Users Online Now: 2,024 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 643,111
Pageviews Today: 1,157,424Threads Today: 561Posts Today: 9,132
12:56 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject This bread recipe could be the difference between starving and eating in the times ahead.
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message It's also good to try it out now. I am a professional baker and can tell you that it works, it's easy and tastes like bread should!

I like to experiment with adding herbs to the dough like garlic and onion powder, oregano, basil, thyme etc. Tried raisins and cinnamon...fantastic!

Have also made this in an outdoor clay oven and yay!

* 1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
* 1 1/2 tablespoons salt coarse salt.
* 3 cups water
* 6.5 cups flour ( I like 1/2 and 1/2 white and cracked wheat), more for dusting dough.
* Cornmeal

1. In a large bowl (I use a pail and a loosely applied lid), mix yeast and salt into 3 cups warm water. Add flour, and stir to combine completely. Let dough rise in a warm place for at least two hours, until it rises and collapses (up to 5 hours – or even overnight won’t hurt it). The dough may be baked at this point, or refrigerated for later use.

2. Cover dough, but make sure it is not airtight – gases need to escape – and place in fridge. When you are ready to use it, throw a small fistful of flour on the surface and use a serrated knife to cut off a piece of the size you desire. (recommend a 1 pound loaf – which means cutting off grapefruit-sized piece of dough). Turning the dough in your hands, stretch the surface of the dough and tuck in under. The surface will be smooth, and the bottom with be bunched.

3. Dust a pizza peel (or any flat surface – I use a rimless cookie sheet) with cornmeal. (This prevents sticking, and adds a nice, rustic crunch. You can use flour instead, but you’ll need to use a very generous dusting). Allow dough to rest in a warm place for 40 minutes – longer (up to an hour and a half) if you use some whole wheat flour in place of the white, or if you make a larger loaf.

4. Twenty minutes before baking, preheat oven to 450 degrees with baking stone (or overturned baking sheet) inside on the middle rack, plus a shallow pan on the top rack. Throw a small fistful of flour over the dough, slash it 2-4 times with a serrated knife (in a cross, a tic-tac-toe, or a fan), and slide it into the oven, onto the baking stone. Throw 1-2 cups of tap water into the shallow pan, and quickly shut the oven door to trap steam inside. Bake for 30 minutes, or until crust is well browned and bread sounds hollow when you knock on the bottom.

Thought I would add a pemmican video as well. Can't say enough about this stuff. High on protein, vitamins and very filling. Keeps well and easy to carry:

More great survival food vids here:

[link to www.youtube.com]

I guess I'm back after being banned (IP Issues)

Would like to revive this thread if there is enough interest.

Let me start with that I have decided to sell my properties on the East Coast (In light of recent events both political and natural) and we are heading to the prairies!

Gonna work on a few new bread recipes this week as well as post another series on home preservation and canning.

Hope everyone is well and still positive. Man! I missed this place. :)

Been spending time on a few other sites but this felt like home for awhile.

Anyhoo....

Plans: Got a lead on some acreage and looking at ponds, lakes, river access as well as land for the gardens of course. The new clay oven is going to happen as I have found material suppliers out there so my plan is to post videos of the process and finished products. I have to leave my old clay oven and that'll be sad as I just got it seasoned.

Next is T-Biscuits...got a killer recipe that makes these things pop up like balloons. :) Easy , Cheap and gut-Filling!

Will check in and update.

Stop in and say hello again if you are still here. Will appreciate it!

Jude11
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP