Ring Around the Moon Mystery

3DR
User ID: 693590
United States
12/02/2009 11:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Ring Around the Moon Mystery
For those that were concerned or curious about the ring around the moon last night it has been confirmed, as stated in the thread posted last night that this was due to ice crystals and a very thin layer of cirrus clouds.

When the thread came up, I poked my head out the window and we had no ring around the moon here in Killadelphia and it was a crystal clear night. Here is the article. Beautiful image too btw... Very cool. No Pun intendedcheers

[link to buzz.yahoo.com]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 693590
United States
12/02/2009 11:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Ring Around the Moon Mystery
Link to image

[link to news.yahoo.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 832447
United States
12/02/2009 11:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
3 days ago is when it started here in NC.

Though it was different.

There where no clouds in the sky. Crisp sky, but there was huge perfect ring around the moon that looked that a cloud.

When other clouds would happen to past by once in a while it would pass through this cloud ring and the ring would stay put.

I know the link is about more of a light ring when there are clouds. I saw that too. but that was not what I saw 3 days ago.
ShadowFox

User ID: 831438
Malaysia
12/03/2009 12:11 AM
Report Abusive Post
That's exactly what I saw a few days ago!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 832468
United Arab Emirates
12/03/2009 12:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
3 days ago is when it started here in NC.

Though it was different.

There where no clouds in the sky. Crisp sky, but there was huge perfect ring around the moon that looked that a cloud.

When other clouds would happen to past by once in a while it would pass through this cloud ring and the ring would stay put.

I know the link is about more of a light ring when there are clouds. I saw that too. but that was not what I saw 3 days ago.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 832447

I saw that too. What a sight! The moon was so bright that it made it look like dusk outside. The cloud ring surrounded the bright moon. The moon, which had a halo and rays, was right in the middle of it, like a white bullseye. I've seen so many strange lunar appearances during the past year. One night, it looked like a dark moon was blocking a light moon. It was an optical illusion, but it was cool.

GLP