Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Questions for Consideration of New Laptop
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I'm getting a new laptop for schooling purposes. Taking into account that I have $1200 to work with, my questions deal with the processor and RAM.

I'll be attending online college, with multi-tasking being a BIG part of it's use. I'll be having online presentations of classroom lectures to watch, as well as taking notes. I'll be using Word, Power Point, and Excel quite a bit. During the course of my degree, I'm sure I'll also have to make a video when I take speech and perhaps other classes?

My first question is, what processor do I need/which one is the best suited for my needs?

~Intel Core i-3 or i-5
~Triple Core
~Quad Core

- Which is better, Intel or AMD? I've got more experience with Intel, and have not had any significant problems with it. Hubby's desktop runs an AMD 64 Athlon x2, which seems to freeze up even when he's playing his facebook poker.

My second question is, what size RAM do you suggest? I've been thinking about 4GB DDR3...would this be over the top, or ideal?

Third, the hard drive. I'm thinking of 500GB SATA (with 7200rpm vs 5400rpm). Does it REALLY make much difference, considering what it'll be used for? I'd love to go with a solid state, but they are more than I can realistically afford.

I'm thinking I only need an integrated graphics card...the standard?

I'm looking at minimum of a 15" screen, up to an 18". I had a Toshiba laptop (that my son broke on me), which had awesome sound and picture. My other laptop is a Dell Inspiron, which I've been more than pleased with, but when it comes to multi-tasking, it's a bit slow. It takes FOREVER for vids to load, for Office applications to load, etc. Our desktops are Dells, and have had no problems other than hubby's has VISTA and it SUCKS! Also, his freezes up on him. I really don't want to go with HP or Compaq.

I do NOT want face recognition or fingerprint whatever. I don't even care if it has a webcam (I never use a cam, and really don't trust them not being accessible to "outsiders" peeping in unexpectedly).

I'm taking off for a bit, but will check back when we get home. Thank you

Btw, it HAS to be a laptop, because I can rest my wrists right on the platform. I am not able to support my wrists in the air on a desktop. Whatever is wrong with me prohibits my using a desktop due to the strain.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP