Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Altered States: Ritual, Shamanic & Meditative Music Thread
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Morning/Afternoon/Evening everybody!

There has previously been some discussion on this forum about how music can be used to achieve altered states of consciousness, helping us to connect with powerful energies which appear to wind within and without us simulataneously. This is a special interest of mine, inherited from my father who began collecting this kind of music in the 1950s.

Throughout history indigenous peoples from all over the world, and the great religions, have developed special types of ritualistic, shamanic and meditative music forms. This type of music has continued to evolve, with some of the more modern forms seen in clubs today.

I thought GLPers might find it interesting to explore these different forms of mind-tuning music, and welcome contributions to this thread. I am not so familiar with the more modern tribal and shamanistic genres, so please feel free to post your examples.

I will follow with a number of examples of music designed to lead listeners into trance and meditative states.

This is not short attention span stuff.

The nature of this music means that most tracks start very slowly, often with just a drone, with the more powerful rhythms following some minutes later... I appreciate that this takes time so if you see anything of interest, please feel free to bookmark for future reference.

Some of this is pretty powerful stuff.

I will start with 'Oya'(the fire spirit song), by the great Nigerian Djembe drummer, Michael 'Babatunde' Olatunji, from his 1960 album 'Drums of Passion', the first record I ever owned, and was one of the first 'World Music' recordings ever made. Olatunji was a great inspiration to many musicians of the 60s, including Ginger Baker and Carlos Santana. This is the finest example of drumming I have ever heard:

Followed by 'Salve Regina' the ancient Chant of the Templars, an early Byzantine chant which pre-dates the more modern Gregorian chants:

Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP