HISTORY CHANNEL****FOR SHAME***AMERICAN PICKERS

Ed
User ID: 3817982
United States
10/22/2011 07:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: HISTORY CHANNEL****FOR SHAME***AMERICAN PICKERS
What is wrong with you people? It's called capitalism, and it's what our country was founded on. People go to yardsales and fleamarkets EVERYDAY looking for a bargain to keep or re-sell on EBay. If you do the running around and research and then find an item that you can resell for a profit, then I see nothing wrong with that. These guys (Frank and Mike) run A BUSINESS. They have overhead, an employee, and expenses just like any other business and need to make a profit to survive. The fact that they sometimes buy items from senior citizens doesn't mean they're "ripping them off". Most of the seniors on the show are more hagglers that Frank & Mike!!! Find something else to complain about like the lack of jobs in our country or the nationwide Obamacare that has just been shoved down our throats.
Blue
User ID: 3891003
United States
10/23/2011 09:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have never heard such a bunch of wimps in my life..... buy low, sell high...... LOL....
Perhaps
User ID: 1449832
United States
10/23/2011 10:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
I've never seen a profit margin that high. I've not seen all the shows mind you either. The people selling the items have the stuff sitting there and probably would have rather had the money. No one is forced to sell to them. Just like you selling your car, don't whine about what you got for it if you agreed to accept the price.

Stop watching the show or stop complaining. :D

I wish I knew wtf you were talking about
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 865377

I will give you $75 for that saddle ..... Then they get $5,000 for it......etc etc etc.....

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 529538
StonerSmarterThanYou
User ID: 3932238
United States
10/24/2011 02:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
LMAO!! Y'all are fucking retarded, the men agree to make a deal... Don't you see them shake hands and make a deal. Have you ever considered that these items may not mean anything to them? They are laying in dirty overstocked garages wasting. Over half the products are in horrible condition. Maybe these people want cash. You need to learn respect someone's opinion. Besides, they restore the products and it's in good hands. Sometimes they sell products to museums. And of course the value goes up because they restore them and that's business! Well look through it at another point of view maybe you'll understand.

Legalize Indy
Anon9999

User ID: 3924471
United States
11/01/2011 01:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
I hate the disastrous train wreck that THC has become. What do truckers, pawn shops, junk dealers and swamp people have to do with history? What does corporate propaganda about how things are made have to do with history?

Nothing...

If they wanna put a channel on and call it the Boring White People Channel, that would be fine. Let us just call it what it is.
 Quoting: Eponymous Coward

In two years, Wolfe has gone from describing American Pickers like this:

"Each item we pick has a history all its own and the people we meet are a breed all their own. We make a living telling the history of America...one piece at a time."

[link to en.wikipedia.org]

To this:

"With the American Pickers cult flourishing, Wolfe's passions are going mainstream. Collectors are clamoring for the Americana curiosities and oddities that make up the bulk of what he and Fritz pick each week, and their mud-caked, sunbaked aesthetic is shaping interior design trends as well.

"I've always bought what I liked, and I've made a living off of my eye and my gut and what I think is cool," Wolfe says. "On Monday nights, I have an hour-long commercial on what I think is hot. Imagine being in business and having that opportunity. Whatever we're finding, people are like, ‘Wow, that's cool. I love it. I want to buy one of those.'""

[link to www.entrepreneur.com]

- - - - -

An hour-long commercial to showcase his business and wares to interior designers. The History Channel can drop the pretense that American Pickers, Pawn Stars, American Restoration or any of this type of programming is about history.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4545177
United States
11/03/2011 04:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
LOL.

I support the show, I actually found this googling for thier website because I have some neat shit to unload from cleaning out a garage.

This country is built on buying or building cheap and selling high. If you ho's knew what the ps3 or new flat screen you have cost to build vs what you paid, you'd kill yourself.

How about that american made automobile? 10 - 20,000$ profit each.

Don't be mad because you slave minimum wage at your dead end job, and aren't smart enough or creative enough to do what they are doing.

History channel is winning hard with thier new programs over the last 5 years. Nobody wants to watch shit about the evolution of cotton and all the wars america didn't win are tired and played out, nobody cares anymore.

Keep up the good work history, some welfare moms, and house husbands just like to complain to complain.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3924471
United States
11/03/2011 09:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
LOL.

I support the show, I actually found this googling for thier website because I have some neat shit to unload from cleaning out a garage.

This country is built on buying or building cheap and selling high. If you ho's knew what the ps3 or new flat screen you have cost to build vs what you paid, you'd kill yourself.

How about that american made automobile? 10 - 20,000$ profit each.

Don't be mad because you slave minimum wage at your dead end job, and aren't smart enough or creative enough to do what they are doing.

History channel is winning hard with thier new programs over the last 5 years. Nobody wants to watch shit about the evolution of cotton and all the wars america didn't win are tired and played out, nobody cares anymore.

Keep up the good work history, some welfare moms, and house husbands just like to complain to complain.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 4545177

The History Channel and other niche channels have no integrity. Mr. Marshall sums up the integrity issue quite well.

"Here is the problem: if a project, enterprise, or mission has to turn into something else entirely to achieve what its management considers success, then it has already failed. If the original objective was worth pursuing, then integrity and honesty requires that either new leadership dedicated to the core mission be recruited, or the project should end."

.... "Having the Cartoon Channel run by people who don’t like cartoons, or the Soap Opera Channel run by people who think soap operas are stupid, or the History Channel operated by suits who think history is boring, is unfair to the vision, the mission, and the audience of those channels."

"Yet the Sci Fi Channel was placed in the hands of executives who looked upon science fiction and its fans as obstacles to profitability. As a result, even if their business model “succeeds”, the mission of having a science fiction cable channel will have failed.

The absence of integrity is fatal."

~ Jack Marshall

[link to ethicsalarms.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4916444
United Kingdom
11/08/2011 07:00 AM
Report Abusive Post
like all americans the world owes you a lot well let me tell you a lot here in great britain think your sxxt you moan about everything these so called old people how the value of there items ,if god bless when they pass away you have to empty the house or the barn of what now is junk to you you are glad of somebody like the american pickers to give you somethingfor your family heirloms other wise known as junk . here in the uk its a hit
the mole
User ID: 4916444
United Kingdom
11/08/2011 07:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
in reply to the abovr reply a british fighter not a coward
Free Market Economy!!
User ID: 4996860
United States
11/08/2011 11:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
If someone is out there to buy it, and someone wants to sell it: it's nobody's business to step in and dictate the rules.

Anyone that thinks they are preying on the elderly...Cmon!!

The shit in these people's backyards and ransacked storage facilities has been gathering dust and dirt for decades! Where were the kids for 50 years while daddy or grandpa accumulated all this crap? They were telling their friends that daddy/grandpa is a hoarder and didn't want anything to do with the crap accumulating in the house/yard/storage buildings. All of the sudden someone shows up that knows what daddy/grandpa's crap is worth and makes them an offer: the person making the offer is doing something wrong??

If someone has the balls to stop someone on the street and ask them if their car is for sale or knock on their door to browse their yard and make an offer on something, and the potential seller agrees to sell: what the fuck is wrong with that??

The problem in the country is no one has any balls anymore. They want somebody to take care of them, fight for them, save money for their retirement for them..
Flicker
User ID: 5025228
United States
11/09/2011 10:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
What is up with those people griping - the guys use gas, their time, business licenses, insurance, phone, water, electricity, eat food and operate like any other business.

Are you gripers and moaners really stupid enough to think anyone ever buys something for what they sell it for? I cannot believe some of the ignorant people on this posting complaining that these guys are not buying stuff for the same price as they sell it.

Also, in case you complainers do not watch the show much, they have to take it to experts to see what it is worth so every purchase is a gamble.

I bet the jerks complaining that people should sell things for the same things people pays for it hate capitalism and wish we had a communist based economy!!

No wonder us Americans are getting the reputation as lamers!
gimmeabreak
User ID: 4919723
United States
11/18/2011 07:46 AM
Report Abusive Post
They don't just buy from the elderly. They buy things from everyone. I've watched the show quite a bit. The majority of items they buy are things that have been laying around for years. It is a business just like any other. To say they steal is ridiculous. If something is truly sentimental to someone they wouldn't be selling it for 25 bucks. So to call these guys thieves is way off base. It isn't as if they are buying something for a few dollars and selling it for a couple thousand. They make their money in volume not from single items and they don't always make a profit. Sometimes things they buy turn out to be wothless. Its a business. You can't buy something for exactly what its worth if your buying it to sell it. Way more things are way more disgusting on tv.tomato
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 5748149
United States
11/20/2011 06:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
I like it
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 5744154
United States
11/20/2011 06:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
The Bottom Line is....Stuff is only worth what someone is willing to pay at that moment.

Let's look at Compact Disc....How much for a CD 14.99, 16.99, 25.00...or 1.00 at the flea market?

Let's say you buy a CD for 15.99, listen to the 1 good song on it and decide to sell it...how much can you get for it, the 15.99 you paid? NO, try for 1/2(8.00) still no sale, 1/2 of that 4.00, maybe....6 mo later of sitting on the "sale table" you drop it to 2.00 and get an offer of 1.00 and sell it.....you have to ask yourself "was it ever worth what you paid originally"?

Hell the "Bashers" should be glad that someone like Frank & Mike even came by and offered them something for their stuff
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 5241205
United States
11/20/2011 06:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
I can NOT believe that the HISTORY channel would show such a disgrace to our older generation. TO think for one minute this would somehow be cleared to air is appalling. To brag or somehow boast about an unsolicited visit to Leland's farm and the price paid versus the actual value should be illegal. If this would have been my granddad I would have felt robbed of my family heirloom and treasures. The History Channel should immediately cancel this show!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were so looking forward to a new show that was really about hidden treasures in American not thievery we couldn't even finish the show.

These guys are scum bags !!!!! Nice job History Channel way to promote thieves . I would love to meet these guys face to face , and work a deal out with them. If you know what I mean ! And my parents always told me crime doesn't pay, unless you make a show for the History Channel .Way to teach kids its ok to steal from the older generation. History Channel you should make things right pay these people fair price for their stuff, and fire these dirt bags
 Quoting: HISTORY CHANNEL****FOR SHAME** 868648

putin It's called haggling, the owner does not have to agree to the price that was offered.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/20/2011 07:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
Here is the OP's problem...He/She is a Picker and is pissed off at all the attention this show has brought to the Biz...Before this show and others(Storage Wars) stuff was even cheaper, alot Cheaper....It was a "Insider Secret"
Now you've got these shows and BAM! more folks are getting into these types of business and making it harder for the "Old Timers" to get the "Deals" they were used to.

FWIW, I'm an Auctioneer and my crowds have tripled due to "Storage Wars"...Good for me and the seller(s) but not for the buyers

BTW, Storage Wars and the others like it are all "Set Up" for the camera....THERE IS NO! GOLD IN THEM LOCKERS!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 5404265
United States
11/20/2011 07:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
Bunch of fucking morans. Most of the stuff they buy is sitting outside rusting away or buried in other junk in a falling down building. It would otherwise end up turning back into dirt, hauled off to the dump, or sold as scrap for a tenth of what they pay.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 5241205
United States
11/20/2011 07:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
Here is the OP's problem...He/She is a Picker and is pissed off at all the attention this show has brought to the Biz...Before this show and others(Storage Wars) stuff was even cheaper, alot Cheaper....It was a "Insider Secret"
Now you've got these shows and BAM! more folks are getting into these types of business and making it harder for the "Old Timers" to get the "Deals" they were used to.

FWIW, I'm an Auctioneer and my crowds have tripled due to "Storage Wars"...Good for me and the seller(s) but not for the buyers

BTW, Storage Wars and the others like it are all "Set Up" for the camera....THERE IS NO! GOLD IN THEM LOCKERS!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 5744154

Is "Storage Wars" on Tru tv? Everything except the clipshows on that channel is a setup.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/20/2011 07:22 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 5744154

I'll even go further and give you an example:

Washer & Dryer...Most folks have them right...

Before these shows came out/on...It wasn't uncommon to see a "Maytag" W&D in like new condition to sell for 60 dollars for the pair....sold a set yesterday at auction for 200 dollars...and the Junkers we used to not be able to give away brought 30 dollars(I chalk this up to the increase in scrap metal prices)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 5824594
United States
11/21/2011 10:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
How about Mike and Frand trying wearing their seat belts when they are in their van...really, are we going to be this obvious about it??
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6105565
United States
11/27/2011 10:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
by the way, are these two guys gay lovers?

Serious question
 Quoting: lapis lazuli 847343

I too would like to know if these two are a couple of "Packers" and I don't mean football players?????
born American
User ID: 1150028
United States
11/27/2011 12:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
When people run there mouths about others it shows there ignorance! Ignorance that runs wild from there mouth. These so-called thieves are living the life that almost ALL Americans dream about! Just doing something they enjoy for a living, all of you holyrolling assholes should be ashamed of yourself! At least they have the motivation and push to go out and make our country great, by reinstating the worth of our heritage!!
tony
User ID: 6116254
United States
11/27/2011 02:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
I love this program. I have followed almost all the episodes and have never seen any disrespect shown by either of these guys. I think it is a terrific way to examine the history of this nation and its citizens' preferences and cherished items. It removes items from total destruction and allows people to restore them into the cherish and valued state. These guys are in business to make money. They spend a lot of money to do a job, a job they love and if a person has a problem with running a business like these guys do and making a profit, then you should move to a country where profit does not exist...the Federation of Russia would be a good start.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/27/2011 02:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
When people run there mouths about others it shows there ignorance! Ignorance that runs wild from there mouth. These so-called thieves are living the life that almost ALL Americans dream about! Just doing something they enjoy for a living, all of you holyrolling assholes should be ashamed of yourself! At least they have the motivation and push to go out and make our country great, by reinstating the worth of our heritage!!
 Quoting: born American 1150028

Quoting: born American 1150028

I totally agree. It sounds logical to me and to many others that people see anything wrong with what these guys are doing should move to a country where there is no such thing as profit made by a business, much less having a job that can be enjoyed. Russia or Communist China comes to mind. The problem is that there are these so-called morally superior idiots who continually find something wrong with every possible thing. Fuck'em
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/27/2011 02:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
by the way, are these two guys gay lovers?

Serious question
 Quoting: lapis lazuli 847343

I too would like to know if these two are a couple of "Packers" and I don't mean football players?????
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 6105565

Are you for real???!!! Do you see queers everywhere??? Obviously, you are a "little" bent yourself. You definitely need to get help and a grip on reality mfer.
Lec
User ID: 6151872
United States
11/28/2011 12:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
This show is great!! Its a business which you people clearly do not understand. The stuff they find most of the time is sitting in abandoned building on people's property which they haven't been in or even cared about for years. Why would they buy something at full retail value? This is their livelihoods, they need to get a lower price so they are able to re sell these items to make money to put food on their tables. If they didn't offer these people to buy their items, then probably no one will and the treasures would be forever lost without someone who would truly appreciate and care for the item. Stop being close-minded and judgmental and think about what they are really doing!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4578286
United States
11/28/2011 01:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
I have similar opinions about the disgusting industry of the self-storage companies--and NOW watching this disgrace and calling it "entertainment?" How many of you REALLY know the comings and goings of those storage places? If you knew...as I know from an absolutely insane experience working as a site manager for 3 months...you would not only make a comment on this thread...you would call your congressman! I was "lucky" enough to get the manager's job at the 600-unit self-store company in 2008(owned by a millionare who used it as both a fence and a tax-write-off) when the previous manager had a nervous breakdown and jumped off a bridge. (That should have been a red flag....sadly I did not know better being a naive Christian woman). There are theft rings going on in these places which cut off the locks and set up little "unregistered" units (or boggus names as the owners) when in fact they are like little "king Tut Tombs of treasures" which end up auctioned off by the dishonest owners and managers....sometimes they never do auction the stuff they just keep it and spread it among friends, etc! Seriously! The really good stuff RARELY gets into the hands of the people who show up for the auctioned--it is ALWAYS picked over BEFORE the pickers even get in there! (I saw this myself and found my co-manager had "gone to the dark side" to assist in this LEGAL THEFT!) I wish they would produce an under-cover TV show which shows various dishonest assholes like the guy I worked for getting caught in their "capitalist" scam. I hate these sick programs and I hope someday there is a true investigation FOR THE SAKE of MANY families ALREADY SUFFERING WHO LOSE THEIR LIFE'S POSSESSIONS! SHAME on History Channel! (Yes...I did alert the local police--yeah...they really listened.)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6195620
United Kingdom
11/28/2011 06:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
eh........dont watch it then!!
There are worse things in this world(not just the in usa) to worry or moan about
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6173762
United States
11/28/2011 06:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
What ever happened to paragraphs?

These walls of text that are posted here make my eyes bleed.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6234303
United States
11/29/2011 11:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
VVhile they do barter and come to an agreement vvith the seller, both Frank and Mike, definitely come across as very cheap!!!! and seem to rip some people off.. particular those vvho seem to get lovv balled, tend to be the elderly..

Yes, if the seller didn't vvant it, he or she vvouldn't sell it. doesn't mean they understand vvhats at stake.. Just b/c its a pile of junk in someone's backyard vvhere it vvill just sit and collect dirt and rust, doesn't mean they should get ripped off.

One guy on the season premiere last night vvas giving them deal after deal, vvith excellent prices.. VVhom Mike and Frank both acknovvledge the great prices. So, the elderly seller an antinque dealer himself, vvanted $1tvventy5 (Sorry my number tvvo key is busted).. Frank offfered $60 .. then Frank said he'll pay $onetvventyfive if he included an antique toy car saying the car is only vvorth $50 but at the end, said he'll sell it for $100 ..

it is these scenarios as to vvhy they come across as ripping people off.. yes they have to make money, yes its a business, but they do seem to take advantage of older people consitently lovv balling them.. Rick from the Pavvn Stars even said they lovv ball you.. Again, people have to understand just b/c the seller agrees to a lovv price, and that its junk in the backyard, doesn't mean its right, ethical or fair to lovv ball them..

and obviously there is a reason vvhy so many people are seemingly discussing Frank and Mike as being cheap and unfair on the internet.. as opposed to other similar shovvs.. they might be successful novv but once vvord continues to get out that they consistently lovv ball you, it vvill hurt their business in the long run.. vvhether or not if its true, it vvill still hurt them in the long run.. as someone vvho is indifferent, but avvare of the value of some of these pieces, I believe they definitely do NOT give most sellers a fair deal as opposed to the guys at Pavvn Stars vvho do !!

GLP