their children as their property and treat them with indiffernce on a par with the worst cases of animal abuse.

If the women could be empowered and the men could see tangible benefits from that empowerment, then maybe there could be some hope. Otherwise, starvation will be the sad and deplorable outcome. As it stands, those men are currently to selfish to care about their own flesh and blood and only look to their own pleasure with no regard for humanity or the futre.

Sadly, you see a lot of these same heartless and cruel attitudes towards women and children in our own society expressed most clearly right on GLP. No one really talks like they do on this forum IRL. Here we read the sick, unvarnished truth.
Heart of the heroes, ride.
Up through an empty house of stars,
Being what heart you are,
Up the inhuman steeps of space
As on a staircase go in grace,
Carrying the firelight on your face
Beyond the loneliest star.
"The Ballad Of The White Horse,"
G. K. Chesterton
spam [link to lunarose47.wordpress.com] blog[/url]
spam [link to w11.haters]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 792499
United States
11/15/2009 09:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
That is a fact.

idiot, devoid of understanding or compassion. likely you will wind up in the same hopeless boat they are now in when tshtf.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 812062

Many of these people would just get a few bullets through their skull from their own rogue governments for even trying to help themselves.
Princess Bride

User ID: 819022
United States
11/15/2009 09:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
i agree, but yes i am a realist. i do what i can and could probably do more. you can not help people that won't help themselves, that is a fact, so i think discretion needs to be used when giving a hand
i deal with addicts/alcoholics in recovery everyday, as i am one, and i know that 90% will die, active in addiction.

Addiction is a worldwide problem, but it doesn't follow that all poor in the third world are poor due to addiction or lack of motivation to help themselves. Something bigger went wrong then malingering. Look to our religions, colonialism and the destroyed cultures that resulted, polygamy, misogyny, oppression, sex slavery and a plethera of all sorts of factors that war on the people of the earth.
Don't get me wrong, addiction is one fo those factors, but only one. It's the one that kills the pain from all the others.
Heart of the heroes, ride.
Up through an empty house of stars,
Being what heart you are,
Up the inhuman steeps of space
As on a staircase go in grace,
Carrying the firelight on your face
Beyond the loneliest star.
"The Ballad Of The White Horse,"
G. K. Chesterton
spam [link to lunarose47.wordpress.com] blog[/url]
spam [link to w11.haters]

GLP