Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject A Rant Against Facebook
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message DISCLAIMER: This is a rant against Facebook. So, if you want to complain that it's just a useless rant and that these words accomplish nothing - go ahead, no points to you for pointing out the obvious. But if you agree with the rant or have your own observations about how useless, idiotic and even perverse Facebook culture is: I'd like to hear them. I believe that this type of 'communication' is actually undermining real conversation and communication. Real voices and expression are being overtaken with LOL's and BRB's and :) and :( - a regression to the symbols such as cavemen painted on caves. It seems so perverse that so much technology could bring about so much primitive behavior . And yet it seems to spread every day. It seems unstoppable. Anyhoo, here we go with the rant...

What the fuck is up with Facebook!? (Classic rhetorical opening there) All these idiots are posting shit like: "Wen shoping tooday. YAH!"[sic] (This is usually accompanied by a picture of them holding arms outstretched with two bags full of indefinable consumer items). And what's amazing is that people respond to this shit. What amazes me even more is that a comment like that can get dozens of responses. Really? This fucker accomplished something that needs to be broadcast to the world? This idiot went shopping and everyone is now supposed to give an electronic "Yeah!!!" in response? And God forbid if you comment: "So fucking what?"

Even worse is the type that posts: "Mom died today. Really sad now". Really? That's the best they can do to express their grief and anguish? They log onto their computer and broadcast to 1,774 theoretical "friends" that they are 'sad' because their mother died. That's the appropriate way to deal with grief now? Broadcasting the fact out to mythical associates, in ten syllables or less, that something really tragic happened to you is now an appropriate method of mourning?

Basically, I believe that Facebook is leading to a dumbing down of communication. And complex communication is the essence of what makes humans special. I therefore think Facebook is a threat (or at least a symptom of a far greater problem). There are just a few examples presented here. What else did I miss??
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP