Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,124 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 700,514
Pageviews Today: 1,229,495Threads Today: 526Posts Today: 8,830
02:34 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Were You Part Of The "Mentally Gifted Minds" Program In California Scools back in the 70's?

Vedic Medic

User ID: 863139
United States
01/12/2010 01:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Were You Part Of The "Mentally Gifted Minds" Program In California Scools back in the 70's?
Were you ever removed, many times, from your regular class for "testing"?

Were you shown a series of high speed images on a television, not once, but many times?

Was the school psychologist selectively interested in you?
 Quoting: Jane Grey 862970

Who are you?
What is your name?
Why do you want to know?

signed,
Hole in one
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 764206
United States
01/12/2010 02:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Were You Part Of The "Mentally Gifted Minds" Program In California Scools back in the 70's?
I also have always been troubled by what I described as entire "AGE Blocks" huge blocks of time (sometimes seemingly an entire year) in my childhood that I simply cannot recall any substantive details....just a hint of them...usually only involving one sense....I will hear something and then remember a smell from my past....I'll see something and remember a sound or a tune. Wrapped in these smells and sounds are deep feelings but I simply cannot unravel the feelings enough to try to figure what caused them. I too had a childhood "incident" that I later blamed for these blocks, but I doubt that was the cause as usually when you identify the cause of the block you can then remove it.
 Quoting: PhillyGirl 682675

This. Exactly this. Huge blocks at an age that seems to me to be far too mature to NOT remember.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 863003
United States
01/12/2010 02:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Here are some things that also played a part just prior to being identified for these programs. Before standardized tests, these requirements were more heavily relied upon:

Art

1. Self portrait. You were required to complete a self portrait of yourself by looking in a small mirror and drawing what you saw. This was often the ONLY test that was needed to determine whether a child would further testing in a private art museum.

I remember this. I can still see the protrait I drew in my mind.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 764206

Most people have similar memories that they have simply discarded as being unimportant. My brain works in quite a different way. I remember virtually everything, no matter how mundane.

Some need triggers to recall these memories. You are all very familiar with this concept. I do not need any of these triggers and my memories will remain easily accessible for my entire life. This makes it sometimes difficult for me because if I do something heinous, I cannot forget it. That is one of the reasons I have chosen to expose my kind.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 648853
United States
01/12/2010 02:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Same here in Tennessee. First started in the third grade, there were 20 of us that always got pulled out to take test that the rest of the students did not have to take. Women dressed as nurses where also in the room when we were tested. Remember one was a speed reading test. In the 5th grade I could read a scrolling text shown on an overhead screen at the rate of 230 words per minute and comprehend 95% of what I read. The testing continued until I graduated but the number of students declined. By the time I was a senior there were only 3 of us left. By my Junior year Army and Air force personal were there. The other two joined the service when we graduated, both have recently retired.
school memories
User ID: 391006
United States
01/12/2010 02:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
I was in MGM. Tested in 1971-1972. I was in 2nd grade. I remember thinking it was cool that they sent someone from Sacramento just to test my reading (which in the beginning of 2nd grade was at a 12th grade level at the time).

I started a food fight in the lunch room. Got sent to the principle's office, but didn't get in trouble to my glee and surprise. And mentioned that, that wouldn't stop my grandmother from using the leather belt on me got the principle (Mr. Marshal) to call my grandmother and smooth things over at home too!

Yes, they wanted me to skip 2 grades, but my mom declined. I was very small for my age and she thought this would make me a target for bullies etc. She wanted me to have fun in school, but I thought of school as the place where the harder I would focus, the quicker I could get out. Interesting now that I think back on that.....

In 3rd grade I took some college courses-I think they were after school, because most of what I remember is sunshine and warm weather; the class I remember the most was speed reading (which I found boring because I already did it and ended up point out something to the professor that pissed her off- can't remember what it was.)

Also yes to all the books. I was reading four or five books a week. We didn't have a lot of money, but my mom would take me to bookstores (there were several that we would frequent) to pick out books for me. She always seemed to be fine with me pulling a stack of ten or so books to read. Yes to Science Fiction too!

I was also sent to a different school for 3rd and 4th grade and remember working in some workbook for that class and finishing it way ahead of everyone else which bothered that teacher too. (I tended to not have much interest in the other kids, and would focus on a one and one relationship with the teacher..whoever that teacher was throughout my school years).

Went to yet another school in fifth grade in I remember in that class we were doing exercises about the space shuttle. They hadn't even started building the thing yet and here we were talking scenarios about it. I still have the concept drawings for the space shuttle in a closet at my mom's house. btw- it looks similar to reality, but not the same. I also have VERY fuzzy memories of talking about living on either the moon, or a space station or another planet, and different scenarios that could play out.

Something must have happened that year, because starting right about then I not only ceased to be interested in space development and other life forms, but to this day I will walk the other way, change the channel and not read any books about ET's etc. I feel like it is something I should be able to remember, but can't. But I've never had that 'they are good and here to help' vibe. Instead I view ET's as carnivores and me as a tasty bird.

After that it was all about writing. They had me do lots of writing. Stories, dreams, journals, poems.

Back to lessons- I also was in drawing and art lessons for a few years. If you showed me a picture I could draw it. And French in 6th grade was a breeze. I played multiple instruments in elementary school, but my mom drew the line at the one that I really wanted to play...the drums. (I was a tomboy at heart)

It's funny. I hadn't thought of any of this for a long time, and now tons of memories are floating to the top.....
Babe in a Bunker

User ID: 847423
United States
01/12/2010 02:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
In the 80's I was...

I wonder if that explains alot...
Well it seems so real I can see it
And it seems so real I can feel it
And it seems so real I can taste it
And it seems so real I can hear it
So why can't I touch it?
So why can't I touch it?

Twatter: [link to twitter.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 810358
United States
01/12/2010 02:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
I was in the gifted program as well. But so was my brother and several other people that didn't become conspiracy nuts.

No flashing images or anything like that.

Is there a point to this, or are you just polling?
 Quoting: Robert Mellayne

So you become a average person posting on GLP ?
Lil Miss Trouble

User ID: 617593
United States
01/12/2010 02:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
Same here in Tennessee. First started in the third grade, there were 20 of us that always got pulled out to take test that the rest of the students did not have to take. Women dressed as nurses where also in the room when we were tested. Remember one was a speed reading test. In the 5th grade I could read a scrolling text shown on an overhead screen at the rate of 230 words per minute and comprehend 95% of what I read. The testing continued until I graduated but the number of students declined. By the time I was a senior there were only 3 of us left. By my Junior year Army and Air force personal were there. The other two joined the service when we graduated, both have recently retired.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 648853

I speed read too
My shop~ [link to www.artfire.com]

There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart.
PhillyGirl
User ID: 682675
United States
01/12/2010 02:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
Here are some things that also played a part just prior to being identified for these programs. Before standardized tests, these requirements were more heavily relied upon:

Art

1. Self portrait. You were required to complete a self portrait of yourself by looking in a small mirror and drawing what you saw. This was often the ONLY test that was needed to determine whether a child would further testing in a private art museum.

2. Color interpretation. Knowing which colors to mix in order to achieve another color. This would not be considered an outstanding thing except for the fact that some children exhibited this skill at a very young age.

3. Your view of the world as expressed through art. Children would be monitored as to whether they painted the sky down to the horizon line properly.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 863003

That actually brings back fond memories for me. I had an unusual relationship with all of my teachers (they seemed to approach me on equal footing - rather than "teacher/child"), but my Art teacher actually behaved as if he was looking up to me. Always seeking out my opinion and pulling me out of class to do projects. When I moved to the new school in NJ I clashed terribly with the art teacher (who seemed - to me anyway - to have a real thing against creativity and individuality) and actually dropped the class half way through, which is pretty funny to me now since I'm a portrait artist now,.

----- One "test" I did before being told about the Gifted Child Program (I think it was before....as I said earlier I have a big problem with time/age relation prior to changing schools) was to make a life collage out of magazine photos. I was to place myself in the middle of the collage, photo's representing my past were to go to the left of my picture, and those representing my future were to be placed to the right of my photo. At the time there was much made about my color choices. Apparently it revealed an advanced ability to compartmentalize, categorize, and prioritize.

Hmmmmm....now that I read that back I wonder if this had anything to do with my growing up to feel that logic was the supreme ruler, and strength, in all things - and that emotions were disruptive weaknesses.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 656642
United States
01/12/2010 02:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
Remember one was a speed reading test.

In the 5th grade I could read a scrolling text shown on an overhead screen at the rate of 230 words per minute and comprehend 95% of what I read.

I speed read too
 Quoting: Lil Miss Trouble

Interesting, how many others can speed read? I still do, it ticks off my husband, as we will be reading something on the screen, I am ready to scroll and he is still on the top portion of the screen.
Vedic Medic

User ID: 863139
United States
01/12/2010 02:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
These programs were diet MK Ultra.

What is your name?
Where are you from?
Why are you asking?
PhillyGirl
United States
01/12/2010 02:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
Here is another game that was used. The peg puzzle game. This is an image of a simple one but there were many more used that were much more complicated:

[link to www.joenord.com]

OMGosh! I haven't seen one of those in YEARS! I used to LOVE that game!!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 764206

Part of the reason I felt I was a GIRL GEEK is because I simply loved these things. It was play time for me (as well as logic puzzles and games like Mastermind).
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 391006
United States
01/12/2010 02:16 PM
Report Abusive Post

In the 5th grade I could read a scrolling text shown on an overhead screen at the rate of 230 words per minute and comprehend 95% of what I read.

I speed read too

Interesting, how many others can speed read? I still do, it ticks off my husband, as we will be reading something on the screen, I am ready to scroll and he is still on the top portion of the screen.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 656642

lol me too. I always thought that others were just slower.
Lil Miss Trouble

United States
01/12/2010 02:18 PM
Report Abusive Post

I speed read too

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 656642

You just made me remember I would be given a book on a Friday and would have to turn in a book report on it the following Monday. It only took me around 2 hours to read and comprehend around 300 pages and this was in the 3rd or 4th grade.

and LOL about your husband! The same thing happens with my boyfriend!

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 607669
United States
01/12/2010 02:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
Not one of you mentioned SRA cards? How about Reading Techniques? We learned to speed read with a tv screen and a record that beeped. I remember being tested on The Incredible Journey, we read it in about ten minutes? You get to where you can read a whole page by looking at it, not word for word but the whole page. I can still do that, and it has come in VERY HANDY in every line of work.

I was assigned work NO ONE else was assigned when I was reading on a college level in fourth and fifth grade. FYI I didn't finish college, didn't want to finish. Was going to be an engineer, as I was told my aptitude (FOR A GIRL) was exceptional, and they wanted more women apparently in the field. I left school after two semesters, all my instructors had accents, most of the classes were Arab men, believe it or not, in the 1980s. Rather not say where, as that's a whole other subject.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/12/2010 02:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
ETs are a very important part of this. Ludens have a natural ability to commune with a demonic entity called "Ahriman". Those in the know call him "Rain Man". Many mistakenly believe that he is a part of our own minds but it is well known amongst Ludens that he is a separate entity.

More about the testing:

I was instructed to press the other children to out-achieve me. I was to consistently finish the reading exercises and their accompanying work books before the other children. For the first several days, I was to do this even if I had to use my inherited mental abilities to answer the work book questions without actually reading the books. If I felt I was in danger of being out-paced, I used these inherited mental abilities.

This method worked well and after a few days children were completing several work books per day. Other children were using one work book per year.

Once the desired reading and comprehension level was reached, we discontinued using the work books all together. That is when the other tests began.

I later used these same mental abilities to complete numerous book reports without actually reading the book at hand. It was a useful skill to have because books take time to read and sometimes a Ludens has more important tasks at hand.
PhillyGirl
United States
01/12/2010 02:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
Maybe it wasn't about intelligence, as much as it was about consciousness or the potential for consciousness. After being around a group of smart kids like that, being removed and going to "normal" classes, seemed rather mundane. How many have had paranormal/ufo experiences. To tell the truth I have never met anyone that I know of, that has had similar experience in their education. Maybe we're meeting now.
 Quoting: PieRround 845667

I can't see how it could have been just about intelligence because in my school there were a few honors students in the the program not a singer member of the Honor Society was there. Meaning that even though the IQ of the participants in the program was high, the highest IQ students in the school weren't in the program. I was told, at the time,that the IQ was important, but the clincher was how that IQ was being utilized.
Atheist

User ID: 859455
United Kingdom
01/12/2010 02:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
I was an E/F grade student my entire life, i sat an IQ test at school and scored 88.

I cant remember anything before the age of about 9 or 10 very well.
Atheist
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 859394
United States
01/12/2010 02:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
So... Were we programmed to end up here?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 862183

LOL, that's funny!
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/12/2010 02:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
These programs were diet MK Ultra.

What is your name?
Where are you from?
Why are you asking?
 Quoting: Vedic Medic

You are partially right. However, the purpose of MK Ultra was to make drones that would do the Ludens bidding. The drones can be of any intelligence level. The purpose of these tests was to identify those that already possessed certain mental abilities. They were looking specifically for those with predefined inherited traits.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 810358
United States
01/12/2010 02:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
"aNIMAL fARM!!!!"
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/12/2010 02:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
I speed read too
 Quoting: Lil Miss Trouble

Me, too! hiding
Babe in a Bunker

United States
01/12/2010 02:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
I speed read too

Me, too! hiding
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 847423

^^^ me
Well it seems so real I can see it
And it seems so real I can feel it
And it seems so real I can taste it
And it seems so real I can hear it
So why can't I touch it?
So why can't I touch it?

Twatter: [link to twitter.com]
Lil Miss Trouble

United States
01/12/2010 02:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
I speed read too

Me, too! hiding
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 847423

wtf hiding This is getting creepy

totally offthecharts ungifted
User ID: 860790
United States
01/12/2010 02:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
I was an E/F grade student my entire life, i sat an IQ test at school and scored 88.

i can relate, totally.

we are the special ungifted ones
Atheist

User ID: 859455
United Kingdom
01/12/2010 02:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
i can relate, totally.

Quoting: totally offthecharts ungifted 860790

hf
Atheist
Hickory

User ID: 837690
United States
01/12/2010 02:36 PM
Report Abusive Post

i can relate, totally.

Quoting: totally offthecharts ungifted 860790

LOL. I was not gifted either.Always told I should try harder. hf
You have one life. Live it.
You have one voice, use it.
You have one
:Hickory-1:
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 860790
United States
01/12/2010 02:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
i dunno.
are we 'ungifted' or 'anti gifted'?
i cant get my mind around that one.
love reading about the gifties though
great thread here
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 802888
United States
01/12/2010 02:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
I was pulled out of class for testing often and was in the "Gifted Program" but I did not live in the 70s or in California.. They tested my IQ when I was 5 to be 166 and I was not allowed to be in regular math or science classes in elementary through 6th grade. They tested me in kindergarten but I have no memory of these tests, yet many memories of my school days.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 607669
United States
01/12/2010 02:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
Makes sense we all speed read on a conspiracy forum. It would take that just to get somewhat up to speed. I had read the NONE DARE books and all other kinds of crazy shit long before the internet. I spent hours in the library reading stuff you couldn't check out. I think I read every philosophy and sociology book they had in the library.

I can't imagine how smart I might have been if I had had the information that we have access to now as a child. I might have lost my mind, though.

It just amazes me that no one is curious anymore. I hunger for information, not news, information, you know, and now you can get so many questions answered without doing any research. My parents wouldn't let me use an Encyclopedia at all, they made me go to the library, or they'd say IT'S ALL IN THE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC, which is funny, because in a way, it is.

GLP