Users Online Now: 1,558 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 155,137
Pageviews Today: 262,536Threads Today: 100Posts Today: 1,816
02:40 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject **NEW RUST BELT MAP** And outlying areas. Where does your dying industrial town lie?
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message A full descriptive map of the rust belt, including it's outlying cities. I created this work because of the debates going on as to what cities are rust belt. I found in my research that the term "rust belt" is more of an overlaying network of dying industrial systems/regions within a larger macro region in the united states. Almost like little fingers reaching out in a splatter patter across a massive area between the mid atlantic states and the midwest (Centered around the great lakes of course). This map demonstrates that. From the Wyoming valley of Pennsylvania, to the Cairo vincennes railroad line that supplied the coal fields of Southern Illinois, to the automotive giant of Michigan, to the textile regions of Massachusetts here is the map in it's full glory. I left out Canada for a reason. The rust belt is a strictly US region. Yes, parts of Canada are loosely connected, but that is for another debate on another day. ANY ADVICE WILL BE CONSIDERED TO BETTER THE MAP. I know personally that there are some areas that I messed up on (Particularly in the west Virginia, Pennsylvania region) I still have the complete file split up into layers still on my computer.

Discuss please.

Oh one more thing, this is a map to end the bickering, i feel like at this point i am confident enough to say I left nobody (Well nearly nobody) out.

Some Places I left out of the map, and for what reason.

New York: I don't consider it a rust belt city, it does not have significant parts of the city in financial ruin.

Kansas city: Same as New York. It does have bad parts, but not bad enough for me to add it as one of the "original" rust belt cities.

Louisville: It's more culturally tied to the south, too much for me to add it. And similar reasons as New York And KS.

Memphis: Same as Louisville. (Although considering adding it)

Birmingham: Same as Memphis and Louisville. (Although considering adding it)

Some Places I added to the map, and for what reason.

Coal Regions: After doing extensive reasearch I have found that these regions are dying off as much as the Northern cities, so why not add the boundaries.

Southern Illinois and Southern Indiana: I know this area has tried it's damnedest to delete itself from the industrial history books, but It was one of the leading producers and distributors of coal during the early to mid twentieth century, and some of the cities in Southern Illinois were tobacco giants during the civil war and beyond. Also Evansville was a big manufacturing hub at one time. It was known as the Refrigerator capital of the world for quite a while. Both areas are dying in a BAD WAY now.
This region is mixed in with agricultural regions, and I tried to show that the best I could.

The Chenago Valley - Binghampton was once known as the Valley of Opportunity at one time was the second-largest manufacturer of cigars in the United States. However, by the early 1920s, the major employer of the region became Endicott Johnson, a shoe manufacturer whose development of welfare capitalism resulted in many amenities for local residents. Binghamton's population began growing rapidly from this influx. Also IBM, Ansco, Whirlpool.

OK heres the map. I could go on and on about why I put what where, any questions just ask.

[link to upload.wikimedia.org]
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP