Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Popular heartburn drugs may increase esophageal cancer risk
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Drugs such as Nexium, Prilosec and Prevacid that control production of stomach acid and treat heartburn, reflux, peptic ulcers and related conditions are some of the most popular medications on the market.

But long-term use of these drugs, known as proton pump inhibitors, can have unexpected consequences, a new study shows.

Blair A. Jobe and his research team at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine say the severity of symptoms for GERD, or gastroesophageal reflux disease, has an inverse relationship with the presence of Barrett's esophagus, a precursor to a lethal form of esophageal cancer known as adenocarcinoma.

The concern is that successful control of symptoms does not reduce cancer risk but actually increases it.

The study, published online by the journal Archives of Surgery, also raises questions whether proton pump inhibitors might cause the cancer, whose incidence per million has risen sixfold from 1975 to 2001, a time when PPIs came on the market with increasing use. It's the fastest growing cancer in the nation, outpacing melanoma, breast and prostate cancers......

[link to www.therepublic.com]

Ive taken Prilosec for 10 years or so,and about 2 years ago, started to get a sharp pain in my chest, fiqured it was swamp gas and let it go.
Over the last 6 months ,it has gotten worse.

Not gone to doctor, after 25 years of watching that industry work my mother over and become a slave to the drug companies,then my father's turn,(only he lasted about a year)...well im just not interested in playing god.

Looked up my symptoms, thought it was Paraesophageal Hiatal Hernia [link to heartburn.about.com] ,but now wonder if its Barrett's esophagus, a precursor to a lethal form of esophageal cancer known as adenocarcinoma 1dunno1

Only time will tell....

popcorn
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP