Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject I have a theory on time...
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message With out going too into detail about this theory (as it is just a thought and still needs some work), I believe that our "perception" of time is in direct correlation with the amount of information being processed by our brains. As we should all know "time" is not a constant and is a perceived "constraint" we place on reality. As Mihály Csíkszentmihály theorized in his concept of flow, time can seem to come to a stand still when one is "in the zone".
Wikipedia- Flow (psychology): According to Csíkszentmihályi, flow is completely focused motivation. It is a single-minded immersion and represents perhaps the ultimate in harnessing the emotions in the service of performing and learning. In flow the emotions are not just contained and channeled, but positive, energized, and aligned with the task at hand. To be caught in the ennui of depression or the agitation of anxiety is to be barred from flow. The hallmark of flow is a feeling of spontaneous joy, even rapture, while performing a task.[2]

Colloquial terms for this or similar mental states include: to be on the ball, in the moment, present, in the zone, in the groove, or keeping your head in the game."

For instance, I know that when I am driving down an unfamiliar road time seems to pass slower, this is because my brain is processing more information compared to a road that you travel daily. After the first or second time drving this now not so unfamiliar road one might feel the time move not as slow.
This theory is easily felt/seen in everyday life, the more mundane the day/week/month/year the faster your time/life will pass you by. If you are not stimulating your brain with NEW and MORE information time will continue to feel as if it speeds up. I know that the older I get the faster the days and years seem to pass.
The theory in a nut shell; The more information being processed the slower time seems to pass, in return, the less information being processed the quicker time will seem to pass. The more your brain has to "think" the more "time" you will "make" to process.

What are your thoughts??
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP