HISTORY CHANNEL****FOR SHAME***AMERICAN PICKERS

givemeabreak
User ID: 1546684
United States
09/12/2011 02:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: HISTORY CHANNEL****FOR SHAME***AMERICAN PICKERS
A question for all of those of you complaining about how evil American Pickers are for offering low amounts on items so they can make a buck (many items long forgotten and none of his/her family would want because they aren't in the business and don't have a clue to its worth)... Have you never gone to a yard sale and offered someone less then the price marked? Same difference. I know, however, there is no reasoning with you. If you don't like the show, don't watch it. Then again, don't just watch one episode and call it evil.
magnum91
User ID: 1547378
United States
09/13/2011 12:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
These guy crack me up an mike he would #$%@ your grand mother if he could.like when they bought that 57 chevy for rick on pawn stars he got rick on that deal mike payed 5500 for it an he wanted 8500 or 9000 for it an they are suuppost to be freinds.wtf
hosscat469
User ID: 1547736
United States
09/13/2011 08:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
You people have no clue as to wtf your talking about.. this show is staged entirely and you never mentioned that the people get paid by history channel for there time... get the fact s straight...they are paying for not stealing items.. fuckin dickhole. If you don t like it don't watch it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1518303
United States
09/13/2011 08:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
I can NOT believe that the HISTORY channel would show such a disgrace to our older generation. TO think for one minute this would somehow be cleared to air is appalling. To brag or somehow boast about an unsolicited visit to Leland's farm and the price paid versus the actual value should be illegal. If this would have been my granddad I would have felt robbed of my family heirloom and treasures. The History Channel should immediately cancel this show!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were so looking forward to a new show that was really about hidden treasures in American not thievery we couldn't even finish the show.

These guys are scum bags !!!!! Nice job History Channel way to promote thieves . I would love to meet these guys face to face , and work a deal out with them. If you know what I mean ! And my parents always told me crime doesn't pay, unless you make a show for the History Channel .Way to teach kids its ok to steal from the older generation. History Channel you should make things right pay these people fair price for their stuff, and fire these dirt bags
 Quoting: HISTORY CHANNEL****FOR SHAME** 868648

Finally someone else see's through the B.S. Thx OP bumpbumpbumpbump
hosscat469
User ID: 1547736
United States
09/13/2011 09:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
Why do they need such a high profit margin?

Surely they are gaining a considerable extra income from their TV show.
 Quoting: Danly

They are not compensated for the show... only the free advertisement. The people they film while there picking get paid for there time..
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 471791
United States
09/13/2011 02:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
American Pickers came to a buddies place.They were there from 9:00 - 6:00.They spent 800.00 and acted like they did you a favor.Lets face it,the star of the show is not Frank or Mike,its the people who let you into their home every week.There is big money being made by the History Channel with the American Pickers program.Then they come to your home and want you to give them a deal.Nobody knows where all the good stuff goes.Remember when they bought the Laurel and Hardy fiberglass heads.Where did they go?Those were big money items.I think they take advantage of people who do not know what they have.I wouldn't want them to knock on my grandmothers door.
 Quoting: Dunn 1544037

watch the show u idiot..the heads are still there in their shop...lots of fucking idiots on here that don't know jack shit !
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 471920
United States
09/13/2011 02:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
I hate the disastrous train wreck that THC has become. What do truckers, pawn shops, junk dealers and swamp people have to do with history? What does corporate propaganda about how things are made have to do with history?

Nothing...

If they wanna put a channel on and call it the Boring White People Channel, that would be fine. Let us just call it what it is.
 Quoting: Eponymous Coward

Another idiot that doesn't understand.. the stuff they find is history... they talk about it and explain it with captions on the bottom of the screen...for idiots like you !!...My Lord..what a dumbass !
AGENT_P

User ID: 1161299
United States
09/13/2011 02:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have dealt in Antiques for many years. I often give people more than what they want for an item. For example, I once had a chance to buy a set of Sterling flatware for $3. Yep, that's right, three dollars! I told the lady that it was Sterling, and I told her it was worth much more than she was asking, and I offered her $400 for it. I told her she could take it to a shop and maybe get more, but she still sold it to me anyways for my offer of $400. She was getting a fair deal too, as this was when Silver was about $8 an ounce. She was so grateful!

If I see that the person is not monetarily advantaged, I will sometimes pay full value for an item, knowing I won't make any profit, but the satisfaction I get when I do something like that feels good, knowing that I am really helping someone else out.

It all balances out, as there may be a time in the near future that I will buy a box lot at an auction for a few bucks, and there will be a $1,000 treasure in it. It happens quite a bit. I like to think that it is a reward for being fair to others when they need it.
Sirrx7

User ID: 1515509
United States
09/13/2011 02:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
Has everyone gone crazy?
They're running a business. Their business model is to buy something that possibly has value at pennies on the dollar.
I don't see them as ripping anyone off because they're willing to buy something that would otherwise rot away in some old barn never to be seen again. They're paying money for something that really has no real value to the owner.
Remember something is only "valuable" when the seller knows what its really worth.

Would you turn down a 1964 Mustang for a great price because the owner lists it as an old 1964 Ford?

Buying smart is nothing new and in no way a sign of how bad things have gotten. Wasn't Manhattan bought for $24. worth of trinkets?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1709611
United States
09/22/2011 05:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
I think it's a good thing that the items they find are being purchased and appreciated instead of buried in some barn simewhere to perhaps be discarded later. I also question whether they get the prices for the items that they claim. It must be expensive for them to travel all over too.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1498907
Canada
09/22/2011 05:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
It is a morally repugnant show. I watched as much of it as I could. It is bankrupt.tdown
jim
User ID: 1944278
United States
09/25/2011 01:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
I've never seen so many braindead responses in my entire life. You people are idiots.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1547354
United States
09/25/2011 01:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
This show is epic art compared to the ones involving people who can't use brth control, midgets, cake bakers and men with beards
travisty
User ID: 1990187
United States
09/25/2011 05:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Its called free will.The people that sell to the american pickers and pawn stars have a choice to say no, also they have a choice to not seek them out to sell things to them.Its like expecting a retail store to sell you new goods at wholesale prices, business would not exsist if they did not make money to pay their bills.If you watched the show you would see that most of the people that they buy from invite them for that reason,to buy their stuff.Is everone that buys something from a garage sale or flea market a crook to.if these customers wanted to get full market value for their goods they could market it on a number of auction sites that anyone can use and mail it to the seller.Time is money these guys spend allot of money being on the road and time marketing and distributing the goods they buy.I would hardly consider that theft in any way,and if you dont like the show you dont have to watch it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2108407
United States
09/27/2011 12:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
OP
Get a grip! What do you care what they do. You out to save the world are ya? Laughing my ass off.
So they are still items for inheritance?
Is that your moral argument? If the person does not want these guys on their property then they are asked to leave. These guys pay for hotels, gas, food on the road. To me, they are providing people with an additional income.
Something someone on a fixed income might need. Most of the stuff is nothing but rusting junk to the owners.
If these two men have educated themselves with all the knowledge they have, they should be rewarded for that knowledge. It is not stealing, it is free enterprise. Maybe they double their money or triple it.Who the fuck cares??
But OP, have you ever lived the life going from hotel to hotel town to town. Or dig thru a bunch of junk to get one or two pieces actually worth while items.
Driving all day. Then working in hot dirty and miserable conditions. I say they earn their money.

If the old guy sells something he probably had no use for it. Or even if he didn't know what it might be worth. He still had some money in his pocket that he didn't when the day started. If these were prized heirlooms, these people would hold on to them ! If they dont maybe is nice just to have someone visit. Sure MIke and Frank, take this shit out of my attic. Havent seen that since the 70's. LOl everyone makes money. These two are pretty nice guys.
In their defense, I have seen them in one episode, get a lot more for some circus posters than they ever knew they were worth. A guy was trying to reopen his theme park and really needed money. they drove to New York sold the posters and then drove back to the guys park and handed over 5K large. That just doesnt seem all that greedy to me. Try bitching about oil, health care , over all cost of living and then you have my empathy. Until then, you have no argument.
I like the actual "HISTORY" of the show. I have learned a lot from these two and the people that they deal with in the show. It is good wholesome entertainment. A nice change from Shitty sitcoms , Reality (fakes) Shows or the blood and gore from all the cops shows. So, get a life. Sell some old shit and get hooked on treasure hunting. I like good entertaining shows. Not all the other bullshit. think I will see if an episode is on tonight! BURP!
I LIKE THE SHOW !
User ID: 2108407
United States
09/27/2011 12:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
OP
Get a grip! What do you care what they do. You out to save the world are ya? Laughing my ass off.
So they are still items for inheritance?
Is that your moral argument? If the person does not want these guys on their property then they are asked to leave. These guys pay for hotels, gas, food on the road. To me, they are providing people with an additional income.
Something someone on a fixed income might need. Most of the stuff is nothing but rusting junk to the owners.
If these two men have educated themselves with all the knowledge they have, they should be rewarded for that knowledge. It is not stealing, it is free enterprise. Maybe they double their money or triple it.Who the fuck cares??
But OP, have you ever lived the life going from hotel to hotel town to town. Or dig thru a bunch of junk to get one or two pieces actually worth while items.
Driving all day. Then working in hot dirty and miserable conditions. I say they earn their money.

If the old guy sells something he probably had no use for it. Or even if he didn't know what it might be worth. He still had some money in his pocket that he didn't when the day started. If these were prized heirlooms, these people would hold on to them ! If they dont maybe is nice just to have someone visit. Sure MIke and Frank, take this shit out of my attic. Havent seen that since the 70's. LOl everyone makes money. These two are pretty nice guys.
In their defense, I have seen them in one episode, get a lot more for some circus posters than they ever knew they were worth. A guy was trying to reopen his theme park and really needed money. they drove to New York sold the posters and then drove back to the guys park and handed over 5K large. That just doesnt seem all that greedy to me. Try bitching about oil, health care , over all cost of living and then you have my empathy. Until then, you have no argument.
I like the actual "HISTORY" of the show. I have learned a lot from these two and the people that they deal with in the show. It is good wholesome entertainment. A nice change from Shitty sitcoms , Reality (fakes) Shows or the blood and gore from all the cops shows. So, get a life. Sell some old shit and get hooked on treasure hunting. I like good entertaining shows. Not all the other bullshit. think I will see if an episode is on tonight! BURP!
megafornatron
User ID: 2128722
Australia
09/27/2011 07:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
Who the fuck do you people think you are, how dare you victimize mike and frank???? They have to make money too, and its not a "family heirloom" if it has been sitting in the trash for years. These people should be happy and grateful to mike and frank for the extra money that they give them for their garbage that they often had no idea existed and that for once someone actually gave a shit about their stuff. if all you dumb shits have to do with your time is cry and whine on the internet about nothing, then i honestly feel sorry for you.
John Catz
User ID: 2128722
Australia
09/27/2011 07:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
If anything, the people who complain about this TV show are the ones bring shame to their generation. This is political correctness gone mad. Mike and Frank have done nothing wrong. Is giving money to people for stuff they had no idea existed so wrong? so to all of you haters, FOR SHAME.
Junk Fan.
User ID: 2227588
Brunei
09/28/2011 12:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Moving from one state cost money,transportation to move heavy items cost money, meals, place to stay cost money,trying to get customers cost money These guys don't earn much. They need to make a small profit to survive. They saved a lot of junk from being lost for ever. if they were not around sooner or later the junk will just end up in the trash. I feel sorry for them as they don't have a very high profit margin plus it takes time to sell off those items. the few pieces they mange to find is not much and I really. Really wonder how they really make any money when there are so much hidden cost and expenses.
Junk Fan.
Brunei
09/28/2011 12:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
Moving from one state cost money,transportation to move heavy items cost money, meals, place to stay cost money,trying to get customers cost money These guys don't earn much. They need to make a small profit to survive. They saved a lot of junk from being lost for ever. if they were not around sooner or later the junk will just end up in the trash. I feel sorry for them as they don't have a very high profit margin plus it takes time to sell off those items. the few pieces they mange to find is not much and I really. Really wonder how they really make any money when there are so much hidden cost and expenses.
Anonymous Coward
Brunei
09/28/2011 12:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 835530
United States
09/28/2011 12:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
These guy crack me up an mike he would #$%@ your grand mother if he could.like when they bought that 57 chevy for rick on pawn stars he got rick on that deal mike payed 5500 for it an he wanted 8500 or 9000 for it an they are suuppost to be freinds.wtf
 Quoting: magnum91 1547378

Because you moran, it took them days to find the damn thing, then they had to pay to have it transported across 3 states. Minus all the costs to pay their food / lodging and trasport, that was probably 1000 to 1500 in profit.

Wow they are really ripping him off huh?

THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE DUMMY.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 835530
United States
09/28/2011 12:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: magnum91 1547378

Because you moran, it took them days to find the damn thing, then they had to pay to have it transported across 3 states. Minus all the costs to pay their food / lodging and trasport, that was probably 1000 to 1500 in profit.

Wow they are really ripping him off huh?

THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE DUMMY.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 835530

No wonder this country is failing economically and in such debt.

Typical people have no idea how much shit costs and what it costs to run a business.
truthwillsetyoufree

User ID: 927177
United States
10/10/2011 10:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
The two guys are doing all the work, i.e. advertising, networking, repairs, restoring. If the person who owns it wants to do all that, let him sell it himself. He should know what it's worth before he turns it over to them.

Besides, they get paid for being on the show. They all seem pretty happy.
What???
User ID: 3053893
United States
10/10/2011 10:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
Why are y'all so mad? Thugs, moral decay???? My grandma used to buy and sell antiques. The people they buy from are also making money and a lot of them are cashing in on what would be junk to Americas youth. Why are you mad, did they buy your inheritance? Ha. They run a business people. Incase you haven't looked Around in your city or the yellow pages There are antique stores everywhere. Where do they get antiques? Same way. Why would they pay top dollar? They are dealers. Not thieves not thugs if anything they are helping preserve history. Not everyone appreciates antiques. A lot of this stuff would eventually get sold or junked any way. Be glade they are showing other generations the value of antiques. People have been buying and selling antiques for a long time and will continue to. Pawn shops and antiques are no new business. Get real people. Have you never bought anything for cheaper than what it's real value is? The people they buy from know they are dealers. A dealer doesn't make money paying suggested retail price, IT'S BUSINESS. Obviously you don't know what thugs are. Go to the inner-city before you start name calling, I have never seen them rob or steal from anyone. Money talks. Thugs deal drugs, smoke drugs, rob, steal and kill. They don't rummage through barns and deal antiques.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3055500
United States
10/10/2011 10:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
I can NOT believe that the HISTORY channel would show such a disgrace to our older generation. TO think for one minute this would somehow be cleared to air is appalling. To brag or somehow boast about an unsolicited visit to Leland's farm and the price paid versus the actual value should be illegal. If this would have been my granddad I would have felt robbed of my family heirloom and treasures. The History Channel should immediately cancel this show!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were so looking forward to a new show that was really about hidden treasures in American not thievery we couldn't even finish the show.

These guys are scum bags !!!!! Nice job History Channel way to promote thieves . I would love to meet these guys face to face , and work a deal out with them. If you know what I mean ! And my parents always told me crime doesn't pay, unless you make a show for the History Channel .Way to teach kids its ok to steal from the older generation. History Channel you should make things right pay these people fair price for their stuff, and fire these dirt bags
 Quoting: HISTORY CHANNEL****FOR SHAME** 868648

bsflag
You stupid people think you're standing up for someone when most you idiots wouldn't raise a finger to help the elderly and homeless people living all around you. I bet you wouldn't even offer to help your parents/grandparents unless they payed you. All you have to do is walk out your front door or drive a block down the road to see someone you could really help. Hell go to your parents/grandparents house and offer to cut the grass or fix their leaky faucet, and then when they try to give you something for it just give them a hug and say no thanks I just want you to know I love you. The person that posted this probably would try to talk there parents out of every thing they had and try to steal from there sibblings after there parrents are gone. This person is probably just pissed because the people these guys buy from are smart enough to sell there stuff before there greedy spoiled kids ever get the chance to rob them blind. Priceless Heirloom? Ha! This is just some old shit your parents did not want to watch you fight over from their grave. Your parents would rather watch you love each other than fight over some old shit that did not matter after your dead anyway! By the way, what do you do for a living? I bet your just jealous because these guys do it better than you.
steve1
User ID: 3088560
United Kingdom
10/11/2011 12:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
There is a little button on your TV that will turn it off !!
clare
User ID: 3131426
United States
10/12/2011 12:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
Why get mad at these men who are doing a business.If only the family of these people cared about their parents, their house would not look like a horders' home. Shame on these peoples' family. These men at least offered these people money for these items. If the Fire Department would go through these houses, they would tell them to have a yard sale and clean up or they will tear down the house. Money that these men are offering these people is something, so maybe they could live a little better. Shame on the people who complained about this Americana program.
Mike
User ID: 3522992
United States
10/17/2011 08:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
All you asshats that think Frank and Mike are crooks (but yet some of you want to shoot them making you the most evil of criminals) are insane. There is no point in even trying to make a logical argument as you're delusional. It sucks that I have to share the air with your malfunctioning brain cells.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3788536
Canada
10/22/2011 02:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
Other good stuff on like "Obama's America" very informative on how big a racists whites were, are and are going to be.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 845092

propoganda stfu
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 862340

"...how big a racists whites were, are and are going to be."

Is that english???

GLP