Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,641 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 184,792
Pageviews Today: 305,139Threads Today: 98Posts Today: 1,741
03:57 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Were You Part Of The "Mentally Gifted Minds" Program In California Scools back in the 70's?

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 825664
United States
01/12/2010 11:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Were You Part Of The "Mentally Gifted Minds" Program In California Scools back in the 70's?
How many people did this program ruin? Who didn't do a damn thing at all after that? I know I never tried from then on, even in college. Or, maybe it was because pot was legal. These are the great mysteries.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 709330
United States
01/12/2010 11:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Were You Part Of The "Mentally Gifted Minds" Program In California Scools back in the 70's?
yup.

the lion the witch and the wardrobe, charlie and the chocolate factory, charlie and the great glass elevator, the wizard of oz, the hobbit,lord of the rings

these were only some of them.
 Quoting: nanuke

same here again. i read all of those books in grade school and a few of the others listed. i always assumed those were standard for everyone but have recently realized my bf has not read any of the "classics" that i remember reading.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 863054
United States
01/12/2010 11:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
NO, because I was only "gifted" from the waist down........
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 836491
United States
01/12/2010 11:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
I remember reading the lord of the rings trilogy myself, followed by chronicles of narnia and then the first and second chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I read all of these in the 4-5th grade time frame.

Then in my 6th grade year it was pretty much as describe in other posts, they would take me from my regular class a few times a week and we'd do various testing or perform a play or some other art related project. I was never interested in the art/drama stuff so it was all very boring for me.

I was also put in bi-lingual classes from K-3rd for some reason even though I was 100% American whiteboy, they thought it was good for my overall education if I were to learn spanish. Not sure if these are related, I don't remember much of my childhood either.

Now I have a 10yr old son and although he's doing fine in school there's no way he'd have the ability to sit and read through these. Either I was much more advanced or the education system has changed considerably.
nanuke

User ID: 815174
United States
01/12/2010 11:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
yup.

the lion the witch and the wardrobe, charlie and the chocolate factory, charlie and the great glass elevator, the wizard of oz, the hobbit,lord of the rings

these were only some of them.

same here again. i read all of those books in grade school and a few of the others listed. i always assumed those were standard for everyone but have recently realized my bf has not read any of the "classics" that i remember reading.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 709330

it's NOT standard.

they were doing something. grooming us?
diving into rhine stuff early as well.
and i've mentioned on here before i delved into zitchen danniken at an early age.

seriously...
what was going on?
~you are love
~the key...it's almost time.

!poke the bulge!

~here is my hand...it can be closed like a fist...or open to hold...yet it is still my hand.
~Today is cancelled...due to lack of interest.
~Without order nothing exists. Without chaos nothing evolves.

ac 618285:
~"without both order and chaos, the illusion would not be able to continue.
one day in the far away future, order will submit to chaos and the entire illusion will vanish."
--------------------------------
:nan1:
what?
User ID: 860974
United States
01/12/2010 11:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
Were you ever removed, many times, from your regular class for "testing"?

Were you shown a series of high speed images on a television, not once, but many times?

Was the school psychologist selectively interested in you?
 Quoting: Jane Grey 862970

In NJ in the 70's there was a group or one class of kids that seemed different than everybody else. They were together from 1st to 6th grade. I never saw any but one girl later in high school. I always wondered what it was about those kids that was different. I do remember many in the class were very artistic. These kids even looked similar or related if you will. Weird!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 853352
United States
01/12/2010 11:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
Naw. I rode the short bus, yet I'm here too :)
alan LouBowski

User ID: 860790
United States
01/12/2010 11:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
and i've mentioned on here before i delved into zitchen danniken at an early age.

you are so funny.

what is this stuff?

zitchen danniken?
i will so pone you
what?
United States
01/12/2010 11:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
'get over it basketcase'

I'm coming for you, Sweetie.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 862970

If you are that insecure, then I think the poster is acurate!
Lil Miss Trouble

User ID: 617593
United States
01/12/2010 11:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
I was in the GATE program and so was my little sister. I remember the puzzle that was posted and reading some of the books mentioned but not much else
My shop~ [link to www.artfire.com]

There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart.
PhenomAnonymous

User ID: 847126
United States
01/12/2010 11:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
Maybe if you see one of the tests, it will jar your memory? I remember everything but of course that is an inherited trait for me.

We were also encouraged to read certain books. Do you remember going to the library, scrambling to get THE book before it was checked out? This was an effect that was totally created. I remember checking the same few books out and keeping them over due, just to see the other kids not be able to get them.

Books that were encouraged were: A Wrinkle in Time, The Elephant Man (That was my personal favorite to withhold), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and any of the books from the Choose Your Own Adventure Series.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 863003

good call. i did read A Wrinkle In Time, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and as many Choose Your Own Adventure books that I could get. I never read Elephant Man. I do remember going to the library a lot. I vividly remember getting books on UFOs, the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, and Beginning French.

As far as the tests go, it's worth a shot. throw some tests my way and I'll see if I recognize any of them. I remember doing a lot of logic puzzles and shape puzzles as well as TONS of math and reading tests. The thing is, I don't remember doing any of these with a group of kids or in any special class. I remember the tests and the books and leaving class and talking to a number of adults (teachers and counselors) but no "gifted class". This probably wouldn't even get any attention from me if my mom wouldn't have told me I was in the "Gifted & Talented" Program when I was in school.
nanuke

United States
Report Abusive Post
Were you ever removed, many times, from your regular class for "testing"?

Were you shown a series of high speed images on a television, not once, but many times?

Was the school psychologist selectively interested in you?

In NJ in the 70's there was a group or one class of kids that seemed different than everybody else. They were together from 1st to 6th grade. I never saw any but one girl later in high school. I always wondered what it was about those kids that was different. I do remember many in the class were very artistic. These kids even looked similar or related if you will. Weird!
 Quoting: what? 860974

we had different lunch and recess periods from the rest of the school.

we never mixed in with the rest of the school population.

we were all artistic.
a few were big at writing.
a few at math.
a few at science.
a few at history.

the point is, we all "excelled" at something, were advanced in the rest and they added a few components with the special lessons.

people this is a big deal.

were these kids indigoes? similar? or something else?
~you are love

!poke the bulge!

~here is my hand...it can be closed like a fist...or open to hold...yet it is still my hand.

ac 618285:
one day in the far away future, order will submit to chaos and the entire illusion will vanish."
what?
United States
Report Abusive Post
Naw. I rode the short bus, yet I'm here too :)
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 853352

Thank God, brother me too! Notice how almost all the posters were also in a similar program....makes me wonder what the motivation really is for comming here?
mommamic
User ID: 826507
United States
01/12/2010 11:31 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yes. In the 80's in Ohio. Most of us that started "gifted and talented" went on to be placed in the college prep program later on in jr high and high school. I don't remember flashing lights however. sbus
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 656642
United States
Report Abusive Post

you are so funny.

what is this stuff?

zitchen danniken?
 Quoting: alan LouBowski

Chariots of the Gods by Erich Von Daniken. 6th grade for me Nanuke.

[link to www.mysteries-of-the-world.com]
nanuke

United States
Report Abusive Post
crappity.

i have a mtg to go to.

i will definately check in when i get back though.

this is way weird.
~you are love

!poke the bulge!

ac 618285:
alan LouBowski

User ID: 860790
United States
01/12/2010 11:35 AM
Report Abusive Post

i personally was a juvenile delinquent.

really, trully. my teachers couldnt teach me anything. they tried though.
school was just a 12 year gulag.

one teacher i actually gave her a mental breakdown.

poor thing
i will so pone you
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 827436
United States
01/12/2010 11:35 AM
Report Abusive Post
My kid was. The 'instructor' had 4th grade boys dressing paper dolls. She noticed their 'inability' to put underware on before jeans and t-shirts. "That's when I realized there was something very basic missing from these children." she said.

YES, I replied... 4th grade boys don't care about dressing paper dolls!!! The program was cut the next year.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/12/2010 11:45 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: alan LouBowski

I don't know, to me it was normal and I thought it was fun. I was always bored in the regular classes, would read a book under my desk, never had to study to get good grades.

I am wondering what the whole point of this thread was. It appears as though the OP has abandoned the thread.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 826372
Slovenia
01/12/2010 11:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
Here is another game that was used. The peg puzzle game. This is an image of a simple one but there were many more used that were much more complicated:

[link to www.joenord.com]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 863003

i loved to play with this thing, i had it all planned out how to pwn it.. also i often played chess with my granpa =O

i'm from slovenia, and i've also been diagnosed as "gifted" in primary school, but we didn't do anything special as far as i recall..

i've been thinking alot about life and existance and stuff.. i came to the point that it doesn't matter if i kill myself now, or do wierd stuff which makes no sense for the rest of my life.. dunno what to do now, can any1 help me? :\
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/12/2010 11:48 AM
Report Abusive Post
i've been thinking alot about life and existance and stuff.. i came to the point that it doesn't matter if i kill myself now, or do wierd stuff which makes no sense for the rest of my life.. dunno what to do now, can any1 help me? :\
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 826372

Stick around, one of these days it will all make sense.
I never had a clue what I was suppose to do, or why I was here. Join the crowd! LOL ;)
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/12/2010 11:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
i loved to play with this thing, i had it all planned out how to pwn it.. also i often played chess with my granpa =O

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 826372

AC 826372 something that helps me when I feel down, maybe it will help you (sorry to others that this is off topic).

May you find serenity and tranquility in a world you may not always understand.

May the pain you have known and the conflict you have experienced give you strength to walk through life facing each new situation with courage and optimism.

Always know that there are those whose love and understanding will always be there, even when you feel most alone.

May you discover enough goodness in others to believe in a world of peace.

May a kind word, a reassuring touch and a warm smile be yours every day of your life, and may you give these gifts as well as receive them.

Remember the sunshine when the storm seems unending.

Teach love to those who know hate, and let that love embrace you as you go into the world.

May the teaching of those you admire become part of you, so that you may call upon them.

Remember, those whose lives you have touched and who have touched yours are always a part of you, even if the encounters were less than you would have wished.

It is the content of the encounter that is more important than its form.

May you not become too concerned with material matters, but instead place immeasurable value on the goodness in your heart.

Find time in each day to see beauty and love in the world around you.

Realize that each person has limitless abilities, but each of us is different in our own way.

What you may feel you lack in one regard may be more than compensated for in another.

What you feel you lack in the present may become one of your strengths in the future.

May you see your future as one filled with promise and possibility.

Learn to view everything as a worthwhile experience.

May you find inner strength to determine your own worth by yourself, and not be dependent on another's judgment of your accomplishments.

May you always feel loved.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/12/2010 11:55 AM
Report Abusive Post
I really believe a person is better off being "normal" and having to TRY to do things. If things come too naturally, you can end up not trying at all. Not good.
That's my conclusion. Those programs can backfire big time...because they are all bullshit, too. The thrill was gone.
[email protected]
User ID: 859420
United States
01/12/2010 11:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
Its called Talented And Gifted here. Our group was small had kids from all over the county. All age ranges were together. We really didn't do much as far as academics. It was presented to us as science labs. We used about three hours a week to do academics. The rest was devoted to much of what you would think of a psychiatrist visit.
Wraithwynd

User ID: 717743
United States
01/12/2010 11:59 AM
Report Abusive Post
Not in California but in Kentucky and over the year I was in Wisconsin living with my grandparents for a year and a half.

Testing included a TV "test" were we watched a series of images on a movie screen that flashed by and then we had to write down what we could recall and then write it down in the order of which they appeared. Each image lasted about 30 seconds.

Further were was 'flash' images' we got to see one image for the span of a minute, after that we wrote down everything we saw in the image.

On top of that was basic skills testing, reading speed and comprehension involving a machine like a computer but nothing like today's computers with their power. We would read the screen and click a button to move to the next page. the computer tested our speed, then we were given a written 'quiz' where we answered 50+ questions about the story we had just read to test how well we comprehended it.

We were also given red and white blocks - each side of the block had the red and white in a pattern (diagonal, half across, a quarter, a cross of red on the white). We were shown a picture and had to quickly match that image with the patterns of the blocks.

In Wisconsin they placed me in class two years beyond my average age group. In Kentucky they only upped me one year.

Its all part of the 'IQ' type testing where they test you and if you are above average they place you in classes to meet your needs.
Sinkhole list:
Thread: Sinkholes Updated 28 Dec 2010
find a sinkhole, add it to this thread, please.

"Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him." (1 John 3:15, NKJV).
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 488240
United States
01/12/2010 12:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
yes yes and yes

MGM

removed from class

strange tests

strange videos

i remember specifically being "unprogrammed" from the programming everyone else had

I have talked about this a few times

anonstoner
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/12/2010 12:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
GATE here
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 853137

GATE came after MGM. it was the same thing. I was in both. MGM was... more intense. Maybe because I was younger.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 36898
United States
01/12/2010 12:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
I was in a program like this with one other child from my school. Outside people came in and performed IQ tests at the age of six. Were any of you encouraged to move up multiple grade levels? Did anyone else finish the regular grade school curriculum years early? By about 5th grade I made my own curriculum and actually could write myself a pass to leave my own class to go to other advanced classes of my choosing for the day (physics, art etc.)
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/12/2010 12:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
I remember the moment I realized I was far more brilliant than any of my MGM teachers. I was about 7 years old. I was trying to explain how my mind could instantly process complex mathematics without the need for memorized routines and she didn't have a clue. My first good lesson in humoring those less intelligent than I was figuring out how to gracefully back out of that conversation.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/12/2010 12:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
I was in a program like this with one other child from my school. Outside people came in and performed IQ tests at the age of six. Were any of you encouraged to move up multiple grade levels? Did anyone else finish the regular grade school curriculum years early? By about 5th grade I made my own curriculum and actually could write myself a pass to leave my own class to go to other advanced classes of my choosing for the day (physics, art etc.)
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 36898

Having no teacher and doing my own thing was the end of it for me....LOL
In the mid 70's I don't know if they had names for programs other than calling it advanced.

GLP