Users Online Now: 2,232 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,753,613
Pageviews Today: 2,426,018Threads Today: 598Posts Today: 11,179
06:47 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject The the Difference between Sheol, Hades, and Gehennah...Prior to Christ, everyone went to SHEOL
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message This month I would like to explain the difference between the immediate state of the dead (what happens after death) and the ultimate destiny of the human race (Lake or Fire or New Jerusalem).

In the Bible, various words are used to describe the state of the dead.

The terms Sheol, in the Hebrew Bible, and Hades, in the Green New Testament, are EQUIVALENT. This is very important to understand. They mean the same thing-the place of Departed Spirits! In Psalm 16:10, we read these words of David:

“For thou (YHVH) will not leave me soul in Hell (Sheol)

neither wilt thou suffer thine holy one (Jesus) to see

corruption.” Psalm 16:10

David says that GOD will not leave his soul in SHEOL. Sheol is the PLACE OF DEPARTED SPIRITS. Prior to the resurrection of Christ, Sheol was under the earth and had TWO COMPARTMENTS (Luke 16:22-24).

The verse that we quoted in Psalm 16 is REPEATED in the New Testament. In Acts 2:27, Peter quoted from Psalm 16. When we read the word “hell” it is really HADES (in Greek). Thus HADES and SHEOL are EQUIVALENT.

Prior to Christ, everyone went to SHEOL.

No one went directly to heaven except Elijah and Enoch. Even Christ went to SHEOL, for the Scripture says, “…He (Christ) also DESCENDED first into the lower parts of the earth” (Ephesians 4:9).

We must understand that Christ and the righteous dead of the Old Testament went to the UPPER COMPARTMENT of Sheol, which is called PARADISE, or “Abraham’s bosom.” The unrighteous dead (i.e. the rich man in Luke 16, etc.) went to the LOWER COMPARTMENT of Sheol.

When Christ died on the cross, he told the thief, “Today shalt thou be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:43). He took this man to paradise, or Upper Sheol.

Some churches have creeds that state that Christ “DESCENDED INTO HELL.” This is actually HADES (SHEOL). After His resurrection, He emptied Upper Sheol (Paradise) and took the righteous dead to heaven (Ephesians 4:8). Only LOWER SHEOL remains in the earth and is the destination for the lost. LOWER SHEOL will be emptied into the LAKE OF FIRE (GEHENNAH) at the final judgment (Revelation 21:14).

“And death and HADES were cast into the LAKE OF

FIRE…” (Revelation 21:14).

The term GEHENNAH is different from SHEOL (Hades), for it refers to the FINAL ABODE of the unrighteous dead. One place where it is used is Matthew 5:22: “…Thou fool, shall be in danger of GEHENNA fire.” The confusion comes because GEHENNA is also translated “hell” in the King James Bible. GEHENNA IS NOT SHEOL but the FINAL JUDGMENT, which is often called the Second Death! (Revelation 21:14-15).

Between UPPER and LOWER Sheol, there was a “great gulf” or some kind of division (Luke 16). The righteous dead went to the upper compartment. Please see this illustration that I created to help further explain this:

[link to www.koshergospel.com]
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP