Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Google Earth set-up for earthquake tards like myself
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Over the years I have given out these links in many replies in threads. I was about to do it again but thought making a thread would be easier, this way I can link to it instead of redoing it every time I find someone that could use the info.

So here it is :)

USGS page—offers several different overlays
(I believe a computer may question the files but because they are from a government site, they are fine and I have downloaded almost all of them and have never had a problem.)

[link to earthquake.usgs.gov]

Below is the first Item listed in the above link, I use the “Colored by age” because I like to see how old the quakes are i.e. 1hour, 24hours or 7days. When I hover over the dot in Google earth it gives me the depth anyway. Both files, Age and Depth come with the plate boundaries.

M1+ Real-Time Earthquakes, Past 7 Days
Display real-time earthquakes and plate boundaries in Google Earth. Earthquakes will be broadcast within a few minutes for California events, and within 30-minutes for world-wide events. Earthquakes refresh every 5-minutes in Google Earth.

Colored by Age | Colored by Depth

I also downloaded the

[link to earthquake.usgs.gov]

Quaternary Faults & Folds in the U.S. full set overlay but I only keep the most recent time sets checked or visible( Historic > 150yrs & Holocene to Latest Pleistocene> 15,000). With all the other fault sets active its way to cluttered.
Have fun, hope you all can use this stuff its pretty neat. I will go through all my other overlays and see what else might be useful. oh and I will post the hot spot overlay when I locate it.

Note as you add more overlays and feeds to Google earth it can lag a bit on opening as it has more extras to load.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP