Users Online Now: 1,955 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 723,306
Pageviews Today: 958,355Threads Today: 260Posts Today: 3,857
08:18 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Christians are admonished to withdraw from those who walk contrary to sound doctrine. There's a penalty to the believer who doesn't obey.
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message 1Timothy 6:3-5 "If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; he is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself."

2John 1:9-11 "Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: for he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds."

The average Christian does not understand the importance of proper doctrine. Because of this, they are usually vulnerable to false doctrine. False doctrine purported by false teachers carries severe consequences for the believer. False doctrine is not only a means by which a person becomes an enemy of God, but it is also a cause of spiritual blindness. When spiritual blindness overcomes a believer, the simple truth of the gospel becomes difficult to ascertain:

2Corinthians 11:3-4 "But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted."

Those most beguiled by false doctrine are those most unstable in truth:

Ephesian 4:14 "That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive"

Romans 16:18 "....and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple."

The beguiled will even begin to hate those who teach the truth:

John 8:40 "But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth."

Galatians 4:16 "Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?"

Apostle John warns us to "try the spirits" by means of the word of God. Jesus even tells us that we can know false teachers by their fruit (Mat 7:16). Determining what fruit men bear is necessary because "many false prophets are gone out into the world" (1John 4:1). This is the Christian duty.

It is not just the duty to determine fruit, but to "present [our] bodies as a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is [our] reasonable service" (Rom 12:1). This "reasonable service" includes the understanding of proper doctrine:

II Timothy 3:16-17, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect (complete) throughly furnished unto all good works."

Believers are exhorted to have no fellowship with false teachers:

Ephesians 5:11 "And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them."

Titus 3:10-11 "A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself."

Romans 16:17 "Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

2Thessalonians 3:14-15 "And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother."

These same teachers serve only themselves:

Romans 16:18 "For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple."

They are proud and the cause of much division among believers:

1Timothy 6:3-5 "If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; he is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth..."

They suppose that godliness is determined by how much stuff one possesses (money, talent, congregation members, etc):

1Timothy 6:5 "....supposing that gain is godliness..."

They do not accept contentment with just food and clothing:

1Timothy 6:6-8 "But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content."

Hebrews 13:5 "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."

Philipians 4:11 "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."

Believers are not to bid those who walk contrary to sound doctrine a farewell nor accept them into their home. When a believer does not behave as prescribed toward those who walk contrary to sound doctrine, then that believer is partaking in his evil deeds:

2John 1:9-11 "Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: for he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds."

Revelation 18:4 "And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues."

Let no man tell you otherwise:

Colossians 2:8 "Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ."
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP