Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Obama's mother's Irish Catholic heritage
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Whether Barack Obama was adopted is still undetermined, however either way his upbringing was by his Irish Catholic mother. Obama also attended a Catholic school in Indonesia. This explains Obama's close relationship with his Roman Catholic VP Joe Biden.

Obama touts Irish heritage, announces a visit to Ireland

By Cristian Salazar and Randy Herschaft
Associated Press
Friday, Mar. 18, 2011

NEW YORK President Barack Obama found out years ago he had an Irish great-great-great-grandfather who fled the potato famine in 1850, just prior to the Civil War. He can now claim 28 living relatives who also descended from that Irishman, including a Vietnam veteran, a school nurse and a displeased Arizona Republican.

The president's newly identified relatives were revealed in a study released to The Associated Press by Ancestry.com, whose genealogists also traced descendants of 23 other Irish passengers on the ship that brought Falmouth Kearney to the United States at 19.

The survey allowed genealogists to further trace branches in Obama's family tree and others who arrived on the ship, known as the Marmion, on March 20, 1850.

Obama addressed his roots Thursday during a St. Patrick's Day luncheon at the Capitol.

"Now, speaking of ancestry, there has been some controversy about my own background," the president said. "Two years into my presidency, some are still bent on peddling rumors about my origins. So today I want to put all those rumors to rest. It is true my great-great-great-grandfather really was from Ireland."

After applause, he continued, "It's true. Moneygall, to be precise. I can't believe I have to keep pointing this out."

Obama also greeted Ireland's Taoiseach, or prime minister, Enda Kenny, at the White House. Obama said that he will visit Ireland in May as part of his trip to Britain and France for the G-8 summit.
[link to www.charlotteobserver.com]
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP