Users Online Now: 2,075 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 724,464
Pageviews Today: 1,187,730Threads Today: 477Posts Today: 7,998
12:14 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Canned food moving back to pop-tops?
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I was at the grocery story tonight, and saw that they were having a great deal on name brand canned veggies, with a sale price of 60% off retail. It was actually a significantly better deal than a case of the same veggies would cost me at Costco. So I picked up a couple of bags worth.

The odd thing that I noticed when I was putting the cans in my basket, was the pop-tops. Pop-tops? Who the heck uses pop-tops any more, (besides high end soups)? For as long as I can remember, over 80%, if not more of canned goods needed a can opener to open. Why are our nations canned goods now moving to pop-tops all of a sudden?

The first thing DOOM scenario that popped into my head, was that it seems like they are making it easier for people to get the cans open, if there was a power outage in order to eat.

I am NOT claiming this is all canned goods. However I went through isle after isle, and it seems like so many companies are going with the pop-tops. Soups, juices, baby formulas, tuna, etc.

Are pop-tops easier and/or cheaper to produce? Are TPTB prepping for a a power outage like what I described above?

Check your pantries, and report back here if you are seeing the same thing on your end.

Am I reading too much into this? Who knows, only time will tell.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP