Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Using Your Food Storage......Recipes and Ideas
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message There have been some good threads about storage food, the need for preparation, where to buy, etc. but not many threads about using the food you store.

I've been going through my recipes and have some old, some recent, and many inexpensive.

Cooking at home is usually cheaper and healthier than eating out. If you have any you'd like to share, please post them.

There may be some hard times coming and the more people can do now, the better they'll fare later.

If you have inexpensive recipes, even if they aren't directly related to storage items, please post them. Many seem to be having hard times now and might appreciate your help.Food storage tips are also welcome.

Rice seems to be mentioned a lot. Rice and beans. Sounds like a good place to start.

Most recipes can be easily modified for your taste, preference, or what you have on hand.

The first recipe, I don't use the celery, onions, or carrots, but I add mushrooms and a few frozen peas for color.

Instead of cooking it in the oven, I brown the rice, add liquid, and cook on top of the stove, adding the mushrooms and peas when it's nearly done.

Rice Pilaf

2 c rice
4 T butter or margarine
4 c liquid (chicken broth if served with fowl; beef broth if served with beef)
1 c slivered almonds
3/4 c chopped celery
3/4 c chopped green onions
3/4 c chopped carrots
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown rice lightly with butter in skillet. Place in casserole with boiling broth. Cover and bake one half hour at 375 degrees. Take from oven and add vegetables and nuts, stirring and mixing well with fork. Return to oven for one half hour. Makes 8 servings.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP