Users Online Now: 2,353 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 850,874
Pageviews Today: 1,411,032Threads Today: 581Posts Today: 9,967
02:22 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Part of Alabama Gulf Coast Waters Shut Down For Fishing - Oil to Hit Pensacola and Destin Beaches Tomorrow (Update on page 5)
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message First off, I don't have a link. Don't ask for one.

Second, this is for recreational fishing, both inshore and offshore.

I do PR work (and write articles, etc..), and I just got off the phone with a local fisherman from Orange Beach (near Mobile). He said the oil is within 6 miles of the beaches.

All the Captains who are fishing have been churning up tar balls in their engines. However, if it were up to them, they'd put up with the engine sludge to keep fishing. The problem is BP, EPA and others who will mandate that they stop (for their own safety of course).

All the Captains have reported seeing helicopters flying over the oil slicks, and those helicopters are basically there for legal purposes; not for cleanup. (Reporting on the size, spread, and thickness of the oil so they can mandate when and where to make off limits).

Now, BP gave the tourism departments large sums of money to hire people like me and advertise to bring people to the Gulf. The problem though, was I didn't get started sending things out until last week, because of all the paperwork and legal work involved. So, that means that people will have booked (for the earliest) their trips this week. And if they close the Gulf waters, then all those trips will be canceled (nullifying all the work I've done)

Now I even had a trip planned to go to the Gulf to make more pictures and videos, but I've already canceled all those plans because of these reports. We were told that we had until about July before the oil would hit the beaches here, but that seems to have been an optimistic estimation from BP.

So again, I don't have a link, just words from the mouths of multiple Captains. And most all of them say it is very likely for Alabama Gulf waters to be closed indefinitely starting tomorrow, and by the end of the week at the latest.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP