Users Online Now: 1,301 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 380,970
Pageviews Today: 612,588Threads Today: 176Posts Today: 3,070
06:37 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject *General Linux Questions* Thread (Ask away.)
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I'll be taking some questions and answers on Linux. Feel free to ask anything you want. I'll provide a few resources, too. Here are some basic things to know:

What is Linux?
An open-source version of the UNIX operating system. (On technicality, Linux itself is a just a kernel. A kernel is the chunk of code that talks to the system hardware.)

What is a Linux distro/distribution?
Linux distribution is a member of the family of Unix-like operating systems built on top of the Linux kernel. (Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo, CrunchBang, Arch, Fedora and OpenSUSE are all Linux distributions. A Linux distribution is usually the Linux kernel with some drivers, a GUI/Desktop Environment and other programs added on top.)

What is a package management system?
A package management system is the way a distribution handles pre-compiled binaries. (Pre-compiled means compiled source code and a binary is equivalent to a Windows ".exe"). Most systems use the famous ".deb" and ."rpm" package systems, though there are plenty more.

How do I install Linux?
There are numerous ways to do this. You can generally get an ".iso" image and burn it to a CD, then boot it up from your PC's BIOS. You can install it via USB stick, flash memory, compile it from source or even run an installer from Windows (see Ubuntu).

Is Linux free?
Yes, in almost all cases. There are a couple distributions aimed at professional use among servers (RedHat Enterprise) and those are not free. You won't need them, anyway unless you're running a massive business that needs large amounts of servers and even then it's not necessary. The Linux kernel is ALWAYS free, no matter what. Almost all Linux distributions are free save for the ones mentioned earlier.

Can I get viruses on Linux?
Generally, no. The theoretical answer is "yes". It is possible, but so far it hasn't happened. This is due to a few facts: the Linux kernel is very hard to infect because of its UNIX style system (the virus needs root permission to run itself - it can only do that with your password). Linux also has far less users than Windows, so there's not much of a market for creating Linux viruses. Essentially, what this means is that whatever virus you get on Windows would not be acquired on Linux (you can browse all the dirty sites you want and download any song, video or whatever and come out totally clean).

Isn't Linux all code and command line?
No. Almost all distributions have a GUI (graphic user interface) for installing the system or installing applications. Almost all applications have GUI's as well.

Isn't Linux complex and difficult?
No. It used to be that way ages ago. As mentioned before, there are GUI tools for doing anything you need to do. Driver support exists for nearly everything (and is even better than Mac/Windows!). This is due to the fact that Linux is open-source, not closed.

What the hell is open-source and why should I care?
Open-source means that anyone anywhere can get inside the source code and alter it for whatever reason they see fit. This is why driver support is good and the security is top notch: developers all around the world are able to add the driver they need, send it back to the Linux kernel maintainer and it's updated. This also applies for security holes; when a security hole is found (say a backdoor for the FBI or what not to gain easy access) it is immediately fixed and sent back the maintainer. This even means you can learn a bit of code and create your own custom OS/kernel!

Yeah man, but what about browsing the web, playing games and reading e-mail or chatting online?
For browsing the web, there are numerous applications that work fantastically: Firefox, Chrome/Chromium, Iceweasel, Midori, Konqueror and Opera. There are even all-text web browsers you can run from a command prompt (for nerds only). Most games run on Linux through a program called WINE. Only certain games have trouble running (the old Gold Edition of Aliens Versus Predator for example). Reading e-mail can easily be done with Thunderbird, Evolution or any number of installable applications. Chatting online is extremely easy: see Kopete, Pidgin and Empathy. There are even derivatives specifically for AIM and MSN (aMSN to name one, or Emesene).

But I can't listen to music on Linux, can I?
Absolutely! Every file format is supported on Linux from FLAC to MP3. Even WMA and Apple codecs! There are a slew of media players! (Audacious, Amarok, Banshee, Exaile, Rhythmbox to name a few).

What about videos?
Of course! You can play any video you'd like on Linux. Every format is supported. This includes HD and proprietary codecs! (See Totem, Parole, Banshee, VLC, etc).

Yeah, but I have an iPod/iPad...
Exaile, Banshee, Rythmbox and Amarok are major media players that support iPods and iPads! There are also other applications.

What about wireless and mobile broadband?
All cards are supported as a well as nearly all mobile broadband cards. Ethernet, dial-up, DSL, Cable, anything you can name works out of the box for Linux (except for a few chipsets - but those can easily be installed).

Do I have to defragment the hard drive?
Generally, no. The Ext4 filesystem does not fragment and is widely used across most distributions. There are other filesystem types that may fragment.

Alright, but how stable is it?
Very, very stable (unless you use a beta, but no beta is stable - this goes for Mac, Windows and BSD). You can find videos online that show interesting clips of computers, old and new, being run for months and years at a time on Linux and never crashing or slowing down.

Is it fast?
Yes, very, very fast. Even the heaviest distributions are faster than Windows. Ubuntu, considered one of the most bloated, is notably different in speed compared to Windows (it is very, very fast). If you have an older machine like me, Linux will breathe some life into it. There are even distributions aimed at lower end specs (CrunchBang, ArchBang, Damn Small Linux, etc).

But don't I have to delete Windows?

No! You can install Linux on your hard drive side by side and choose which OS to use when your PC boots up. I do it all the time!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Resources:

Wikipedia:
Linux Kernel: [link to en.wikipedia.org]
Linux Distribution: [link to en.wikipedia.org]
Desktop Environment: [link to en.wikipedia.org]
Window Manager: [link to en.wikipedia.org]
GNOME DE: [link to en.wikipedia.org]
KDE DE: [link to en.wikipedia.org]
Lxde DE: [link to en.wikipedia.org]
Xfce DE: [link to en.wikipedia.org]

Ubuntu:
[link to www.ubuntu.com]

Linux Mint:
[link to www.linuxmint.com]

CrunchBang:
[link to crunchbanglinux.org]

----------------------------------------

Screenshots:
Ubuntu: [link to www.google.com]
Furry Remix: [link to lh5.ggpht.com]
CrunchBang: [link to i38.tinypic.com]
My Desktop: [link to img842.imageshack.us]
Wife's Desktop: [link to img543.imageshack.us] (this is using Unity, the new Ubuntu UI)
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP