Users Online Now: 1,661 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 116,289
Pageviews Today: 158,615Threads Today: 78Posts Today: 682
01:18 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject [UPDATED]Dr. Caldicott and others: Nuclear Catastrophe in Japan and You. News and realtime info.
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message A MEDICAL PROBLEM OF VAST DIMENSIONS

helencaldicott2.jpgAs I write this on 25 March from Ottawa , two weeks since the earthquake and tsunami and the calamity that has befallen the Fukushima Nuclear Plant No 1, the situation has grown increasingly grave. Despite the heroic efforts of the “Nuclear Samurai” – the TEPCO employees who have selflessly and heroically fought to stabilize the reactors and restore power – there are worrying signs that signal dangerous instability continues to reign. Among them, the announcement today that one of the reactor cores may have suffered a break that could have released large amounts of radiation at the plant; the widening of the exclusion zone to 30 kilometers ; and the US government ban on certain milk and vegetables from that area from importation.So in 1993 I first ran across this woman. Her work was published in a book published by NOVA. Just a few paragraphs and I was hooked. So I took a side and even went back to the library for a cassette she had made. I guess is impressed me that she of all else took a stand against nukes and since I am a baby of the nuclear age I believed she was standing against progress as far as I was told or allowed to believe. My head and heard railed when her figures spread through me and the trouble she predicted if we continued along our course brought a clear understanding that nukes are bad, that even medicine had to be heeled from it course, that Nuclear Accidents are terrible, that a nuclear bomb was a terrible thing.

This is her newest writing, Dated yesterday. She gives a link and the page it is written on contains more. She doesn't write much, but she has been in the field longer than anybody I know.

"A MEDICAL PROBLEM OF VAST DIMENSIONS"
"In truth, as I say in this just-published CNN Opinion piece nuclear power and its deleterious effects are a medical problem of vast dimensions -- the greatest public health hazard the world will ever see."
"...Tragically, the “Nuclear Samurai” work for a company -- TEPCO --that has been exposed as having ignored mandatory safety checks at Fukushima ; as allowing spent fuel rods far in excess of the number that was deemed prudent to be stored on site; and as being evasive and unforthcoming about the real facts of the unfolding emergency

What we have also seen is a second tsunami of a different kind – a tidal wave of blow-back from the nuclear industry around the world, which has been rocked back on its heels by Fukushima but is now regrouping. There are claims that radiation is good for you; that nuclear power is still the only answer to global warming; and that fears about the safety of nuclear power are unwarranted and panic-stricken.

Let us be clear: there are billions and billions of dollars at stake for the nuclear industry, which has, as I’ve written earlier, managed to bamboozle governments around the world , much of the press, and many ordinary citizens into believing that nuclear power is green and clean. Nothing could be further from the truth. The industry will not walk away from that money without a fight."

[link to nuclearfreeplanet.org] 3/25/11

[link to www.cnn.com]

Finally: calculation of Fallout from all sources.
Thread: Measurement of Fallout from Nuclear Weapons, Power.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP