Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,064 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 849,017
Pageviews Today: 1,518,322Threads Today: 504Posts Today: 10,697
03:03 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Were You Part Of The "Mentally Gifted Minds" Program In California Scools back in the 70's?

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17927000
United States
10/23/2012 07:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Were You Part Of The "Mentally Gifted Minds" Program In California Scools back in the 70's?
Yes. This was the common rule that I saw with various gifted education programs:

These files and the information contained therein
shall not be placed in the student’s cumulative record folder.
The files shall be maintained in a separate locked storage
facility/file cabinet, and access to the information shall be
resticted to those personnel working directly with the
identification process, gifted education purposes, or that
have a documented need to know. Parents shall have access
to these records .

In other words, the records for the gifted program were not kept with the student's regular school records.

Also common:

Records of placement decisions and data on all nominated students will be kept on file for a minimum of five years or for as long as needed for educational decisions.

Awesome name for the school played a major point in picking this one as an example lol: [link to www.oologah.k12.ok.us]

Hence the destruction of the records after the 5 year period that was mentioned on the thread earlier.

Also interesting: [link to www.education.com]
 Quoting: ArmchairObserver

I run into this in almost every state.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/23/2012 07:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Were You Part Of The "Mentally Gifted Minds" Program In California Scools back in the 70's?
Sorry for random posting - I just keep finding things that I want to share. Also, I'm still reading and absorbing - I found a lot of articles (sage) something on everyone in that original list (except Bushnell - only random reference to System Development Corporation). Interesting reading.

Here is a Self-Test from Creativity, ESP, and Meditation; the JOHN CURTIS GOWAN Memorial Website of Psychic Phenomena, Mental Health, and Paranormal Psychology

[link to neurotheology.50megs.com]

John Gowan authored or was the subject in many of the articles/material I found on sage. Mary Meeker has the second most info. I'm thinking that the two of them were the major players in creating the curriculum/foundation of the MGM program in CA. I'm working on organizing my info - I'll lay it out when I complete it.
ArmchairObserver

User ID: 12411641
United States
10/23/2012 08:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
Awesome and I'm just as bad about it so you won't see me throwing a stone at you for it.

I took the Northridge Developmental Scale the other night. Got a score of 60 on the S. Scored a whopping 7 on the N's, which I thought was funny. Like 27, yeah, I want to go away and pull things in with me. Think that's a pretty normal response to reading the stuff I've been reading, lol. Just about all of my N's were tied back to emotional responses due to the program, lol.
AO
Kaw-liga
User ID: 17257777
United States
10/24/2012 10:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
Were any of these questions?Brevity please.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16765647
Canada
10/24/2012 10:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
How the mutherfuck is this pinned...smh.

When it comes to intelligence on important you people are straight dumbasses...
Kaw-liga
United States
10/24/2012 11:00 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 16765647

In troll city it's hard to move an inch.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26228890
United States
10/24/2012 11:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
I was in one in kansas in the early 90s
ArmchairObserver

United States
10/25/2012 03:49 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 16765647

In troll city it's hard to move an inch.
 Quoting: Kaw-liga 17257777

Technically, he asked a question. He could be a dataminer, perchance.

Kidding. I don't think he is but I also don't think that anyone of concern to us who would be following this thread for any such purpose would make their presence known on it. It's kind of like my trying to get Dr. Magary to answer a few questions or talk a little more. That's probably not going to happen either but it was worth a shot and I did mean it.

Also since he isn't saying anything, I thought that perhaps he'd googled himself and the thread appeared like I saw with Gowan's name in a search. It didn't though. It took his name and something more specific like mentally gifted to get this thread to pop up on a google search first page. Since I'm pretty certain and disheartened that he isn't going to talk, I figured I would share that I was wrong. If I had said it when I noted it, that would've reduced the chance to zero for certain. I don't know if that means that the thread was noted and being watched or not. It's just odd and I don't think it was someone pretending either. I confirmed the info he provided and it would've been obscure to anyone else.

One more thing though--he could've been using a google notification system. I do that for myself and my real name. That would've notified him of a new add on the web to his name. So still could be how he found us. Still glad he chimed in, too.

Last Edited by Porcelain on 10/25/2012 03:52 AM
AO
ArmchairObserver

United States
10/25/2012 11:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
Found some of my old toys as a kid online. Thought maybe that it would help somebody else remember something:

[link to www.starmajic.com]

Edit: can't fix the links so Brainteasters--the Astrologic Star and Money Maze. Bummer about the direct links. Sorry!

Last Edited by Porcelain on 10/25/2012 02:22 PM
AO
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26160800
United Kingdom
10/25/2012 11:55 AM
Report Abusive Post
Found some of my old toys as a kid online. Thought maybe that it would help somebody else remember something:

Hippie!
Only one of those links leads to an item BTW.
The other two just go to what's probably a search page.
Kaw-liga
United States
10/25/2012 12:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
cant say i ever learned about Hp blavatsky and TM .. how ever we seemed to do lots of logic puzzles on the computers ...and also had point sytems for reading the more you read the more points and the higher the reading level the more points you would get ( i was never a big reader) so i cant comment or remember the material... guided visualization ( can you tell me what you did?) i remeber we used to do group guided meditation in class shut off all the lights (sometimes lead by the teacher and sometimes a recording)
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 13404684

You weren't in it though. I was and I do remember Blavatsky, TM, Crowley, and much, much more. My journals from the time are filled with occult symbols.

Quick edit ps: And world mythology. Lots of mythology.

i feel TONS of children books have insane ammounts of occult meaning and hidden meanings (but we dont see it as children) but now that we look back we understand because of our new found intelligence on finding these hidden meanings in everything

you look back now and are just mind boggled by it all now right? but you didnt know then

i feel its happening now and always has

i find when i look back on things now... or even what i see on tv or movies books in the present time all have new meanings now ( i see all the hidden occult crap) i mean i know its not Crowley but it probably came from him and is fed to us in more advance ways or more hidden ways
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 13404684

Everything is occult And/or slight of hand.Blavatsky comes up in my research as well.
Kaw-liga
United States
10/25/2012 12:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Houdini as well.Many original founders of secret service were magicians or trained by them.Slight of hand illusion etc.Many ancient societies used a combination of actual spirituality and theatrics to get they're point across.
Kaw-liga
United States
10/25/2012 12:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Whatever they taught us in the program I'm sure used tons of yogic/occult techniques.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25915113
United States
10/25/2012 12:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Only on page 60 but this thread is tripping me out.

I was likely in the program in So Ca. From 77-80, give or take a year. I moved after that and while I still had advanced material I was no longer tested continuously. A couple years after that I moved again and my records were lost. I had the bright idea of failing my placement test in 8th grade, I was spelling cat after that. I ended up taking the more advanced GED and placed well even after all that. I just had absolutely no motivation for material items. German, Scott/Irish as well, I think that was a case of them seeing what they wanted. Possibly looking to continue the German studies?

So I have taken a lot of time off from learning and I’m trying to make a template to help facilitate learning more efficiently, similar to how they taught us. I’ll add to what I’ve written to help make it easier for anyone else to follow. If anyone else has anything to add to help flesh it out, it would be appreciated. Any tips and tricks you've learned, mine are mostly about controlling the body (heartbeat etc.).

Thread: How to control the human body (emotions, heartbeat, dreams, energy etc).
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/25/2012 01:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
Ok - here is the information I'm piecing together. Granted, this doesn't explain anything specific on what was done or how the program was put together, but it does lay out what these people were thinking/what their philosophies were. I'll reference 'sage docs' and you can do a look-up there to find the articles or I'll post a direct link, when possible.

Don Bushnell - worked for System Development Corporation in Santa Monica, CA. Don Bushnell/SDC was one of the Contracting Agencies involved with developing the MGM program.

System Development Corporation is in the sage docs:
System Development Corporation Gowan/Bushnell - Educational and Psychological Measurement-1965-Coleman-943-4 (1).pdf
(Harold Borko of SDC did a book review for Gifted Child Quarterly, GCQ)

Links Harold Borko and Don Bushnell:
[link to oai.dtic.mil]

System Development Corporation Wiki:
[link to en.wikipedia.org]
(Look up significant contributions)

Article on Outcome Based Systems - referencing D. Bushnell:
[link to www.ourcivilisation.com]

A list of books and articles by D. Bushnell:
[link to catalog.hathitrust.org]

The Effects of Electronic Data Processing in Future Instructional Systems:
[link to www.dtic.mil]
(look for Attitude Changing Machines, page 3)

Link to info on D.Bushnell w/Fielding:
[link to giving.fielding.edu]

Technology and Education:
[link to books.google.com]

Computer Assisted Learning:
[link to rer.sagepub.com]
(look for Psychological Experimentation)

Annotated Bibliography on the Design of Instructional Systems:
[link to www.dtic.mil]
(report for the Chief of Research and Development, Dept. of the Army - Harold Barko mentioned)

Computer Based Simulation - in Education:
[link to www.springerlink.com]
(can't read entire article)

Appreciation of C.West Churchman:
[link to projects.isss.org]
(look at About the Author, references Bushnell)

Educational Data Processing:
[link to oai.dtic.mil]

I'm going to do this in chunks. Next up Joseph P. Rice.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26160800
United Kingdom
10/25/2012 01:34 PM
Report Abusive Post

I was likely in the program in So Ca. From 77-80, give or take a year. I moved after that and while I still had advanced material I was no longer tested continuously. A couple years after that I moved again and my records were lost. I had the bright idea of failing my placement test in 8th grade, I was spelling cat after that. I ended up taking the more advanced GED and placed well even after all that. I just had absolutely no motivation for material items. German, Scott/Irish as well, I think that was a case of them seeing what they wanted. Possibly looking to continue the German studies?

So I have taken a lot of time off from learning and I’m trying to make a template to help facilitate learning more efficiently, similar to how they taught us. I’ll add to what I’ve written to help make it easier for anyone else to follow. If anyone else has anything to add to help flesh it out, it would be appreciated. Any tips and tricks you've learned, mine are mostly about controlling the body (heartbeat etc.).

Thread: How to control the human body (emotions, heartbeat, dreams, energy etc).
 Quoting: Coma Patient #7

I wouldn't make attempts towards controlling the body, especially the heartbeat. There is a very long established reason why our bodies react to things the way they do, to change that is to shorten your life. Take it from someone that can act like Neo with the slow heartbeat in crisis but that is dying a little faster each day because the heart compensates for that oddity by going unnaturally fast during day to day dullness.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/25/2012 02:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
Joseph P. Rice was a Project Coordinator for the MGM Program.
Joseph P. Rice:
Book Review for Joseph P. Rice - Gifted Child Quarterly-1987-Reis-96-7.pdf
(Sage doc - The Gifted: Developing Total Talent)

Joseph P. Rice was also involved with Project Talent.

The California Curriculum Project for the Gifted:
[link to gcq.sagepub.com]
(this sage doc is by Plowman and references Price and all the other principals of the MGM program)

Paul D. Plowman
was a Project Coordinator for the MGM Program.
Paul D. Plowman:
California Curriculum - Gifted Child Quarterly-1969-Plowman-113-5 (1).pdf
(Sage Doc - The California Curriculum Project for the Gifted)

Paul Plowman wrote: The Rise and Fall of Gifted Education in California, 1987

Irving Sato was a Project Coordinator for the MGM Program.
Irving Sato:
View from Myopia - Gifted Child Quarterly-1972-Gowan-253-5.pdf
(Sage doc - shows governmental involvement)

Irving Sato was part of the National/State Leadership Training Institute on the Gifted and Talented

These three above have the least amount of information available on the web.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/25/2012 02:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
James Magary was a Principle Agent in the MGM Program Development.

Questions and Answers on the Gifted in Education and Society:

There isn't much information on Magary when searching the web. Random quotes only.
ArmchairObserver

United States
10/25/2012 02:34 PM
Report Abusive Post

I wouldn't make attempts towards controlling the body, especially the heartbeat. There is a very long established reason why our bodies react to things the way they do, to change that is to shorten your life. Take it from someone that can act like Neo with the slow heartbeat in crisis but that is dying a little faster each day because the heart compensates for that oddity by going unnaturally fast during day to day dullness.
 Quoting: The Light Under the Door

I second that issue. Heart arrhythmia here of an "electrical" nature. Purportedly gets a skewed message from the brain time to time yet unnaturally slow during "crisis" modes. Not a thing to mess with at all.
AO
ArmchairObserver

United States
10/25/2012 02:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
No direct associations to the gifted program but I do keep noting Rand popping up on the sidelines. It's interesting. Looks like they do analysis of a variety of things that the government would be interested in. Guess that explains why Rand pops up in regards to the gifted or education but thought it worth noting. They used to call themselves a think tank and my grandpa always warned me to watch out for think tanks. Maybe that's why I'm noting/posting it, lol.
[link to www.rand.org]
AO
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/25/2012 02:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
Mary Meekerwas a Principle Agent in the MGM Program.

Brain Research: The Necessity for Separating Sites, Actions, and Functions
[link to gct.sagepub.com]

What About Creativity for the Pre-School Child?

Differential Syndromes of Giftedness and Curriculum Planning: A Four-Year Follow-Up
[link to sed.sagepub.com]

Creative Experiences for the Educationally and Neurologically Handicapped Who Are Gifted

Identifying Potential Giftedness
[link to bul.sagepub.com]

Learning Disabilities: A Diagnostic and Educational Challenge
[link to ldx.sagepub.com]

S.O.I.: A Qualitatively Different Program for the Gifted (references Mary Meeker Program SOI)

Use of S.O.I. Abilities for Prediction
(references Mary Meeker)

The Prophecy of Giftedness

What Happens When High School Ends?

There are a ton of online references to Mary Meekers work and how it is utilized all over the world

Mary Meeker Wiki page:
[link to en.wikipedia.org]

Mary Meekers' Husband Robert Meeker Experimental Psychology - he worked for System Development Corporation.

Pacifist Bargaining Tactics: A Laboratory DEVELOPMENT
Assessment of Some "Outsider" Influences*
[link to www.dtic.mil]
(US Department of Defense Research Project)

METHODOLOGICAL ADVANCES, IN POLITICAL GAMING:THE 0NE-PERSON COMPUTER INTERACTIVE qUASI-RIGID Rule Game:
[link to www.dtic.mil]

Cognitive Skills Training Improves Listening and Visual Memory for Academic and Career Success
[link to www.memspan.com]
(references R. Meeker and SOI)

There is lots of information on the Web regarding Mary Meeker and her husband Robert Meeker.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25915113
United States
10/25/2012 03:07 PM
Report Abusive Post

And yet we indirectly do it daily, by changing our thoughts and emotions. I would agree under most circumstances controlling these functions directly may have side effects. But I'm certain the body has safe guards for those as well, it is a system of redundancies. But warning taken, caution shall be used.
ArmchairObserver

United States
10/25/2012 03:43 PM
Report Abusive Post

And yet we indirectly do it daily, by changing our thoughts and emotions. I would agree under most circumstances controlling these functions directly may have side effects. But I'm certain the body has safe guards for those as well, it is a system of redundancies. But warning taken, caution shall be used.

It does. I personally think that much of some of our illnesses may have some sort of psychosomatic aspect to them. There could be a real predicating source of the illness but the illness is amplified because of the suppression or control over thoughts and emotions. It's like my sweating blood. I was suppressing a great deal and my body responded by seeping blood from my pores. Lift the suppression and control of these responses and gee, I don't do that anymore. Nor am I as sick with autoimmune problems as I once was. So I suspect that even those can backfire tremendously based on my own self observations.
AO
ArmchairObserver

United States
10/25/2012 04:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
This one. This one right here: [link to www.dtic.mil]

I mentioned previously that, after I found out by accident (was not even informed) that my son was in a gifted program, I demanded to be allowed access to the gifted class to view what was occurring. (I had no recollection as to why I felt that way. In fact, started looking at gifted program stuff to try to comprehend why I reacted the way I did--hence how I found out about the higher drug/alcohol and suicide rates). Anyways, on the day that I went in there, my son and the other children were making board games with diverging points but where the winner of the game was the first to reach the "end" or specified ideal outcome. These were 3rd grade gifted. I recognized it as being something that was done with me as well but not in any direct memory. I can't say "oh we did this subject and etc etc" but doing something more verbal based along those same lines. Presented with a scenario (crisis) and given options to proceed, etc etc. I'm guessing that the above pdf is the source of that part of the gifted program. Actually, screw guessing. I'm certain.

Last Edited by Porcelain on 10/25/2012 04:03 PM
AO
Kaw
User ID: 18064103
United States
10/28/2012 06:33 PM
Report Abusive Post

Part of the reason for this program was probably to find people who could alter the past as well as the present.Weaponized remote influenceing.
Kaw
User ID: 18064103
United States
10/28/2012 06:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
No direct associations to the gifted program but I do keep noting Rand popping up on the sidelines. It's interesting. Looks like they do analysis of a variety of things that the government would be interested in. Guess that explains why Rand pops up in regards to the gifted or education but thought it worth noting. They used to call themselves a think tank and my grandpa always warned me to watch out for think tanks. Maybe that's why I'm noting/posting it, lol.
[link to www.rand.org]

They chose 1776 as they're address.Unimaginative masonic little dipshits.
ArmchairObserver

United States
10/29/2012 03:22 AM
Report Abusive Post

Part of the reason for this program was probably to find people who could alter the past as well as the present.Weaponized remote influenceing.
 Quoting: Kaw 18064103

Eh, don't get too carried away with Gowan's time warp. He expands on what he means by that very clearly. You should read it if you haven't. I would say that what he was referring to was more of a time distortion--whether it be perceived or actual--not actual time travel. Dr. Krippner also touches on this in his Hypnosis and Creativity paper but as a way to basically maximize time usage using the way that our brains are set up to begin with. Kind of like how you can feel like you've been dreaming forever but only a few minutes has passed. That would be more like what Krippner suggests but using that time distortion phenomena to make geniuses that can do that in a directed fashion. But for sure, they were looking for ways to weaponize things. That's the point of the 1973 Rand debriefing--ways that parapsychology could become weaponized.

And as far as them being unimaginative masonic little dipshits, I don't know. I thought the eye or perhaps fish shaped building from satellite view was rather cute and imaginative.
AO
ArmchairObserver

United States
10/29/2012 03:36 AM
Report Abusive Post
And just to add--game theory a la Meeker seems to be an expansion of game theory proposed by John Williams of Rand in 1954. Game theory is still part of the gifted curriculum.

I also find it personally interesting that my USAF high ranking grandpa warned of think tanks and the same corp was the primary think tank apparently for the USAF.

Go nudges.

[link to www.rand.org]
AO
Kaw-liga
United States
10/31/2012 02:54 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Kaw 18064103

Eh, don't get too carried away with Gowan's time warp. He expands on what he means by that very clearly. You should read it if you haven't. I would say that what he was referring to was more of a time distortion--whether it be perceived or actual--not actual time travel. Dr. Krippner also touches on this in his Hypnosis and Creativity paper but as a way to basically maximize time usage using the way that our brains are set up to begin with. Kind of like how you can feel like you've been dreaming forever but only a few minutes has passed. That would be more like what Krippner suggests but using that time distortion phenomena to make geniuses that can do that in a directed fashion. But for sure, they were looking for ways to weaponize things. That's the point of the 1973 Rand debriefing--ways that parapsychology could become weaponized.

And as far as them being unimaginative masonic little dipshits, I don't know. I thought the eye or perhaps fish shaped building from satellite view was rather cute and imaginative.

Found out about the MK/Remote Influencing studies on my own.I will have to go through this new info in between my recent independent study.You guys unearthed some good stuff.Lived in Santa Monica First 4 or 5 years of my life.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10731394
United Kingdom
10/31/2012 05:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
Found out about the MK/Remote Influencing studies on my own.I will have to go through this new info in between my recent independent study.You guys unearthed some good stuff.Lived in Santa Monica First 4 or 5 years of my life.
 Quoting: Kaw-liga 17257777

What's the tech side of remote influencing (ignoring the psychic theories)?

GLP