HISTORY CHANNEL****FOR SHAME***AMERICAN PICKERS

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 847343
United States
01/19/2010 12:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: HISTORY CHANNEL****FOR SHAME***AMERICAN PICKERS
kitty Being in the UK I have not seen this show, but I must say it sounds bad. However don't necessarily believe all the $$$ figures that you hear bandied about. They could well be boasting.
 Quoting: 9teen.47™

these people are having conniption fits about nothing. The show is pretty entertaining. Plus the one guy brought his kids over and they seemed like real gems. they busted out the scouring pads and those little kids got right to work. Good solid Midwestern values
lapis lazuli
User ID: 847343
United States
01/19/2010 01:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yes, it was tripe, time wasted both in making and airing it. Money wasted too. It had nothing to do with History. It was just the next pitstop in an ever descending standard that began with Ice Truckers, Ax Men, Pawn Brokers (Stars?), Sandhogs and now Pickers. Nancy DuBuc and her "Team" have an agenda for the History Channel which has already made it a misnomer. You will have to search high and low on your programming guide to find anything to do with real History on the History Channel any more.

Over on the Message Boards, some one said that the History Channel is now unwatchable. That statement has had some ninety replies and over a thousand reads.

Feel free to join the mantra:

FIRE NANCY DUBUC!!!
 Quoting: want2know 869016

actually I think they are now finally getting some shows on there that I like. I enjoyed all of the shows that you hate so much.

What would you rather see on in place of these shows?

These shows are showing REAL people doing REAL work. I like that

What do you want to see? The 4 billionth documentary on World War II? Gag
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 869016
United States
01/19/2010 04:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Lapis,

What do I want to see? Well, real History on a channel that calls itself History. As for WWII, yes, it is real History. It was brought about, fought, won and ended by real people who had a whole lot more to do with who you are, why you are and where you are than the "REAL" people doing "REAL" work that you seem to admire. And if you find this mind-numbing tripe fascinating, that is a matter of your taste and your choice - which speaks very well for the education you have received. What I and many others find objectionable is that this is NON-History and it is being fed to people like you who do not know the difference as "History." It is, in fact, "Reality TV" and it is what Nancy DuBuc does best. And for people who like it, there is a place for it - the A&E Channel. That is part of the same big corporation that owns History Channel. So, we would like them to walk these shows upstairs or across the hall and re-run them ad nausium between the four billionth and five billionth re-reruns of CSI MIAMI and DOG, THE BOUNTY HUNTER. You won't even have to change the channel!

As for re-runs, History Channel has plenty of very good material that they do own, that they did produce and that people loved and enjoyed many times over that they absolutely refuse to air in favor of this stuff that simply is not History. There are some of us who know the difference. And as long as everything on these two channels is being re-run and re-run, History has nothing to lose by using some of their good material - except to see how badly the Truckers, Loggers, Pawn Brokers and Pickers stand up against it. That would not be good for Nancy DuBuc's ego - or her career and History Channel knows it. That is why many of us have started a BOYCOTT MADE EVERY DAY and now have added the mantra, FIRE NANCY DUBUC.

With values like yours and what you think is "real," I hope you live happily (and ignorantly) ever after - with a Picker.
Dank
User ID: 874076
United States
01/25/2010 07:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
I do this same sort of thing at flea markets, yard sales and off Craig's List...of course, not full time and to a smaller scale. I've bought items for $20 and sold them for $2000. Several times. My question is --- is this wrong? Should I just tell the people to sell it on ebay (of course they will not do this), or don't sell it (of course the will) or should I just hand over my money and be on my way?

Frankly, most of the people who are posting neg comments are not, and never will be, motivated enough to get out there, find stuff, haul it home, sell and ship items! I grant you, I do not like the way these guys do business...only because they give other 'shoppers' a bad name and make people who see this show thing their junk may be worth a fortune.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 874003
United States
01/25/2010 07:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
Nobody gets away with nothing. Intent is the get out of jail or go to jail card.

Here is possibly a picture of John D. Rockefella.

[link to www.anenglishmanscastle.com]
Seamus

User ID: 853975
United States
01/25/2010 08:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
People defending this crap are the same lost souls who believe it's all about THE BOTTOM LINE!!!

Whatever one does to screw another is just fine. In fact, it is capitalistic! That's what America is, right???

Buffoons.

It is bad enough that these 2 loverboys roam the countryside with a eye out for old-timers (easier to take advantage of ol' Auntie Mildred than it is some 30-something in a McMansion) but what makes it despicable is that TV cameras follow them about, eager to record their immoral behavior and spread it across America.

'Out of Work? Well, watch the History Channel's new show - with pocket change you to can learn how to con old people out of their belongings. You might just get rich doing so!! (that's the American dream, right?).
'When Plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men,
they create for themselves, in the course of time,
a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.'
Frederic Bastiat, 'The Law'

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"The business of the journalists is to destroy the truth, to lie outright, to pervert, to vilify, to fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell his country and his race for his daily bread. You know it and I know it, and what folly is this toasting an independent press? We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes."
JohnSwinton, 1830-1901, Former chief-of-staff New York Times

"The bold effort the present bank has made to control the Government, the distress it has wantonly produced ... are but premonitions of the fate that awaits the American People should they be deluded into a perpetuation of this institution (The Bank of the United States), or the establishment of another like it." Andrew Jackson (December 2, 1834)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 576059
United States
01/25/2010 08:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
What was the 88 year old going to do with that saddle?

Ohhhh... I see your point, you even said it out loud.

That's your inheritance!

How dare those bastards go to your grandpa's farm full of crap you never showed any interest in and buy your self imagined birthright.

I've sold stuff for way less than its worth just to get rid of it quickly and easily.
ThePatriotMind

User ID: 577234
United States
01/25/2010 08:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
a good deal is a state of mind between two parties

PERIOD END of STORY IMHO
Fighting and triggering liberals and SJW's in the trenches of their safe spaces since 2014

Signed,

The Patriot Mind
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 870403
United States
01/26/2010 02:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
I watching it right now, and I can't believe how much they are paying for this junk. They let the old guys set the price
and even when they don't budge, they still buy it.
I mean $5000 for a rusted out old vespa attached to a bench?
200 for a rusted coke sign?
it seems insane to me. They must be using The History Channel's money.
Pheromonic

User ID: 729333
United States
01/26/2010 03:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
Regardless of what they show and what they do, the History Channel has gone to shit now. Same with Discovery and NatGeo
I think EAT is a pretty cool guy, eh predicts earthquakes and doesn't afraid of anything
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 764731
United States
01/26/2010 03:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
WE BUY JUNK

WE SELL ANTIQUES

hf
ThePatriotMind

User ID: 577234
United States
01/26/2010 04:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
People defending this crap are the same lost souls who believe it's all about THE BOTTOM LINE!!!

Whatever one does to screw another is just fine. In fact, it is capitalistic! That's what America is, right???

Buffoons.

It is bad enough that these 2 loverboys roam the countryside with a eye out for old-timers (easier to take advantage of ol' Auntie Mildred than it is some 30-something in a McMansion) but what makes it despicable is that TV cameras follow them about, eager to record their immoral behavior and spread it across America.

'Out of Work? Well, watch the History Channel's new show - with pocket change you to can learn how to con old people out of their belongings. You might just get rich doing so!! (that's the American dream, right?).
 Quoting: Seamus

okay so if two FREE PEOPLE get together and one wants to sell something and one wants to buy something and they AGREE on a price ...

are you saying we need to have government intrusion to decide if its fair or not

lol

EITHER your FREE or your not there is no in between
Fighting and triggering liberals and SJW's in the trenches of their safe spaces since 2014

Signed,

The Patriot Mind
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 534125
United States
01/26/2010 05:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
it's a jewish thing...you wouldn't understand.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 779573

afro
tntn17
User ID: 880174
United States
02/02/2010 12:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
You guys are idiots. They are not stealing because all the times i have watched they paid the people for the items and they accepted that price. The purpose of a pawn shop is to buy things or pawn things cheap to make money. The point of American pickers is to buys old junk that people have laying around for cheap and to make money. What is wrong than that? Do you really think they know that the saddle they bought for like 70 bucks would be worth 5000. if they knew it was worth 5000 they wouldnt have had somebody look at it and appraise it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 879933
United States
02/02/2010 12:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
i have no problem with the show, the guys seem to treat all the people they meet with total respect.
Seymour Duncan
User ID: 880222
United States
02/02/2010 01:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
I think all the fake laughter is an attempt to disguise their flaming homosexuality. For instance, when the chubby one decides to scam a guy for his lamp. He claims it is going to be for his girlfriend (fake laughter). Strangely, when the seller names his price, big boy motions to his partner to pay. I guess he wasn't completely lying.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 876905
United States
02/02/2010 02:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
you should see what they the history channels community are saying about this show. It aint pretty
Seamus

User ID: 854278
United States
02/02/2010 02:21 AM
Report Abusive Post

Buffoons.

okay so if two FREE PEOPLE get together and one wants to sell something and one wants to buy something and they AGREE on a price ...

are you saying we need to have government intrusion to decide if its fair or not

lol

EITHER your FREE or your not there is no in between
 Quoting: ThePatriotMind

Gosh, I don't recall writing anything about Gov't Intervention... let me go back and look... no - wait .. no. I did not write or even imply the government should step in and do something. I'd rather the government steps out of most everything, in fact. But that does not mean that I and you and everyone else should not be critical of Poor Behavior. And people who roam taking advantage of others deserve criticism. That in no way implies that the government should tax people and hire agents to go on GLP or other websites and provide that criticism. I can do it fine.

IF farmer John was picking up the phone and calling these 2 boys to come on his property and make an offer for anything he has, I'd have no problem. But... the 15 minutes I saw of the show while at another's home showed these 2 giggling about screwing another human. There's enough of that without popularizing it on The History Channel.

TV programming really is a waste.
'When Plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men,
they create for themselves, in the course of time,
a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.'
Frederic Bastiat, 'The Law'

"The business of the journalists is to destroy the truth, to lie outright, to pervert, to vilify, to fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell his country and his race for his daily bread. You know it and I know it, and what folly is this toasting an independent press? We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes."
JohnSwinton, 1830-1901, Former chief-of-staff New York Times

"The bold effort the present bank has made to control the Government, the distress it has wantonly produced ... are but premonitions of the fate that awaits the American People should they be deluded into a perpetuation of this institution (The Bank of the United States), or the establishment of another like it." Andrew Jackson (December 2, 1834)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 870060
United States
02/02/2010 02:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
Based just on comparing the show I watched tonight with the one I watched a few weeks ago, they seemed to be getting better.

They were a lot more respectful--didn't appear to be making fun of the people they were buying from.

(Maybe they checked out some of the comments people were making about them.)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 871204
United States
02/02/2010 02:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
There are morons still watching History Channel? 1rof1
cantbuytime
User ID: 881065
United States
02/03/2010 03:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
Well to everyone that is pissing and moaning about the show..

yeah they are bad people for buying rotting crap andputting some cash in peoples pockets who are being screwed on SS and retirement.. What the fuk ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU are the reason for the down fall of society... Do you complain about every fukin thing else too?????? You are why this country looks bad.. just bitching about everything but not changing anything.

lets start a list

1. u probably drive a car, helping destroy our ozone
2. u probably shop at wal-mart
3. u probably dont do anything but watch TV
4. u probably eat fast food
5. u probably had or do have sex out of wed lock.
6. u probably watch people drive like idiots and dont do or say anything
7. u probably have or do lie
8. u probably pass a starving homeless person everyday and dont offer any help

etc etc etc!!!!!

really, of all the crap on TV and all the problems in this country and you want to bitch about 2 guys buying junk on TV..

Get a life.. What ever your rebuttal may be to my post is still just u talking shit about shit that doesnt matter.

Fix your life first before you all come off like your fukin saints.. All these reality shows showing people from 17 to 28 just fukin each other and partying all the time.. This is the crap you pass up to bitch about.. Come on people.

this along with pawn stars are TV shows that are doing more good then harm by lining pockets.. Most of this stuff would just rot away and that history like everything before the 1900's would just disappear..

Shut up already... Find a real noble cause. whatever rant
uh-hem!
User ID: 886158
United States
02/08/2010 11:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
Wholesale vs. Retail

These guys buy junk that otherwise would not be for sale. They resale to people who will, in turn, resale to others for even more profit. It's the risk in the initial investment that is worth the profit in return. But I suppose I'm just a capatalist pig.
rottie
User ID: 593587
Puerto Rico
02/09/2010 12:47 AM
Report Abusive Post
Ever heard of "a willing seller and willing buyer"? First year college economics. It's only your old horse trading, car trading, antiqueing, even garage sailing. It's all the same. So far, we are still able to experience a little good ole' American capitalism. God bless us!

My husband just sold a '55 Bel Aire quarter panel for $450! Wa hoo!! He bought it for $50 bucks 2 years ago at a flea market from another WILLING SELLER! Yeah, we could have sold it for more if we wanted to WAIT for a MORE WILLING BUYER next month, but we wanted to sell it today so we could buy more food for next year.

You stupid idiots that have never done any horse trading having no idea the real value a willing seller and a willing buyer can arrive at. This is very elementary buying and selling. The show has shown you ignorant fools what Americans have been doing since the Colonists had to make do. Get real. This is what we will all be doing when the dollar takes its ultimate dive.

Let's just say... in five years... how much for my gallon of honey? It's all about willing buyer and willing seller.
Rottie
User ID: 593587
Puerto Rico
02/09/2010 01:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
By the way, no one has called or knocked on my door, but if you talked to my brother in law he might tell you I have a great old Texeco sign and an old gas pump I inherited from my Dad. While I have never advertised these items I might welcome an inquiry if the PRICE IS RIGHT!! CASH IS KING! But be careful, the Rottweilers run at night, but their 8 week pups are for sale, too.

Our country is full of such treasures. Ma and Pa as well as their sons and daughters are willing and anxious to sell. Not widely advertising just means the price may be higher.
John
User ID: 886232
United States
02/09/2010 01:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
Give the guys a break. I think the old people are happy to have the crap out of they're garage and some extra money in their pocket. They do agree to sell it after all. I'm sure they do work to clean up and repair the items, not to mention, tie their money up until/if it sells. An items value at auction and what somebody will pay for it are two different things. Haven't you ever traded in a used car? And one other thing, now you know that saddle in your garage is worth a bit more than a couple of bucks. So, give em a break.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 886239
United States
02/09/2010 02:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
LoL...I stopped watching those two bastards after the first show. They remind me of bankers...screwing people out of $$$ while smiling about it all the while.

They travel the back roads and look for older houses, with older people living within, and with little or no outside information source like Dish or internet so as to make it difficult for the residents to research the cost of items.
Seriously?
User ID: 886253
United States
02/09/2010 02:21 AM
Report Abusive Post

Buffoons.

Quoting: Seamus

Wow. Do you realize what you are saying? Do you realize how/why some businesses in America thrive/survive and others do not? It's obvious from your post you don't - so I will try to explain it to you.

The businesses that survive are the ones which provide a product or service that people need or want at an acceptable price. This gives people what we call CHOICE.

So, lets look at what that means...

If I have some old junk I want to sell have a few options: Pawn Shop, E-Bay, Flea Market/Personal Sales, or Pickers.

According to your logic - Pickers should not be an option for me because they might make an actual profit on the junk I want to sell.

Pawn Shop is absolutely out because they could make even more of a profit than the pickers!

E-Bay is out if I don't know how to use the internet already, but even if I did E-Bay charges to use their service - so they are also evil because they "take advantage" of me by charging fees.

OK. So that leaves us with the Flea Market. Congratulations! Because the people who run the Pawn Shop, EBay, and Pickers can make a profit off my goods they shouldn't be allowed to run a business. Therefore, my CHOICE (and my freedom) has been limited. Thanks Alot!

The problem with you people is you feel it is "evil" to make a profit. You do not have the ability/ambition/whatever to actually provide a valuable product/service to the public, and since you can't do it - and don't understand it - you just call it "evil" or "taking advantage"

I will concede that if an older person doesn't understand, or isn't lucid enough to consent to an agreement - and you push on, that is taking advantage. But BOTTOM LINE, if someone is able to consent to an agreement, then the CHOICE is theirs - who are you to deprive them of it?

Finally, according to your logic, just about every retail business is morally corrupt because they sell items for more than what they pay for them.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 886253
United States
02/09/2010 02:31 AM
Report Abusive Post
LoL...I stopped watching those two bastards after the first show. They remind me of bankers...screwing people out of $$$ while smiling about it all the while.

They travel the back roads and look for older houses, with older people living within, and with little or no outside information source like Dish or internet so as to make it difficult for the residents to research the cost of items.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 886239

You really believe that is why they look for older houses on back roads?

Not very bright I see. Let me explain: They are in the market for old items which can be restored to their former brilliance.

If you are looking for old items, where would you look? If you go to a new neighborhood do you think you are likely to find what you are looking for?

The answer is no, I'm sure you could even figure that out.

See, your trying to prove these people look for "old" people to rip off (Which by the way, just by your comment you are insinuating are stupid), when logic will tell you that the old houses in the country (which are generally owned by older people) - are where it makes sense to look.
Bob
User ID: 887957
United States
02/10/2010 11:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Whatever, these guys can do what they want its their business. TO me the show sucks because those two are super annoying.
Baku Llama
User ID: 555241
United States
02/11/2010 12:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
by the way, are these two guys gay lovers?

Serious question
 Quoting: lapis lazuli 847343

Yes they are... I have a link somewhere... tomato

GLP