Users Online Now: 2,319 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 455,245
Pageviews Today: 736,652Threads Today: 250Posts Today: 3,920
08:59 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject FCC: LIVE CONFERENCE STREAM Japanese/English on current state of reactors: Fukushima #2 fuel rods are exposed - Emergency declared by TEPCO
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Current developments as they happen

[link to www.ustream.tv]

UPDATE: THE PRESS CONFERENCE IS NOW OVER but Here is the full recording:

[link to www.ustream.tv]

01:43:01 Starts w/o sound

Please note FCC stands for Foreign Correspondents´ Club

Also:
Thanks for the Recording!

Everyone watch it, its starts off in Japanese and you think it wont translate (the first question is long) but after that the translations are fast into English.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1280904

UPDATE II : TRANSCRIPT THANKS TO US AC 1270722

BEGIN PARAPHRASE

[4:29] explosion at #3 similar to #1 but more severe.

[6:45] Unit #1: extra(?) rods (fuel) were stored in the upper exploded portion: gone now.

[8:55] After such an explosion, only a 24hr monitoring can tell if the inner vessel is breached by the huge explosion. [..] Up to 0.5 percent of the contents can be emitted and it would still be called "intact" (based on venting radioactive steam). If the steam vent works, then < 0.5 percent would be emitted in a 24hr period, keeping us under critical pressure. At this time, according to sources, pressure being maintained through gas venting.

[11:47] This sounds nice and safe, but in fact: pressure reading and volume reading are two different things [NOTE HERE IS HIS FIRST HINT OF DECPETION/LIES FROM OFFICIAL SECTORS] We need to know how much of the volume has decreased, not just the pressure. It is only when you have that figure, that you know how much material has been emitted to the atmosphere.

[14:20] In other words, in the vessel, pressure is rising and may explode.

[16:00] We did see a hydrogen explosion, not a controlled release, rather, leakage from containment vessel is suspected, but the explosion occurred OUTSIDE the vessel not within the vessel which would be worse. [...] The design permits us to add nitrogen to cool. Unfortunately when you vent gas for pressure, you lose the nitrogen cooling. Also venting may allow oxygen to enter the containment vessel. This is hypothetical, but if you have hydrogen leave and oxygen enter, risk of containment vessel exploding increases. Not enough data at this time as to this.

[19:00] But I would like to ask, did anyone think Hydrogen explosion could occur in the containment building? [because] Hydrogen does explode. [HE IS HINTING THAT THE UNEXPECTED MAY HAPPEN AS IT HAS HAPPENED ALREADY]

[20:00] To cool, you need pumps, water and electricity. [...] These are all haphazard at this time, only partially available [...] if we can keep the rods submerged, then we can see this getting better. [...] But these ideas of sufficient water and pump-electricity are at this time, haphazard. Question: Is the cooling process happening in fact? [24:00] These are the questions the press needs to ask [HE SAYS TO ASK THESE QUESTIONS].

[25:00] Cooling with seawater seems to have disrupted. Also the electricity systems may have been damaged. As a result, these difficulties are occurring in several plants. We are seeing multiple such-failures. [26:00] At some plants the generators have been able to start and are working. But in others, the generators have failed to start. In other words, there are multiple factors affecting the whole very very severe situation. [27:00] Statements by the officials are that ample supplies of water have been secured so we are hoping the rods are submerged but there is question as to this. [28:00] the reason I am not being precise is that there is some question as to the monitors that check the water levels are actively working or if they are faulty. However the announcements are admitting this, the answer is that there are other ways being used to gauge the water level. According to these other parameters there is reason to say that the rods are immersed. I am not saying the situation is reversed or nearing closure. More correct would be to say we are in a very delicate situation.

@ 00:29:52 the speaker receives a disturbing SMS which he discloses:

[30:00] --I would like to correct my previous comments. I just learned this info about Unit #2 and plant #1: The fuel rods in the #2 unit are exposed and I do not know the accuracy of this information, but at least partially they seem to be exposed. This annoncement was from the power company and was reported by HK and Kyoto. I do not know enough about this particular situation to comment further.

[32:00] Also I would like to point out that you can cool the rods if you ensure proper circulation in the system. As you know, seawater is being used however this is not actually an example of a good circulation system. By pumping seawater, it is just heat-exchange, not circulation. Hence this is a very serious situation in that you have a makeshift system.

PART II

[34:00] So there are 2 situations, one is the reactor core, that one is SEVERE (kibishi) and then the state of the containment is SEVERE (kibishi).

[35:00] Normally steam is released inside the containment vessel. But in this instance, the tsunami damaged the cooling system (which uses seawater). As a result, what was probably used in the two suppression pools (at the base of the design) were used as a kind of cooling system. In other words, what happened was that within the vessel, you saw a rise in pressure. In other words we had a problem in the containment vessel BEFORE we had a problem within the reactor core itself. [correction] My point is that normally the containment vessel is to be the primary line of defense, but that containment vessel was FIRST damaged, and that makes all other planning more difficult. Conclusion of technical comments. To more formally introduce myself: I did work previously as a designer for nuclear power Toshiba for a couple years. I recieved a PhD my sepcialty was the containment of vessels for nuclear power plants.

[MODERATOR NOW SPEAKS] Reactor #3 has damaged pumps, rods are fused. This is the latest news. [40:00]

[Q1 long...] translator: In regard to the explosions which have happened, some people are saying they have been exposed to over 1million milliseiverts which requires decontam. However when we watch TV we have [SHILLS] who dismiss this level saying it's equal to xray levels. [question continues] but I understand xray exposure is only for a moment, yet this continues. Isn't this time for a special policy or approach to be taken?

[A:] I am not an expert in regards to radiation exposure. But as you have pointed out there is a fundamental difference between exposure for a moment, versus having particles cling to your clothing and to be exposed over time. It is not the momentary levels but levels-over-time that are very crucial. Therefore any comments that compare these levels to xrays should be made with great caution. Example: If you have xray three times, unless there is a special reason, there is no one who would have the same part of their body exposed to xrays 3x per year. Every time you expose yourself to xrays you increase the levels. Nobody undergoes xrays for fun, they assume the risk due to the needs of an injury. All radiation has an incremental effect. [48:00] [HE IS SAYING THESE COMMENTS ARE BULLSHIT, IN HONORABLE JAPANESE LANGUAGE]

[Q2:] Do I understand you correctly that the tsunami first crippled the cooling system? And second, why does this plant not have a hydrogen recombiner?

[A:] [50:00] Yes, the cooling system using seawater was damaged by tsunami, at the same time, electricity supplies were disrupted. Each situation is somewhat different. As to the second question, this is a BWR so it doesn't use a hydrogen recombiner. [52:00] Further: My understanding of the situation was perhaps more optimistic than reality. There was an announcement that in the #2 reactor unit, although attempts were made to cool the rods, it is suspected that the fuel rods are completely above the water. They are trying but they do not seem to be able to stop the falling water levels. They seems to be running out of fuel to run the pumps. I am not sure what this means as to fuel, perhaps diesel fuel is needed? [He has no more on that]

[Q3:] Have you designed any of these vessels, and also what is the mag of pressure directed on the outside that it is expected to take on the outside? [he seems to be asking what level of EQ mags the outside was designed to withstand]

[A:] [56:00] I was not a consultant but was on the team for these vessels. But I was also involved in research, and my sepc. was the strengths of these containers to withstand pressures. As you have suggested from your question, these vessels are made of steel they are susceptible to low-pressure damage from the outside. It is a little pressure from the outside that could hurt the vessel. In other words when there is a problem with the coolant we have to make sure there is not negative pressure inside the containment vessel. [A VACUUM] There is a valve in this vessel which might be called "vacuum rupture or breakage valve" in other words this valve prevents this kind of breakage situation.

[Q4:] From moderator: We have heard the rods are exposed, what does this means?

[A:] [59:00] It depends on the time factor, but if this continues, then situation will be SEVERE [kibishi] ..Accordingly according to TEPCO they say they cannot deny the possibility that the core has melted but they are pumping in seawater. [SOUNDS F'N GRIM HERE]

LAST PART

[Q5:] [1:00:00] At the beginning you said that when you saw the second explosion it looked different from the first. We saw that as well. What was the difference. 2nd: In regards to #3, what is happening inside this unit as it is different?

[A:] In regard to the difference, I do not know the precise difference but what we can say is that probably much larger amount of hydrogen was released in the second explosion. The amount of energy that the second unit produces, is much more. Not only the amount of hydrogen, but also, how much time before it ignites, affects the severity. I do not know the details to comment further. When we look at what happened with reactor #3, we can say that if this one follows the established path, it will be more severe because of the use of MOX fuel. We can also say that the melting point for MOX fuel is lower (more risky) than with the older forms of fuel.

[Q6:] I understand that after the power is turned off, the rods will lose heat? How long will that take? Also can you comment on the effectiveness of seawater if it seems to be "working"?

[A:] Second question first: Seawater is not perfect, but if the rods are submerged, that is better, but essentially this sort of makeshift system does take much longer to cool the rods. As to the first question: There are so many factors that determine cooling, I cannot answer.

[Q7:] Many of the press use the word "meltdown", can you explain what you mean? When I think of it, I think of the worst scenario where meltdown means a possible china syndrome.

[A:] [1:08:00] Yes a complete meltdown means at the bottom of the pressurized vessel you would have melted debris. This happened at three mile island where such material sat at the bottom of the container, and much of the steel wall began to be eaten away and it got to a very dangerous point where there might have been a hole. I do not know the specifics but they did in that case manage to stop the reaction. But there is always in these kinds of accidents, a danger that you would have a meltdown of the bottom of the vessel. In order to counteract this, they try to put in water. However there is always this possibility that this melted debris could interact with water and produce a hydrogen explosion. [PAUSE 1:11:00] So the latest announcement is that some amount of meltdown has already begun, so there has to be melted debris, parts of the fuel rods which are beginning to gather together at the bottom as debris.

01:10:47 news comes in via TEPCO that some meltdown of the reactor core (#2) has occured and melted debris is accumulating at the bottom of the vessle

[Q8:] Two questions, 1: You are describing a worst case scenario. How much time do we have before this cooling process can be said to succeed? Part 2: What can be said to be the worst case scenario in regards to these?

[A:] This is a question I do not even want to think about. I can only say "It would take some time". There are so many factors. We cannot see inside the units, we cannot know for sure. In the case of 3 mile Island, it was not possible until years after the accident, to know what had actually happened. At the same time, if we were to reach a similar condition, as to the other units the ramifications would be that people working on the other units, would no longer be able to continue their work. I can only hope they will continue to try and avoid this worst case scenario. [F'N GRIM]

[A: FROM OTHER DUDE WHO HAS BEEN SITTING SILENT NEXT TO THIS GENTLEMAN UNTIL NOW] I would like to add a couple comments. We have already observed hydrogen explosion at units 1 and 3 already. In regards to the first, the containment building walls and roof were destroyed. In regards to the second for unit #3, the explosion appeared to be more violent perhaps even damaging the girders and structure. It has also been reported that the "pump-vehicle" was blown away in the explosion and therefore it is surmised that the explosion also hindered the work being done on #2. Another comment I have is in regard to MOX fuel: As Dr. G mentioned earlier, one of the consequences is that it has a lower level of melting point and is more volatile. There is a lot more higher risk of core melt in this type of unit. also the fact that the type of plutonium is higher toxicity. Those are the two comments I want to make. [1:18:00] I mentioned this yesterday, it does depend on the situation, but the radiation exposure could be DOUBLED in regards to MOX fuel.

[Moderator says two more questions then meet again tomo]

[Q9:] Doctor, with respect, you are now very critical of your employer of several years. Is there anything that has provoked this on your part?

[A:] I am basically a structural engineer, my background was primarily in drilling-ship building. I moved from that to design of containment vessels. Since that time, I always had the understanding that this was the last line of defense to protect people from nuclear accidents. But as I pursued my research I began to realize that this containment vessel was not an adequate line of defense. [1:21:00] In other words I came to realize that when there are severe accidents like this, that these containment vessels have to possibility of cracking or being destroyed. I understand the likelihood of such damage is very low, but as we have seen, the surrounding systems CAN be affected. As I was designing these vessels I realized they were really not that invincible. I had great concerns n regards to earthquakes. It took the [?? kashiwaskai] accident to convince me that these vessels were not really invincible. It took this earthquake to make this more widely known. I then felt I had no choice but to step out and speak.

[Q10:] What comment about your peers not being able to speak freely and are perhaps being encouraged to lie? What sort of questions should we be asking?

[A:] These are very difficult questions. I ask myself the same questions. But my understanding is that all efforts must be done that the damage caused by all of us, must be kept to a minimum. Therefore the question is really, 'what can each of us do?" In the case of myself, it is my duty and the only way I can contribute is to tell everything I know. One thing I am quite anxious about is the possibility that the persons in charge are not the persons with the most technical knowledge. Or perhaps the persons controlling the situation DO have the expertise but perhaps somewhere when the info gets given to the people, perhaps someone steps in the way to affect that info. I understand that we do not want to cause panic, but when we are concerned with human life, everything should be done to . In other words what concerns me now is "Are policies and steps being taken that ensures the safety of the people?" Specifically I think the people in charge must have correct and accurate info and this must be disclosed to the public. [1:28:30] More specifically there is a great amount of raw data and this data should be presented. I believe that this kind of data provided on a timely method is the basis of this data the action as to evacuations should be taken. As you can see as by my explanations, it is constantly evolving situation.
I believe the govt and members of the safety commission should consider the most severe situation and produce policies that produce the least damage to the people. I do not need to criticize the people involved, I am sure they are doing their frantic best to control this situation. Therefore making critical comments is probably not constructive. I would like to make again this comment: As much info as possible should be disclosed to the public, not waiting to see what happens, and then reacting. Unfortunately it looks like this is what has been happening. Therefore looking at what the officials have been doing up to know, I have great skepticism in hy heart, I am wondering if the people at the top have good info. It may take some courage for any of those people to speak up. I have some skepticism about this. I hope we will be able to overcome this terrible situation we are facing.

[Q11:] [1:33:00] You mentioned that you eventually came to the conclusion that these vessels were not invincible. What was the response by your peers and employers?

[A:] This kind of understanding depends very much on each individual designers opinion on each question. Some designers will say "yes but earthquakes are so rare" or "probably the vessel will hold". But as I mentioned earlier, my research was very specific as to these vessels. Unfortunately many many designers do not think of the possibility where above-design pressures are applied. It was in fact not until about 1994 that the safety commission recognized that this would even happen as a possibility. [1:36:00] They did recognize it as possible, but very very minimal so they did not make it obligatory to raise the levels of containment at these facilities. A directive was given where the facilities were asked to give attention to the issue, but it was up to them. In other words it was a grey area, designers were able to make a choice,

[Q12:] [1:37:00] last question not translated

[A:] Explosions do not occur normally. Many decades have gone into these designs. But the reality is that accidents have a way of creeping in.

UPDATE III COMPLETE TRANSCRIPT BY GRIZABELLA

Thread: TRANSCRIPTION Foreign Press Conference Just finishing in Tokyo
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP