Users Online Now: 2,321 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,831,879
Pageviews Today: 2,537,020Threads Today: 622Posts Today: 11,773
07:32 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject >>> BENZENE, H2s(Hydrogen Sulfide), Low lying areas and what YOU GULFERS NEED TO KNOW ASAP - Especially N.O.
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Edited my post for wording re:the portable detector I wore for H2s...

I worked in the refineries years ago. Benzene is some seriously dangerous stuff. So is H2s(Hydrogen Sulfide)->> Wore a special sensor on my jumpsuit just for that one.

I will cut to the chase for my fellow ADD types and put this as plainly and quickly as I possibly can.

#1 - If you live in the gulf states, you may want to get yourself one of these for H2s(Hydrogen Sulfide)... [link to www.davis.com] -

It is an H2s detector... 169.00

In its gaseous state, H2s is heavier than air and settles into low lying areas. <<<<PAY ATTENTION TO THAT CLOSELY!!!READ THIS - [link to www.duramproducts.com]

Next, let me tell you about the other one called Benzene.

abombIn its gaseous state, benzene is heavier than air and will settle into LOW LYING AREAS. It has a sweet almost aromatic smell to it<<<<PAY ATTENTION TO THAT CLOSELY!!!

READ THIS->>> [link to www.atsdr.cdc.gov]

I am telling you this so you don't DIE from this crap, so listen up as this is some serious stuff here.
abomb Also, keep in mind that when I say die, I am not talking about immediate death but through repeated or prolonged exposure etc. In concemtrated doses, these chemicals are extremely deadly, but it is doubtful you would encounter this in concentrated dosages like that...

If you start having large volumes of this oil coming near your shores, you stand a high risk of this stuff building up in low lying areas quickly and it WILL KILL YOU if the PPM are high enough. NEW ORLEANS, pay special attention as you are the highest risk in the nation for this stuff to keep building up in your area due to elevation and damage path...

Here is the toxicity levels offered by the CDC

[link to www.atsdr.cdc.gov]

OSHA ceiling = 20 ppm

OSHA maximum peak = 50 ppm (10 minutes, once, no other exposure)

NIOSH IDLH (immediately dangerous to life or health) = 100 ppm

AIHA ERPC-2 (emergency response planning guideline) (maximum airborne concentration below which it is believed that nearly all individuals could be exposed for up to 1 hour without experiencing or developing irreversible or other serious health effects or symptoms which could impair an individual's ability to take protective action) = 30 ppm.
Physical Properties

Description: Colorless gas with odor of rotten eggs

Warning properties: Not dependable; characteristic rotten-egg odor detectable at about 0.5 ppb, but olfactory nerve fatigue occurs in 2 to 15 minutes at concentrations over 100 ppm

Molecular weight: 34.1 daltons

Boiling point (760 mm Hg): -77ºF (-60.3ºC)

Vapor pressure: >760 mm Hg at 68ºF (20ºC)

Gas density: 1.2 (air = 1)

Water solubility: Slightly water soluble (0.4% at 68ºF [20ºC])

Flammability: Highly flammable and explosive between 4% and 45% (concentration in air); may travel to a source of ignition and flash back. Burns to produce a toxic gas, sulfur dioxide.
 Quoting: "CDC"

That is the likely reason why the shrimpers came back ill. Telltale signs of Benzene poisoning with a side of Hydrogen Sulfide(H2S) and both gases, in a concentrated dose can kill you real quick

For benzene, get one of these cheaper detectors if you want [link to www.zefon.com] - 62.00 or this [link to www.labsafety.com]

I would recommend that perhaps you get together with some friends/neighbors and buy the good equipment together(Benzene Monitor for 1520.00 etc. and alert each other if the reading jumps to toxic and GTHO.

Hope this helps, and most importantly,I hope you listen... Not trying to scare you but just advising you of what to watch for in the hopes it may save your life should the situation present itself as I know first hand how dangerous these gases can be. I Lost a colleague to H2s back in 1994. Working on an exchanger in the Refinery when he got blasted with pure H2S. He Lost consciousness trying to get off the scaffolding and away from the gas and fell... Took all but a few seconds...
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP