Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Rebecca Black - Friday
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I'm sure most of you guys are familiar with "Friday" by (13 year old) Rebecca Black by now.
It has been dubbed the worst song of all time, and Yahoo! recently did an article about it in which somebody else takes the credit for writing the song in order to counteract some of the backlash that Black has been receiving for the song.

Here is a link to the article and the video:
[link to new.music.yahoo.com]

I think this was done intentionally though.
Listen to the lyrics. Watch the video.
The kids are visibly young, 12 and 13, some of them still having braces. (I don't know how the hell they're driving a car, but I guess that's sort of besides the point...)
The lyrics are SO rudimentary and shallow - even for a modern pop song - that they HAVE to be written to target young, underdeveloped minds.
The subject matter is entirely focused on not being able to wait until Friday to party, which to 12 and 13 year olds who don't do anything with their lives besides go to school, further translates into "school is a waste of time, let's just get through this until Friday so we can party."

I think that this song and this video were written intentionally to target younger audiences in order to turn them on to pop songs at a very early age and simultaneously reinforce the idea that school is a waste of time, and the only thing that matters is getting to the weekend to "party" (and all of the things that connotates).

HOPEFULLY, all the negative backlash that this video has received for it's inane stupidity means that we are dumbing down more slowly than TPTB hopes, but I doubt it.
I think the negative criticism is coming almost entirely from older people who, even though they don't see the song for what it is really trying to do, just can't bring themselves to like it because of how horrible it is.
As for the younger generation, I think that the last line of the Yahoo! article rings true:
"And in the end, there was criticism, but Rebecca has been great in handling it...And the truth is, if you look at the numbers...even though people say they hate the song...really, they love it."
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP