Users Online Now: 1,108 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 77,085
Pageviews Today: 134,262Threads Today: 74Posts Today: 1,203
02:24 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject My SIL the Catholic Nun has MS & Nutritional Therapies Can Help Her, Should I Piss Off Junk Food Family to Tell Her This?
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Serious Dilemma!

My Sister in Law, the Catholic Nun, has just been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. IMO there are nutritional therapies that can definitely help her, should I piss off the junk-food-fanatic, health-food-bashing family to tell her this?

I really am tormented by this. Please help!

Below is a short version of my story and the long story, pick one.

Cliff's Notes:

Sister in law, a Catholic teaching Nun, has just been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, a terrible neurodegenerative disease. MS is a disease linked to chronic lifetime dietary and lifestyle vitamin D insufficiency.

Husband's family are relentless, prejudiced and ignorant junk-food, comfort-food junkies who cling to their Suburban comfort food and belittle and ridicule my fresh whole foods diet. Not kidding. They are literally hostile to my eating fresh foods & whole grains and resent my not eating certain things with them. They refuse to take vitamin supplements.

I'm positive the doctor hasn't talked to sister in law about the recent research linking MS to chronic Vitamin D deficiency. There are clear risk factors for MS linked to vitamin D deficiency and she has them all. Vitamin D supplements can help stop the progression or even reverse MS.

If I try to talk to sister-in-law about her MS and talking vitamin D, this is certain to create new tension and/or more harassment of me by the jealous, fat, passive aggressive Hausfraus in my husband's family.

Should I let her nervous system rot while I keep my silence and enjoy peace? Or should I prepare myself to eat shit from the family and try to talk to her about the new alternative therapies for MS?

Long Version:

My Sister in Law the Catholic Nun has just been diagnosed with MS... and I have a Natural Healing Problem w/This. I did a quick review of the physiology of this disease, and it's pretty damn clear that her case of MS is yet another malnutrition syndrome of my husband's family.

Now there's already a totally unworkable breach between me and my husband's family over food, to the point where I visit I don't even eat their food at X-mas or Thanksgiving meals because it makes me sick and they continue to ignore the possibility that I could really be getting sick eating their food, and they passively aggressively block my attempts to cook for myself.

Their food is so unhealthy and intolerable, the visits have become surreal for me! Here's a thread I started last year when I dreaded an upcoming visit:

My Holiday Nightmare Looms: The In-Laws' Suburban Junk Food Culinary Hell
Thread: My Holiday Nightmare Looms: The In-Laws' Suburban Junk Food Culinary Hell

Needless to say, they have a lot of medical problems from their diet. Now, among the many malnutrition syndromes these Suburban Junk Food Hell cooks suffer from, some are vitamin-D related.

My MIL has osteoporosis so bad that she has become hunch-backed as her spine is collapsing under the weight of her head. She still won't take vitamin D supplements, even though blood tests show she's got Vitamin D deficiency. Irritable bowel syndrome has stricken more than one person in the family, including her, and that's an autoimmune disorder associated with vitamin D insufficiency.

Back to my sister in law the Catholic nun: she is in a veiled, cloistered order and also has the food/dietary culture of her family. Food is overcooked refined starch, sugar, fat and meat, and anything else, like vegetables, spices, fruits and herbs, are all what weird people from foreign countries eat. Now, suddenly she has multiple sclerosis and is being put on interferon.

I did some research and she has classic vitamin-D-deficiency pattern lifestyle risks for multiple sclerosis. Below are the vitamin D-MS links found in studies:

--She's born in the month of May, which is the month that many people who have MS are born in, as this sets up their vitamin-D-deficient mothers with steep vitamin D deficits during critical development stages of the pregnancy. Being born in the month of May (November in the Southern Hemisphere) increases risk of MS by 30%

--She lives in a higher latitude (not tropical or equatorial region). People who live in higher latitudes have higher incidences of MS.

--She also has a low nutrient meat-and-potatoes-and-butter diet low in fresh vegetables and fruits, and natural sources of vitamin D and the family has a prejudice against vitamin supplements and health foods, so their nutrition is all from their poor diet.

--She wears the religious veil that covers everything except for her hands and face, every day all year round. Studies show that regardless of other factors, women who wear the veil, or hajib, in Muslim countries have higher rates of MS than women who do not. Studies in Iran show that the incidence of MS in women in that country has increased in the decades since women were forced back into scarves, veils and concealing clothing.

--Vitamin-D-deficiency related syndromes exist in her immediate family, including her mom's irritable bowel syndrome and severe osteoporosis. In fact, irritable bowel syndrome and MS go hand in hand in populations where one or the other is high.

Now the problem I have is that I'm almost positive that the doctor hasn't run any of this Vitamin D info by her, since that's all experimental research in the past 15 years, and doctors only function off what's FDA approved. Anything else, including nutritional therapies, are not only not on their radar, but they aren't allowed by health insurance payment policies to use them.

Should I try to tell my sister in law about how her MS has this classic vitamin D deficiency pattern? The same body of research shows that vitamin D therapies can stop recurring episodes and even stop or reverse the progression of the disease.

I just see myself setting myself up for being bashed and more sniping at by the obese, unhealthy and junk-food-hugging women in my husband's family, if I try to talk to my sister in law about the Vitamin D angle and how she should try to go on tank-top-and-shorts walks in the sun, take Vitamin D3 supplements, etc. (Not to mention all the other alternative medicine things that help autoimmune disease victims, like anti-inflammatory foods).

About my sister in law: she's a teaching nun and has 3 master's degrees. She's very well liked among the students and helps take care of novices. She's the only other woman with a professional degree in my husband's family.

I want to help her, but I'm at the point where I can barely force myself to show up and gag down the crap the fat, jealous women in his family insist I eat with them while they enjoy watching my discomfort. I was planning to not even go to the visit with him this year!

If I try to talk to sister-in-law about her MS and talking vitamin D, this is certain to create new tension and/or harassment of me. It would just be like how they get contemptuous and angry at me when I say that I can't eat this thing or that thing they think I should eat, because it makes me sick.

Should I let her nervous system rot while I keep my silence or should I prepare myself to eat shit from the family and try to talk to her about the new alternative therapies for MS?

Medical Research References:

Vitamin D and its role in immunology: Multiple sclerosis, and inflammatory bowel disease. Cantorna, M.T. Prog Biophys Mol Biol. 2006 Sep;92(1):60-4. Epub 2006 Feb 28.

1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 reversibly blocks the progression of relapsing encephalomyelitis, a model of multiple sclerosis. Cantorna, M.T., Hayes, C.E., DeLuca, H.F., 1996. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 93, 7861–7864.

Vitamin D: a natural inhibitor of multiple sclerosis. Hayes, C.E., 2000. Proc. Nutr. Soc. 59, 531–535.

Vitamin D intake and incidence of multiple sclerosis. Willett, W.C., Ascherio, A., 2004. Neurology 62, 60–65.

Vitamin D as an immune modulator in multiple sclerosis, a review Journal of Neuroimmunology, Volume 194, Issue 1, Pages 7-17
J. Smolders, J. Damoiseaux, P. Menheere, R. Hupperts

Low maternal exposure to ultraviolet radiation in pregnancy, month of birth, and risk of multiple sclerosis in offspring: longitudinal analysis A Thesis: Judith Staples, student1, Anne-Louise Ponsonby, professor2, Lynette Lim, biostatistician. National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia, 2 Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP