HISTORY CHANNEL****FOR SHAME***AMERICAN PICKERS

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22049841
United States
08/16/2012 12:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: HISTORY CHANNEL****FOR SHAME***AMERICAN PICKERS
Its all about the money, as more and more "reality" shows are. Money Money Money Money. I bought low and sold high. I get it, but as a collector and enthusiast of nostalgia, Its not, nor ever has been about the money for me. I am sorry it has degraded to that.

Also, taken at face value, I see a huge difference between pawnstars and pickers. Pawn star customers bring the item in, are given a fair (or somewhat fair)estimate of its value and sell or not. Pickers invade a persons home, and almost always have to undercut them, when they would even usually make money at the asking price. Boy I wish I could buy some of that stuff at the prices they get it for.

Also, why would you go somewhere and buy for example one sign in a room of signs, when they all could be sold for a profit? Its allot of BS if you ask me. Taking advantage of old people for the money. They say they "collect" this or that, but they dont, they just flip things.

Sorry for the rant.
Person445

User ID: 11438968
Canada
08/16/2012 11:59 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.americanpickersfake.com]

Frank was an obvious addition to the show however, as he had an interest in antiques and in his spare-time bought and sold them. Mike and Frank have known each other for so long that their natural rapport made for good television and created the basis for the concept that two guys travelling the Mid-West could make a real living knocking on the doors of good old-fashioned American folk.

The addition of Danielle was less obvious mind you. From female roller-derby star to burlesque performer and fashion designer, Danielle Colby-Cushman, a Jehovah's Witness and mother of three, knew nothing of antiques, with the sole exception being her decade-long friendship with Mike Wolfe.

Once the show had been given the green-light for cable TV, Mike Wolfe quickly gave her an acting gig and now plays the role of "office manager" at Antique Archaeology.

Sadly, one has to assume that her inclusion is to sell sex, unfortunately she isn't sexy and no matter how hard the show tries or pretends, no one is buying Danielle's "junk".

...Con't @ [link to www.americanpickersfake.com]
Follow me on Twitter: @RussellScott202
Anonimous Cowerd

User ID: 1248699
United States
08/16/2012 12:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
American Asspickers.
Apollo astronauts couldn't have passed through Van Allen's Belt. Van Allen wore suspenders.
Chans
User ID: 1716370
United States
08/17/2012 11:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
I like Mike and Frank. They are doing most of these people a service. So what if they paid 1 dollar and sold the item for 5. It's the way things work, your local used car sales man will do this and so will EVERY business. If the person agrees to sell for that price then there's nothing wrong.
Cyted
User ID: 22366885
United Kingdom
08/21/2012 04:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
Lets not forget they drop bollocks and buy some stuff that isn't worth what they paid.

No one has to let them have a scrounge round their homes, they can say no, get off my land. Some people also phone them when they drop leaflets, they are a business after all and are in it to make a living.
PML
User ID: 1340573
United States
09/11/2012 03:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
What a bunch of gullable morons. That is just what America is full of these days, it's a shame. Those idiots have a net worth of over 3 million dollars each or more yet they want to argue a poor feeble old man over $5.00, give me a break. They can make their money, everyone is entitled to that but when we are all well aware that they make tons of money from their show, what is the point in them even picking anymore and ripping these people off? they should just give these poor souls what they are asking for this stuff b/c THEY DONT NEED THE MONEY. Dont you jokers see that they buy most of that stuff for themselves? The stuff in their store is "inspired by" the show. It's all fake. I guess all you people think it is real. I love how they act as though they stumbled upon some junky house and yet when they knock on the door, the camera man is already inside. Anyway, yeah, they should be shot. They remind me of that Bugs Bunny cartoon, the one when those 2 guys are marrooned on an island and they are so hungry that the one pictures the other being a hamburger and he pictures the other man as being a hot dog. Mike is the hot dog and Frank is the hamburger. I hate those 2 so much I could talk about them all day. Why is Mikes nose crooked? probably b/c someone had enough of his jackassery and punched him square in his beak. I just don't like how they act like they need money yet they are making tons of it from the show. And what will Danielle look like in 20 years...some haggard old inked up sea witch. Man I hate that show. Come to Pennsylvania again you jerkoffs, I dare you. It is great how they try to "help people" get rid of stuff and then only buy a candle stick, and oil can and a sign. Retards. Yeah, big help. I'm hoping that one day they contract meningitis from the rat poop in someone's barn. And they make so much money but Frank cant even buy a new tshirt, he wears that sweaty old brown one all the time. Man, I wish I would see those 2 in a dark alley.
Carlos
User ID: 4573931
United States
10/03/2012 06:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Before the 1960s there were virtually no storage businesses in the U.S. Americans are accumulators and hoarders. Mike & Frank are just middle men making a buck moving items from one accumulator to another.
birdbrain
User ID: 24825617
United Kingdom
10/03/2012 06:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
you americans are sooooo lucky with those beautiful homes stacks of land no nosey neighbours, such a huge place i am so jealous good luck anyways, I love america
db
User ID: 27024825
United States
11/04/2012 09:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
What a bunch of disgruntled people
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1552674
United Kingdom
11/18/2012 12:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm really shocked with your attitude guys,Mike and Frank go in and they let people know the score from the outset.They pay cash,look this stuff would end up in the garbage
in most casesi.Give them a break.
tat
User ID: 28211946
United Kingdom
11/21/2012 10:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
you only need to see the knowing look they give each other when some very old man or woman sells them something for way below its worth, its a sad knowing nod saying "hey mike beat that price"

they are a pair of scammers, who hopefully will venture onto the 21st century Ed Gein's property and find some "picker karma"
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27219251
United States
11/21/2012 10:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
What I CAN NOT believe is that this stupid thread has been going for 2 years!

THAT is the real crime.

TURN OFF YOUR TV's, FOLKS! You will thank me for it...
Arne Saknussen
User ID: 28366353
United States
11/23/2012 08:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
Wow! I have read only a couple of pages and I can't believe that people must resort to such childish name calling. Do you think your point is made stronger by such usage? Let me just say it makes it weaker.
Personally, I like the show. My parents were into collecting, so I guess there is some kind of nostalgia about it for me.
It should be understood that there is really no set value to any of this stuff. True, some people will pay a fortune for what seems to be rusty junk. But they are the ones who set the price. And, unless you know those people, you aren't going to get those high prices. I just sold my entire collection of comics to a dealer, knowing full well that they have the intention of reselling them for much more. I may have made more on EBay, or whatever, but I didn't want to take the time and effort. And, I got rid of the whole lot. Win, win for both of us.
If something is hiding behind weeds and vines, it is junk no matter what it might be worth to someone else. I see nothing wrong with someone searching for this "junk", things that would be still be rotting into the ground, pulling it out and ask for a price. Where it has been sitting for years isn't going to make anyone any money.
And please do not forget, it's TV! You don't see the whole picture. Only what is edited and, in a lot of cases, performed.
Hmmm
User ID: 21714399
Canada
11/29/2012 08:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
Not sure why you people get so bent out of shape? I thought Americans believed in capitalism......so what if they post buy and sell prices, how can you take offence to this. Maybe you should try running your own business and find out the real costs. Travel, overhead, wages, taxes........for all of you naysayers, I say do something with your life to improve your standing, and PROFIT is not a dirty word.

The fact is they dig this stuff up out of cesspools of filth, the truth is the little old lady doesn't realize she has anything valuable till it is shown to her.

The proud CANADIAN!
Bill C
User ID: 29000434
United States
12/03/2012 01:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
you people are nuts, i bet everyone that is whining here has both bought something for less than it is worth, maybe at a garage sale or sold something for more than it is worth

they have to maintain their van, buy gas for it, pay the mortage on their shop, pay Danny D

it's like some of you don't have the first clue about how a business is run

the only way they can stay in business is to pay between 50 and 75% of the retail value

it would cost these folks 30% to enter items into an auction and then they would have to pay taxes on the money

finally, most of the people seem to be hoarders, which is an unfortunate problem ... so anything they part with might help them recover from their problem
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15846147
United States
12/03/2012 01:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz--business partners in Iowa-based Antique Archaeology and friends since the 8th grade--are part sleuths, part antiques experts, and part cultural historians.

that should answer your questions on the morality of this program!!!!

5a
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 849758

clappa
Macram
User ID: 29253380
United States
12/07/2012 02:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yeah, you guys are imbeciles. How much are the clothes you're wearing? Those $40 Levi's probably are three bucks in material, IF that. That's a little less than the retailers purchase them for.

Besides, most of these guys should be on hoarders. Mike and Frank are doing them a service. Not to mention they often donate or offer their services to museums (for the show anyways). They had a dinosaur bone bought for 450 that was probably worth 50,000+ and they gave it to a museum.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure they have the most-watched show ever on History Channel. So people obviously love it
Supid Show
User ID: 4176555
Malaysia
12/24/2012 03:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
I absolutely agree. These bunch of idiots make me sick. I don't watch this program and I even switch channel when they show the promo ad. It is stupid and the two idiots are annoying and rude and think they are cute and funny. Blah!

I can NOT believe that the HISTORY channel would show such a disgrace to our older generation. TO think for one minute this would somehow be cleared to air is appalling. To brag or somehow boast about an unsolicited visit to Leland's farm and the price paid versus the actual value should be illegal. If this would have been my granddad I would have felt robbed of my family heirloom and treasures. The History Channel should immediately cancel this show!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were so looking forward to a new show that was really about hidden treasures in American not thievery we couldn't even finish the show.

These guys are scum bags !!!!! Nice job History Channel way to promote thieves . I would love to meet these guys face to face , and work a deal out with them. If you know what I mean ! And my parents always told me crime doesn't pay, unless you make a show for the History Channel .Way to teach kids its ok to steal from the older generation. History Channel you should make things right pay these people fair price for their stuff, and fire these dirt bags
 Quoting: HISTORY CHANNEL****FOR SHAME** 868648
nooneinpart
User ID: 32677415
Canada
01/20/2013 07:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
PROFIT is not a dirty word.

The fact is they dig this stuff up out of cesspools of filth, the truth is the little old lady doesn't realize she has anything valuable till it is shown to her.

The proud CANADIAN!

I'm also a proud Canadian. And I've run a business for years. I've also bought and sold stuff for the past 40 years.

Here's the thing: Profit is not a dirty word, but there's a fine line between a REASONABLE & FAIR profit and one that is more on the criminal side.

And the fact that the little old lady doesn't realize she has anything valuable is all the MORE reason to be honest and fair. She's vulnerable and probably worked and struggled all her life and should be treated with honesty and respect. These guys can still make a decent profit without leaving her with $5.00 for something they know in their hearts is worth $100.00 or more. It's called "A Conscience". A dirty word in business. Too bad, cause that's precisely what good business is all about- when you can square your profit with your ethics and values.

My parents have had their farm trespassed on for years by pickers. Luckily, they had their kids to look out for them and we sold the stuff for them with a little research and legwork. I feel sorry for these older or more simple minded people who fall for all that snake oil. Picker: "I'll give you $10.00 for this antique sign." Seller: "Well, I was kind of thinking more of $75.00" Picker looks pained, studies the item, looks all around, hems and haws, shakes his head-- oh no, I couldn't possibly go to $75.00-- I'd go $15.00 but that's it. I don't even know why I'm offering that- it might not even sell (bullshit- these people have buyers and connections up the ying yang, just like pawn brokers do). So the seller feels bad, feels like they must have overvalued the item or been greedy on national TV, and says "okay, $15.00". The picker walks away with a sign he well knows is worth about $350.00, but he looks like such a swell guy cause he "worked" with the seller.

This is the oldest trick in the book. These guys WORK at it to be charming, suckish, and personable, but never forget -- they are vultures when it comes to this stuff. Mike said they'd been doing this together for 25 years. Do you honestly think they'd stay in it so long for only a little profit? Come on. They're salting away their earnings for a nice fat early retirement. Yes, they work hard scavanging all this stuff, but my parents worked a helluva harder than they could even imagine. They wouldn't come close to fallowing my Dad around on a farm before they had all this modern equipment. And sometimes we went hungry and if anyone ever deserved to be treated fairly, it was my parents. So who do you think needs the money more? Two young guys with a wad of money saved up by weaseling, or 2 kind old people who have helped others all their lives and worked like demons to make an honest and fair living and lived by the golden rule. Those are the kind of people you can trust and count on.

See these are the kind of people Frank and Mike like best. The people who 1) aren't up on current values; and 2) are too polite to call them on their bullshit and show them the door.

Of course, there are exceptions to every case, and some sellers are just as bad and just as greedy and deserve it when they get ripped off.

See, the point isn't that these old people are sitting om stuff they don't know about or know it's valuable isn't the point. The point is the lack of integrity of a person who would come along and basically lie to them about its worth, now and then pulling the old "hero" act- "Oh no I couldn't let you take just $15.00 for that-- it's worth more than that-- I'll give you $25.00" Yeah. For an item they well know is worth $125.00. Think they'd record that on camera?

They have a busload of tricks to use on people and you can't really believe much of what they say. It's ALL about money. This business about Mike "Having a love affair" with this or that bike-- then in the next breath, "I've got a buyer for that". So much for love, right? Shows you the kind of values he has. I love it, but I love money more. And these false numbers they crunch at show's end. "I bought this bicycle for $20.00 and I plan to ask $80.00" Yeah, right. You mean you plan to ask $200.00. They're not innocents abroad- they know exactly what they have and who will buy it and for how much. But they're good- they make themselves charming. They know they have to schmooze and charm these people to get the most out of them. All the pros know how to do that- it's the biggest trick of the trade. The worst part is, that there is an element of truth in this-- they do love the junk and hunting for it, and they profess to love the people they are lowballing-- questionable-- but never kid yourself-- the almighty dollar is KING. Frank collecting recyclable stuff so he can make a few quarters. Mike calls him on it, cause he KNOWS Frank- that was a very telling scene.

They have made more than enough to retire on right now and their show has made them famous and wealthy with rich and famous contacts. Yeah, they should leave the old wizened farmer with arthritic hands $15.00 for a $125.00 item. Right? What's wrong with that, right?

Indeed.
Tilly143
User ID: 7522680
United States
01/24/2013 09:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
[I can tell most people who have commented on this ....

1) They have not watched many of these shows. These guys are dealing with hoarders and often sell them stuff they loose money on. These guys often tell the hoarders they will pay more than they are asking (when they know ahead the value)

2) I am getting the feeling a few of these folks are off their Prozec or righteous wanna-be's . Your on the wrong path.

3) I am betting you have some serious issues( not about this show or this peron who is bringing to your attention) and right now wishing you could hurt someone. Advice "Seek help"

I do not like 99.9 % of the reality shows on ..but guess what I do? Turn the channel and not post my crazy side!
I agree with this Author below!

quote:lapis lazuli 847343:MV85Njg4MzVfMTUxMjk4NTRfODYwQUMwMUQ=]
LOL! Some of you people are really quite hilarious.

Apparently people roaming the countryside offering cash for other peoples belongings that are rotting away in the back yard is now a symbol of the downfall of Western civilization! LOL!

As for the other show on the history channel called "pawn stars" I like that one too. I find it very interesting when people bring in and what's worth a lot of money and what's worth almost no money. Plus you sometimes get a little mini history lesson in there.

Geez! You people will find just about anything to cry about and rally around and pronounce how it's the most evil thing in the history of the universe

LOL! Some of you people are really quite hilarious.

Apparently people roaming the countryside offering cash for other peoples belongings that are rotting away in the back yard is now a symbol of the downfall of Western civilization! LOL!

As for the other show on the history channel called "pawn stars" I like that one too. I find it very interesting when people bring in and what's worth a lot of money and what's worth almost no money. Plus you sometimes get a little mini history lesson in there.

Geez! You people will find just about anything to cry about and rally around and pronounce how it's the most evil thing in the history of the universe
 Quoting: lapis lazuli 847343
Tilly143
User ID: 7522680
United States
01/24/2013 09:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Are you ?
What a stupid question ..when that become a issue or your business . If you watched the show you would know the answer.
Strange issue for someone to be questioning.

by the way, are these two guys gay lovers?

Serious question
 Quoting: lapis lazuli 847343
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 16849406
United States
01/24/2013 09:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
lots of sheep here. Its just a fucking tv show for fucks sake!!

rofl
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23004989
United States
01/24/2013 09:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
You fucking idiots. These type of people are doing these old men and women, anyone for that matter, a huge favor. This shit they buy would have sat in their homes forever and rotted away if it wasn't for them coming in and buying it. SO WHAT IF THEY PAY THEM A FRACTION OF ITS WORTH! Either they get nothing and die with their shit rotting away or they make a buck on it while still alive. It's either some or nothing and if these "pickers" don't come in and buy it, NO ONE WILL!
PatTheRat
User ID: 24786107
United States
01/28/2013 11:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
if the seller agrees to the price and is happy, i see nothing wrong, although I would truly hate to sell something worth a lot for a steal of a price.

To an 88 yr old guy who likely paid less than a dollar for something, to get $5 or more may seem like a great deal for him, and he is likely not savvy enough to use ebay.

The buyer is taking a risk as well.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 779573

But he was 88 years old! They obviously took advantage of him. Someone who is of good mind and good health who sells too low, then I have little to no sympathy, but when they literally steal from an elderly man who obviously can use the money, then that's crossing a line. I just watched a rerun of this episode and could not help crying over what they did.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/28/2013 11:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
You fucking idiots. These type of people are doing these old men and women, anyone for that matter, a huge favor. This shit they buy would have sat in their homes forever and rotted away if it wasn't for them coming in and buying it. SO WHAT IF THEY PAY THEM A FRACTION OF ITS WORTH! Either they get nothing and die with their shit rotting away or they make a buck on it while still alive. It's either some or nothing and if these "pickers" don't come in and buy it, NO ONE WILL!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 23004989

There is a thing called eBay. It's not that hard anymore, Sherlock, to sell stuff. People taking advantage of old people is not my idea of entertainment, and is in fact illegal in most states.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/28/2013 11:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
I can NOT believe that the HISTORY channel would show such a disgrace to our older generation. TO think for one minute this would somehow be cleared to air is appalling. To brag or somehow boast about an unsolicited visit to Leland's farm and the price paid versus the actual value should be illegal. If this would have been my granddad I would have felt robbed of my family heirloom and treasures. The History Channel should immediately cancel this show!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were so looking forward to a new show that was really about hidden treasures in American not thievery we couldn't even finish the show.

These guys are scum bags !!!!! Nice job History Channel way to promote thieves . I would love to meet these guys face to face , and work a deal out with them. If you know what I mean ! And my parents always told me crime doesn't pay, unless you make a show for the History Channel .Way to teach kids its ok to steal from the older generation. History Channel you should make things right pay these people fair price for their stuff, and fire these dirt bags
 Quoting: HISTORY CHANNEL****FOR SHAME** 868648

If someone sells an item for an agreed upon price, it is not "theft", even if the dimwit selling it is ignorant of the value. That's not the BUYERS fault.

And when the man objective of going to all the trouble of hunting down bargains is to MAKE MONEY, your expectations are ridiculous.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 18952592

It's obvious you know very little of the law. When someone comes into your home to buy or sell an item or a service, most states have a 3 day cancellation period for the reason that we saw in this episode. Too many people go into the homes of the elderly and literally rob them blind, just like what we saw in this episode. I can't believe you have no compassion for the elderly; someday you will be elderly and I hope someone robs you blind just like these guys did Leland. May God have mercy on your soul.
Uncle Bob
User ID: 32704198
Canada
02/09/2013 04:11 AM
Report Abusive Post
These guy crack me up an mike he would #$%@ your grand mother if he could.like when they bought that 57 chevy for rick on pawn stars he got rick on that deal mike payed 5500 for it an he wanted 8500 or 9000 for it an they are suuppost to be freinds.wtf
 Quoting: magnum91 1547378

Because you moran, it took them days to find the damn thing, then they had to pay to have it transported across 3 states. Minus all the costs to pay their food / lodging and trasport, that was probably 1000 to 1500 in profit.

Wow they are really ripping him off huh?

THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE DUMMY.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 835530

When I am selling things I don't care how many days for you to find, or where you have to ship it to. They no some seniors don't know the true value of things. I have noticed when they say, I really like that person is usually when they ripped them off the most. If they showed up at my fathers place, I am sure I would show them the door in less then 5 minutes. They can't fool me but maybe my 70 year old father. Just imaging if there were no camera they would be Billionaires.
simultaneous_final

User ID: 33292391
United States
02/09/2013 04:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
You non buyers/sellers are fucking clueless. As a jeweller, used jewelry and scrap walk into my store every fucking day. And on top of that, I hit up every garage sale and flea market in five counties. If you think I pay ANYWHERE near retail, you are way off.

Remember, dumbasses--everything that I'm haggling to buy, someone will be haggling with me to buy.

So don't get it twisted. A seller knows what he paid for the item. If he can sell it quickly and double his money, he usually does.

Quite frankly, I think Mike and Frank from Pickers generally pay way too much for items. Same with Pawn Stars. It's not practical. It's a lot of risk to take on.
A subject observes itself observing itself observing itself observing itself observing itself observing itself observing itself observing itself ad infinitum.
simultaneous_final

User ID: 33292391
United States
02/09/2013 04:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
It's clear that you guys have no idea what it takes to run a business. It's also clear that you have no idea about the rules of buying and selling.
A subject observes itself observing itself observing itself observing itself observing itself observing itself observing itself observing itself ad infinitum.
Dr. Lecter

User ID: 33343893
United States
02/09/2013 04:31 AM
Report Abusive Post
As long as both the buyer and seller are pleased and an agreement has been reached, what's the big deal?

It's called "Free Market".

You should try it some time. You just might like it.
"Moral of the story is I chose a half measure when I should have gone all the way. I'll never make that mistake again.

==== ESTJ-a (Executive) 93% Extroverted, 82% Observant, 83% Thinking, 82% Judging,72% Assertive ====

GLP