Users Online Now: 1,421 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 10,839
Pageviews Today: 19,968Threads Today: 10Posts Today: 155
12:20 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Decrease radiation illness potentially by using these common items.
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Dear GLPers,

I have a new and updated thread that is a bit better organized than this one:
Thread: **RADIATION PROTECTION**- non prescription list, revised and updated.

While we don't seem to know for certain what our possible risk from radiation exposure will be, wherever you live, being knowledgeable in advance allows one to make informed choices and decisions. While I do not think that anyone should panic, this list is supplied for those who wish to be proactive rather than counting on governmental institutions to have the interest of the common citizen as their first priority rather than damage control, protecting their own personal interests, or PR.

I composed the following list of dietary supplements that may be of benefit against various types of radiation, both as a prophylaxis and a treatment. This list was composed at the request of family members, but I thought I would share it with you.

There are references following the list, but in a few key instances, I have included the references with the supplement when I thought there might be greater interest. Full articles are available from pubmed for a fee, but the abstracts are posted as they are free.

Please be alert that doses for Adults and children may be radically different, and persons with health conditions such as kidney disease, liver disease, or other serious medical conditions should always consult with their personal health care provider before using any supplements. Also if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, discuss any supplements with your health care provider before using them.

If anyone wants to add anything else, feel free.

Protection from radiation summary:

Calcium - Blocks uptake of stronium-90. Adults may take 1500 mg daily.

Calcium iodate: -another effective blocker of radioiodine uptake by the thyroid gland. From the study listed below: "Ca(IO3)2 is permitted by the FDA as a food additive and is "generally regarded as safe" (GRAS, CFR No.1206). We have also compared the efficacy of Ca(IO3)2 with KIO3 in blocking thyroidal uptake of radioiodine, which could be important considering the better shelf life of Ca(IO3). The results of the present study provide us with evidence that Ca(IO3)2 can serve as another promising radioiodine blocker, and is as equipotent as KI/KIO3 in protecting the thyroid gland. We have not found any studies that examined the property of Ca(IO3)2 in blocking radioiodine uptake by the thyroid gland and the present study is an attempt in this direction."

[link to www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Iron - Blocks the uptake of plutonium. Too much iron can be toxic, especially for children. Don't overdose on this one. Adults take up to 300 mg daily if no medical problems, and iron deficient children may receive 4 to 6 mg/kg elemental iron daily in 3 divided doses. A fatal dose for children could be as little as 600 mg so this is one to consult your pediatrician on.

Potassium - Reduces uptake of cesium-137. Adults may take up to 100 mg daily, unless they have decreased renal or kidney function. In that case, the dose should be decreased or avoided. Eating potassium rich foods, like meat broths is usually still OK, even with decreased renal function.

Zinc - Reduces uptake of radioactive zinc-65. The recommended dose is 100 mg per day in adults unless medical conditions prohibit.

Vitamin B12 - Suppresses the uptake of cobalt-60. Adults may take up to 9 mg a day. Doses as high as 40 mg daily have shown no adverse effects.

Chlorella - High in vitamin B12. Helps detoxify and get rid of heavy metals and other toxic elements etc. (some may be allergic, test for stomach upset).

Spirulina: 5 grams of spirulina a day for 45 days detoxifies radiation in both adults and children with little known harmful side effects and was used following the Chernobyl disaster. Based on the Institute of Radiation Medicine in Minsk results, the Belarus Ministry of Health concluded that spirulina accelerates the evacuation of radionuclides from the human body.

Magnesium - Always take with other supplements to help with absorption. A good way to absorb magnesium is with an Epson salts bath or foot soak so that it does not cause GI upset.

Cod liver oil - For the Retinol, Vitamin D3, Omega 3 DHA/EPA etc. Helps fortify the body and prevent damage due to toxins etc. Adults may take up to 1-3 tablespoons daily.

Flaxseed oil: The protection afforded by flaxseed oil may be attributed to the constituents of the oil, which include omega-3 essential fatty acids and phytoestrogenic lignans, which appear to play an important role in free radical scavenging and singlet oxygen quenching. There is not an accepted dosage for flaxseed oil; doses ranging from 40 mg to 300 mg have been used daily in adults.

Potassium Iodide (KI) : Blocks uptake of radioactive Iodine 131. Adults 130 mg/day. Must start before or immediately upon exposure. Children between 3 -18 years of age should take one-half of a 130-mg tablet (65 mg). Children between 1 month and 3 years of age should take 1/4 of a 130-mg tablet (32 mg).Infants from birth to 1 month of age should be given 1/8 of a 130-mg tablet (16 mg). Women who are breastfeeding should take the adult dose, and their infants should receive the recommended infant dose. Children who are approaching adult size (greater than or equal to 150 pounds) should take the adult dose regardless of their age. Do not use unless you know that you are being exposed or about to be exposed to dangerous levels of radiation.

An adult dose for potassium iodate (KIO3) is 170 mg per day during and preceeding exposure.

Melatonin: Helps to protect from damage due to ionizing radiation. Adults may take up to 9 mg a day. Start before exposure. There is also evidence for protection of the testes from radiation in rats. (Stock up now guys!) [link to www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Vitamin E: Studies have reported vitamin E to protect against some of the toxicities of ionizing radiation Adults may use 1,000-2,000 IU per day.

Vitamin C: Shows protective effect from ionizing radiation. 1,000-5000 mg daily may be taken by adults. Use caution if a history of kidney stones.

Vitamin D3: Boosts immune system, helping to prevent infections and is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Adults may safely take 2000-5000 IU daily.

Selenium: This is an anti-oxidant with activity as a free radical scavenger. Populations with high blood selenium levels are found to have lower death rates due to cancer. Selenium toxicity can occur and the dose of selenium should be close to 100 MICROGRAMS (not milligrams) per day in adults.

Garlic: Either several cloves raw, or 1000 mg daily for adults helps the immune system and garlic was also shown to protect mice from ionizing radiation by a Cobalt 60 source.

Turmeric or Curcumin: Found to be effective in protecting the cells against radiation-induced suppression of glutathione peroxidase, catalase and superoxide dismutase (SOD) activities. This is used in many curry dishes, and may be safely ingested by adults and children. This is particularly important to use before exposure to protect the lymphocytes (blood cells).

Aloe Vera: Helps to protect and heal skin from radiation burns.

Horseradish: is high in superoxide dismutase (SOD) which plays a role in radioprotective response by inhibiting the initiation of a superoxide anion-induced ROS cascade leading to enhanced mitochondrial and nuclear damages.

Resveratrol: Resveratrol is found in grapes and is potentially an effective protecting agent and was shown to be capable of alleviating gamma-ray radiation exposure. Grapes, grape juice or resveratrol supplements may be safely consumed by adults and children in recommended dosages as long as there is not an allergy. Adult dose is 300-1000 mg daily.

Lycopene: Lycopene is found in tomatoes, and there is evidence that pretreatment with lycopene offers protection to normal lymphocytes against gamma-radiation-induced cellular damage. Tomato products may be safely consumed by adults and children as long as they are not allergic to them. Adult dose is 10-30 mg daily.

Alpha-lipoic acid: Is a nontoxic but effective radioprotector and it is reported that alpha-lipoic acid confers considerable radio-protective effect in mouse tissues when given prior to x-irradiation. It also helps to protect the neural tissue from radiation injury. Adults may safely consume 300 mg daily unless there is an allergy or medical problem.

Miso soup: "People who eat miso regularly may be up to five times more resistant to radiation than those who do not eat miso. That is the conclusion of a team of researchers at Hiroshima University’s atomic bomb radiation research center."
[link to www.ecomii.com]

References:

[link to www.australianspirulina.com.au]

I also wanted to get this information up as it is an alternative to oral KI or KIO3.

Don’t drink the Lugols solution or betadine as both are toxic when taken orally, but to paint on your skin. Lugols solution and betadine are both still readily available!

According to research by Ken Miller, health physicist at the Hershey Medical Center, using 24 healthy adult male test subjects he found that an adult could get a blocking dose of stable iodine by painting 8 ml of a 2 percent tincture of Iodine on the abdomen or forearm approximately 2 hours prior to I-131 contamination.

Although there were large variations within each subject group in regard to serum-I levels and thyroid uptakes, the increase in serum-I concentration after topical-I application was effective in reducing the thyroid uptake of I131. The authors conclude that in the absence of KI, most humans would benefit from topical application of tincture of-I, and that in some the effectiveness would equal that of oral KI.

Don’t try to drink or swallow iodine such as iodine water purification tablets, tincture of iodine, or Povidone-iodine solutions (like the Betadine® brand solution). If you do that you are going to get sick because iodine is a poison. That’s why iodine bottles are marked poisonous!

The abstract of his study is titled "Effectiveness of Skin Absorption of Tincture of I in Blocking Radioiodine from the Human Thyroid Gland" from Health Physics, June 1989, Vol. 56, No. 6, pages 911-914.

Although the amount given is for an adult male, around 160-170 lbs, I don’t see why a proportionate amount could not be used on the skin of a child as long as they could not lick it off (maybe place on the skin of the lower back). We use Betadine surgical prep on babies or very young children, so it would not be contraindicated as a topical application unless there is an allergy.

So in essence, 8 ml of a 2% solution for an adult male would be 4ml for someone weighing around 85 lbs, 2 ml for someone around 40 lbs, 1 ml for someone around 20 lbs and ½ ml for someone around 10 lbs.
Betadine surgical prep is readily available in feed and supply stores for animal use, so as long as the animal couldn’t lick it off and it was in a non-hair area (painted inside the ear flaps in rabbits or dogs) it might also work for pets.

Just my supposition, FWIW. If in doubt check with a pediatrician or veterinarian.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP