HISTORY CHANNEL****FOR SHAME***AMERICAN PICKERS

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 833035
United States
04/12/2010 07:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: HISTORY CHANNEL****FOR SHAME***AMERICAN PICKERS
When you go into a Cracker Barrel or one of those "artsy" tourist traps - where do you think all of that old crap on the walls came from ? Yes, there are people that do this for a living.
And yes I agree with the OP - ripping off people sux and HC needs to be investigated. The only reason they are geeting stuff on the cheap is the economy and people (especially those on fixed incomes) need the money.
Ritchie
User ID: 951406
United States
04/23/2010 08:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
I in no way think these guys are "Stealing". Most of the people know exactly how much there stuff is worth and willingly sell their items. Also their not stealing in this respect...Yes when they buy low then sell high but these old people are not going to go to experts that are going to restore the items. Theyll let it just lay in their yard for years upon years coverd in bush.
ItQuacksLikeaDuck
User ID: 952801
United States
04/25/2010 01:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
by the way, are these two guys gay lovers?

Serious question
 Quoting: lapis lazuli 847343

Idol1
Duh, they travel around the country, stay in the same hotel and regularly trash the one female they employed to watch their shop while they're on the road when she doesn't search the net with good 'nough "pick" potential! Not only are they queer lovers who are barely in the closet, but they are mysogynists besides. Watch how they flirt with each other and trash their female employee...it's disgusting, not to mention their infringement on private property with their sense of entitlement and their loosely conceived moniker or "archaeologists". Disgusting fer sur.
asdfjlk
User ID: 954041
United States
04/26/2010 09:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
are they gay together?
dustoff1

User ID: 954112
United States
04/26/2010 11:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
As someone who buys and sells for a living, I can tell you these guys are not ripping anyone off. They work hard and make probably a decent living. There is nothing wrong at all with anything I see them doing. To the guy who is ranting and raving about this... get a grip! This is AMERICA! What would you do? Outlaw traders? What is your deal? What a bunch of sour grapes!
Really... You know.. I just read your post again? WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM? ARE YOU SOME KIND OF MORON?

THEY DO A GOOD JOB!

ITS IGNORANT, NARROW MINDED PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT MAKE BUYING AND SELLING A DIFFICULT PROPOSITION.

IF YOU WALKED INTO ONE OF MY STORES I WOULD THROW YOU OUT!

NO COMPUTERS FOR YOU!
Anonymous Cowardess
User ID: 587427
United States
04/26/2010 11:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
I can NOT believe that the HISTORY channel would show such a disgrace to our older generation. TO think for one minute this would somehow be cleared to air is appalling. To brag or somehow boast about an unsolicited visit to Leland's farm and the price paid versus the actual value should be illegal. If this would have been my granddad I would have felt robbed of my family heirloom and treasures. The History Channel should immediately cancel this show!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were so looking forward to a new show that was really about hidden treasures in American not thievery we couldn't even finish the show.

These guys are scum bags !!!!! Nice job History Channel way to promote thieves . I would love to meet these guys face to face , and work a deal out with them. If you know what I mean ! And my parents always told me crime doesn't pay, unless you make a show for the History Channel .Way to teach kids its ok to steal from the older generation. History Channel you should make things right pay these people fair price for their stuff, and fire these dirt bags
 Quoting: HISTORY CHANNEL****FOR SHAME** 868648

I love this show too!=)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 954117
United States
04/26/2010 11:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
I watched the show and was mildly amused at seeing them buy absolutely worthless SHIT and then pretend to sell it to anybody. Can you honestly believe that anybody could make a living buying rusting old worthless shit and then actually finding anybody that wants to buy it? LMAO!
Anonymous Coward
United States
04/26/2010 11:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
They buy absolute SHIT. Rusted-out motor scooters with no wheels or motor, rusted-out 50-year-old POS carnival rides that have sat in a farm field for 20 years....it's laughable.
Anonymous Coward
United States
04/26/2010 11:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hollywood! They must be getting desperate.
natasha77

User ID: 954094
United States
04/27/2010 12:15 AM
Report Abusive Post
:ff22:
SPEAK UP. SILENCE IS DEADLY!

I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.
Lisa
User ID: 957332
United States
04/30/2010 03:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
There seems to be a profound misunderstanding among many of you as to the "value" of objects & collectibles, as if everything has a universal "face value", like currency.

If a high-falutin' New York shop buys an enamel gas station sign from a farmer in Pennsylvania for $50, then sells it for $500 in their New York store, IT DOES NOT FOLLOW that the farmer was bamboozled out of $450.

The farmer can sell it for $500 too, so long as he:

1) spends years researching collectibles to know what people want to buy

2) rents a space in NY for about $10,000 a month

3) renovates the space for tens of thousands of dollars

4) hires staff

5) obtains insurance and all manner of necessary licenses

6) artfully displays the enamel sign in his shop, tirelessly answering questions about its history, for as many weeks or months or years as it takes to sell it for $500.

See? The world's not so unjust-- you're just too stupid to comprehend the world.

Is it really the dealer who's "greedy", or is it the person who expects to reap the fruits of the dealer's labor for free, just because they found an old enamel sign at the junkyard?
Lisa
User ID: 957332
United States
04/30/2010 03:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
...not that the markup is that high on American Pickers. I've watched the show two or three times, and I'm astounded at how low their markup is, versus what they buy it for!

The "hayseeds" they buy from know precisely what these things are worth-- if anything, they seem to overestimate the worth. They seems to think they should be paid premium metropolitan prices from out of their garages & basements.
Evenstar
User ID: 787926
United States
04/30/2010 04:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well, I didn't see that particular episode but I have watched a few and did not think anyone was getting screwed. Alot of elderly people leave old stuff rotting away in their garages and don't really care about it and would prefer to get rid of it for quick cash. As for passing it down to their children or grandchildren...well I can tell you there is a good chance they will turn around and sell it for quick cash as well.

I have bought a few antiques on the cheap myself, from young kids on craigslist who don't want grandmas old fashioned furniture. They want shiny brand new crappy made IKEA and they don't bother to find out whether or not something is valuable, they just want the quick cash.

I have a few nice pieces thanks to craislist and young college kids who don't really care...last thing I bought was an 1800's sleigh bed. They knew it was from the 1800's and did not care to find out what they had. I bought it because it was perfect for my guest room and kinda pretty!

I'm not an appraiser but I do have a good eye, and later found out that the bed was a French Imperial worth 3 - 5 K! My Mom sold alot of family heirlooms when we were growing up, and she sold them cheap! It would kill me when she did it, but a single mom with 3 kids trying to make ends meet will do what they have to and take care of their family.

I did not see that particular episode, however alot of people will sell stuff cheap that may be very valuabe and have a variety of reasons for doing so.

Cheers!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 959239
United States
05/02/2010 05:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
There seems to be a profound misunderstanding among many of you as to the "value" of objects & collectibles, as if everything has a universal "face value", like currency.

If a high-falutin' New York shop buys an enamel gas station sign from a farmer in Pennsylvania for $50, then sells it for $500 in their New York store, IT DOES NOT FOLLOW that the farmer was bamboozled out of $450.

The farmer can sell it for $500 too, so long as he:

1) spends years researching collectibles to know what people want to buy

2) rents a space in NY for about $10,000 a month

3) renovates the space for tens of thousands of dollars

4) hires staff

5) obtains insurance and all manner of necessary licenses

6) artfully displays the enamel sign in his shop, tirelessly answering questions about its history, for as many weeks or months or years as it takes to sell it for $500.

See? The world's not so unjust-- you're just too stupid to comprehend the world.

Is it really the dealer who's "greedy", or is it the person who expects to reap the fruits of the dealer's labor for free, just because they found an old enamel sign at the junkyard?
 Quoting: Lisa 957332

Here's someone that understands !!!

To those just seeing the buy and sell figures, you have to realize that in the American pickers world (as in any business where a deal is made) - a reasonably small portion of deals turns out to be very high profit

1) On the show, you see plenty of "valued at" for the items they buy. That doesn't mean they got it or will get it. It might sit around for months or years.

2) They have overheads....3 staff, premises, insurance, fuel, permits, utilities etc. Profit needs to be made to cover those first. I've had retail premises before, at least 60% of any profit (not sale price) went to bills before I even took my wage.

So even if grandpa's rust old Harley Davidson bike crank might be worth $500 and they get it for $150...they have expenses to pay out of that $350 profit "IF" they can sell it.

Grandpa would never have got $150 for it anyway, let alone $500 because its been sat in 5 acres of rust for the last 50 years. Maybe, if he did a ton of market research, found a keen buyer he might have got somewhere with its sale but these two guys turned up.....gave him way more than he likely thinks possible, no pressure and everyones happy because they either made a few bucks (grandpa) or might mike a few (pickers).

Dealing has been around since the dawn of man....if you're both happy with the outcome....its a good deal.
ceawaves

User ID: 959120
United States
05/02/2010 05:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
History channel in cahoots with 0bama big time, they're even rewriting history for him..
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 954745
United States
05/02/2010 05:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
by the way, are these two guys gay lovers?

Serious question

Idol1
Duh, they travel around the country, stay in the same hotel and regularly trash the one female they employed to watch their shop while they're on the road when she doesn't search the net with good 'nough "pick" potential! Not only are they queer lovers who are barely in the closet, but they are mysogynists besides. Watch how they flirt with each other and trash their female employee...it's disgusting, not to mention their infringement on private property with their sense of entitlement and their loosely conceived moniker or "archaeologists". Disgusting fer sur.
 Quoting: ItQuacksLikeaDuck 952801

hear, hear
Me
User ID: 959829
United States
05/03/2010 10:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
I can't believe how little profit they make on the items. They drive around the country in that van that sucks gas and only make $75 or so on a bunch of the items they pick. I am thinking the camera only is showing the generous offers they make and hiding the ones they actually make enough money to live off of.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 964912
United States
05/08/2010 07:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
I can NOT believe that the HISTORY channel would show such a disgrace to our older generation. TO think for one minute this would somehow be cleared to air is appalling. To brag or somehow boast about an unsolicited visit to Leland's farm and the price paid versus the actual value should be illegal. If this would have been my granddad I would have felt robbed of my family heirloom and treasures. The History Channel should immediately cancel this show!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were so looking forward to a new show that was really about hidden treasures in American not thievery we couldn't even finish the show.

These guys are scum bags !!!!! Nice job History Channel way to promote thieves . I would love to meet these guys face to face , and work a deal out with them. If you know what I mean ! And my parents always told me crime doesn't pay, unless you make a show for the History Channel .Way to teach kids its ok to steal from the older generation. History Channel you should make things right pay these people fair price for their stuff, and fire these dirt bags
the prophecyer

User ID: 870032
United States
05/08/2010 07:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
actually I can't believe they actually do pay what they do for some of that junk.
Try not. do, or do not. There is no try!

[link to www.youtube.com]
American Pecker
User ID: 966059
United States
05/10/2010 01:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
kitty Being in the UK I have not seen this show, but I must say it sounds bad. However don't necessarily believe all the $$$ figures that you hear bandied about. They could well be boasting.
 Quoting: 9teen.47™

If you haven't seen the show, you can't really judge if it's good or bad. I've seen the Pecker men offer more money than the person asked for to be fair to them. I've seen them grossly overpay for many items. The 1939 Plymouth coupe is one example. They paid $5500 for it and will take a huge loss if trying to sell it. The person they bought it from didn't pay a penny for it.
American Pecker
United States
05/10/2010 01:26 AM
Report Abusive Post

There is no such thing as "actual value". Value of an item is what a person is willing to pay and can vary wildly. I've seen the pecker men offer much more than the person was willing to sell for in order to be fair to them. They seem to go out of their way to be fair to people, which is more than I would do. On most of what I've seen, they've paid way TOO much. They offered the old hoarding bum $5000 for the 1939 Plymouth coupe and he held out for more! The guy had no money invested in it and it had been rotting in a shed for 30 years. You really need to chill out. Some of the old hoarding geezers could use the money and are getting much more than what their junk is worth and the items are finding a better home where they will get more respect than buried in bushes in the rain or buried in the ground.
American Pecker
United States
05/11/2010 01:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
Mike and Frank must have divorced. On their site antiquearchaeology.com, Frank is nowhere to be seen. It was probably the last straw when he blew $5500 on that 1939 Plymouth.
El Taco
United States
05/11/2010 03:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yes, Frank appears to have left the show. He's nowhere to be found on their site and History channel has a new commercial and it shows Mike only.
Nyfcyfcyfcrtcydcfv
User ID: 973874
United States
05/18/2010 01:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
Shut the fuck up. Someone is always there to bitch. Fuck you.yhycyrcdy
Youareadumbass
User ID: 973874
United States
05/18/2010 01:31 AM
Report Abusive Post
You are the same stupid mother fucker that says a car dealer screwed you because they made a little money. It's a business dumb ass they can't buy it at retail and sell it at retail. You should have to take an iq test before you are allowed to use the Internet.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 861535
United States
05/18/2010 11:54 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump
ProudGrandmom55
User ID: 974900
United States
05/19/2010 02:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
LOL! Some of you people are really quite hilarious.

Apparently people roaming the countryside offering cash for other peoples belongings that are rotting away in the back yard is now a symbol of the downfall of Western civilization! LOL!

As for the other show on the history channel called "pawn stars" I like that one too. I find it very interesting when people bring in and what's worth a lot of money and what's worth almost no money. Plus you sometimes get a little mini history lesson in there.

Geez! You people will find just about anything to cry about and rally around and pronounce how it's the most evil thing in the history of the universe
 Quoting: lapis lazuli 847343

AMEN to what you said lapis lazuli!!
I watch both American Pickers and Pawn Stars also. You are right. These families who live off the byways and in the country who have stuff sitting in their barns, sheds, attics,basements -they are probably Very thankful and appreciative that Mike and Frank came a long way to search through these items that have 30-40 years or more of dust on them. Plus if they work out a deal, the owner gets cash on the spot. If Mike and Frank did not come visit their places then the stuff in the buildings would just keep sitting there,keep collecting dust and rotting because these owners of the buildings where the American Pickers search would have no way to get all this stuff to town and probably could not afford to pay anyone else to come get it out of their way. Frank and Mike ask each person "How much do you want for this". "How much would you be willing to part with this item for". If the person selling to them says they want to keep their items because they don't think it is enough for what they thought it was worth, then Mike and Frank thank them and go on to next place.

If the person willing to part with their "treasures" quotes a price and the guys think it is too much, they will tell the owner it is and thank them and be on their way,or keep bartering & figuring out some other price if the owner of the items is willing. NO ONE is Making these people sell their belongings. Mike and Frank ALWAYS leave it up to the owners to decide whether they think what they are being offered is enough. I have seen them leave a place without buying anything because Mike and Frank could not either buy for the price the owners quoted to them, or the person had an emotional attachment to some of the items and changed their mind. So the American Pickers do not cheat anyone out of their money. If not for Mike and Frank, the stuff they look at would just keep sitting there and sitting there. Some of the owners of these sheds and barns,etc. are physically unabke to go through all their belongings and sort it out and have yard sales to sell their things. It would take months to go through some of those buildings and get out everything or anything that may be worth selling.
*Plus the people that the American Pickers go to see live so far out from town that no one would bother to go just for a yard sale.*

Cash on the spot for these items that goes back to early 1920's,1930's and so on,that is a Godsend for most of these ladies and gentlemen. *Who here thinks that these elderly people can go into their buildings,load up some antiques and go take it to the Antiques Roadshow for appraisal?
If you have watched the show, you know that most of the people willing to let Frank & Mike go through their stuff are retirees. They sound most happy to me to get that cash.This is called "Free Will".

hf
ProudGrandmom55
User ID: 974900
United States
05/19/2010 03:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
LOL! Some of you people are really quite hilarious.

Apparently people roaming the countryside offering cash for other peoples belongings that are rotting away in the back yard is now a symbol of the downfall of Western civilization! LOL!

As for the other show on the history channel called "pawn stars" I like that one too. I find it very interesting when people bring in and what's worth a lot of money and what's worth almost no money. Plus you sometimes get a little mini history lesson in there.

Geez! You people will find just about anything to cry about and rally around and pronounce how it's the most evil thing in the history of the universe

AMEN to what you said lapis lazuli!!
I watch both American Pickers and Pawn Stars also. You are right. These families who live off the byways and in the country who have stuff sitting in their barns, sheds, attics,basements -they are probably Very thankful and appreciative that Mike and Frank came a long way to search through these items that have 30-40 years or more of dust on them. Plus if they work out a deal, the owner gets cash on the spot. If Mike and Frank did not come visit their places then the stuff in the buildings would just keep sitting there,keep collecting dust and rotting because these owners of the buildings where the American Pickers search would have no way to get all this stuff to town and probably could not afford to pay anyone else to come get it out of their way. Frank and Mike ask each person "How much do you want for this". "How much would you be willing to part with this item for". If the person selling to them says they want to keep their items because they don't think it is enough for what they thought it was worth, then Mike and Frank thank them and go on to next place.

If the person willing to part with their "treasures" quotes a price and the guys think it is too much, they will tell the owner it is and thank them and be on their way,or keep bartering & figuring out some other price if the owner of the items is willing. NO ONE is Making these people sell their belongings. Mike and Frank ALWAYS leave it up to the owners to decide whether they think what they are being offered is enough. I have seen them leave a place without buying anything because Mike and Frank could not either buy for the price the owners quoted to them, or the person had an emotional attachment to some of the items and changed their mind. So the American Pickers do not cheat anyone out of their money. If not for Mike and Frank, the stuff they look at would just keep sitting there and sitting there. Some of the owners of these sheds and barns,etc. are physically unabke to go through all their belongings and sort it out and have yard sales to sell their things. It would take months to go through some of those buildings and get out everything or anything that may be worth selling.
*Plus the people that the American Pickers go to see live so far out from town that no one would bother to go just for a yard sale.*

Cash on the spot for these items that goes back to early 1920's,1930's and so on,that is a Godsend for most of these ladies and gentlemen. *Who here thinks that these elderly people can go into their buildings,load up some antiques and go take it to the Antiques Roadshow for appraisal?
If you have watched the show, you know that most of the people willing to let Frank & Mike go through their stuff are retirees. They sound most happy to me to get that cash.This is called "Free Will".

hf
 Quoting: ProudGrandmom55 974900

Also, you are right about learning some history from the items people take to Pawn Stars. Rick or Corey, Ricks' dad (who people call "Old Man") they all tell the seller something about the item they have brought in, or they will get one of their expert friends to come in and appraise it, free to the seller of the item. Most of the experts would ordinarily charge a fee to someone who brought their items to their place of business. But the experts who come into the shop to look at something and tell about the value are doing it as a personal favor to the Pawn Stars.
When the seller takes their item to the pawnshop they Know they are Not going to get fair market value on it. plus they know going in they will just have to take what is offered.They can leave if they are not offered what the item is worth. It is once again free will to either let the Pawn Stars buy it or leave the same way they came in, with no cash. I would say about 80-90% of the people know that Rick and guys have to make a profit. they can not give the seller whatever the expert says it is worth unless the pawn stars know they can really make a good deal.
When a person takes their item in to the Pawn Stars shop, they have two options- pawn it and get it back like in 120 days or just sell it outright. so if they don't want to part with something for good, say pawn it and they will loan you some cash. You know when you go in the door that you have to pay them back with interest to get your item back. If you don't think the Pawn Stars are offering you enough money, then take your item home, take photos of it and post these on ebay or yahoo auctions and see what you get. it is free to join ebay. there is a fee of course to sell things on there but not a lot. You put the item(s) on there and set an amount of days on the item. if it does not sell in that time you can relist it until you do sell it or you take it to a dealer who buys antiques or whatever. Don't accuse the guys on Pawn Stars or American Pickers of being crooks or thieves. They are not!! America is still a free country so neither of these places can make a person sell anyting they don't want to. peace
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 933476
United States
05/19/2010 03:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
History Channel had deleted many a post against these two thugs/crooks. Just like the way they like to rewrite history!

AMERICAN PICKERS==2 GREEDY AMERICANS BENT ON SCREWING OLDER PEOPLE OUT OF THEIR TREASURES. ALL WITH A SMILE OF COURSE((((((((

This show reminds me why I hate most people anymore...they are evil at heart and not willing to change!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 868942

bsflag
These guys are totally respectful. You stupid bitches wouldn't know a fair trade if you saw one. It's a great show.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 933476
United States
05/19/2010 03:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
History Channel had deleted many a post against these two thugs/crooks. Just like the way they like to rewrite history!

AMERICAN PICKERS==2 GREEDY AMERICANS BENT ON SCREWING OLDER PEOPLE OUT OF THEIR TREASURES. ALL WITH A SMILE OF COURSE((((((((

This show reminds me why I hate most people anymore...they are evil at heart and not willing to change!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 868942

bsflag

GLP