Users Online Now: 2,027 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,009,364
Pageviews Today: 1,395,540Threads Today: 384Posts Today: 6,615
11:37 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Mysterious email sent from 1969 plagues some iPhone 4 users. WTF???
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I just came across with this article reporting a weird glitch on iPhone 4 OS:

As if the iPhone 4 didn't have enough troubles, a mysterious software issue has been plaguing some users. There's a flurry of discussion on the Apple forums about blank email messages appearing on the iPhone that can't be deleted. Even more strange is the date that appears on those messages: December 31, 1969.
Almost as soon as iOS4 became available, some users began seeing emails appear in their MobileMe or Gmail accounts with no sender, no subject, and no content. The date on the messages was shown as 12/31/69 (though some users saw 1970). Weird, certainly, but not that inconvenient — until they discovered that, like the poncho, these unwelcome visitors from the 1960s couldn't be deleted permanently.
A number of forum members have suggested fixes ranging from the simple (just go to your Sent folder and go back) to the laborious (one user posted a 34-step process). Some have even been successful at fixing the problem, but it's often temporary. We contacted Apple to see if there's any official word on this email-from-the-'60s problem. If we hear anything we'll update this post. In the meantime, we suddenly have a hankerin' to listen to some Hendrix…

A screenshot of the reported email:

IMAGE ( [link to dvice.com] )

[link to dvice.com]
 Quoting: Dvice

That's the possible (and plausible) explanation provided by an ATS user:

Apparently, it's a UNIX glitch. On UNIX systems (which is most servers), time is counted starting from Jan 1, 1970 (that's when times begins according to UNIX). IMO, these dates are too close to be mere coincidence (< 1 hour, could be time zone differences or even daylight savings). I'm not sure if OS4 is based on UNIX but I know that the flagship Apple operating system, OS X, definitely is. Regardless, the servers that process the emails are most likely run on UNIX. Again, this is probably due to a glitch with UNIX, seeing how the UNIX clock begins with that date.

As far as Apple being glitch free with their ground-breaking gadgets, I wouldn't go that far, though they are usually very good at getting them fixed, quickly.

--airspoon

[edit on 21-7-2010 by airspoon]

thread595698/pg1
 Quoting: airspoon

However, if we consider some basic issues, even with this very logical explanation, still some crazy stuff in the air:

I've seen UNIX glitches before in computers and they concern the day that the platform started to run in the server. Plus I really doubt that Apple/iPhone 4 developers, were programming its OS in a 1970 UNIX platform and I doubt no less, that the email servers that sent this msg, run a 1970 UNIX platform. I mean, it doesn't make any sense.

Just weird!!

bump bump damned
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP