Users Online Now: 1,709 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 667,041
Pageviews Today: 1,129,927Threads Today: 416Posts Today: 7,653
12:50 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject "Something" happened after Sep 27 (the "Elenin doom fail" day)
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I know I'm soliciting 100 BS flag, call me moron, and personal attack...
===================

Just check these three links:

[link to www.01.ign.es]

(Watch what happened from Sep 27 till now.

[link to www.youtube.com]

(If you love to call people fear-mongering, this guy is the king of fear-monger.)

Thread: Best El Hierro Thread On GLP - Canary Islands - ACTIVITY HAS RETURNED - AGAIN!

(Good GLP thread: I hope that thread can be pinned permanently.)

-----------------------------------------------
Updated with wiki article (Thanks to Julez Edward)

Remarks:
1. This is copied from Wikipedia as is. No exaggeration. Not some crazy conspiracies imagined by doomtards. Not Hollywood imagination.
2. Volcanic ridge Cumbre Vieja, located at La Palma, is roughly 40-50 miles north to El Hierro. Both El Hierro and La Palma are small islands of the Canary Islands.

<paste below>
[link to en.wikipedia.org]

Now, I've read many great Wikipedia articles in my life, but not many talk about 600 metre high tsunamis. Copy paste in case the suits kick in:

Day et al. (1999)[6] and Ward and Day (2001)[7] hypothesize that during a future unascertained eruption, the western half of the Cumbre Vieja – approximately 500 km3 (5 x 1011 m3) with an estimated mass 1.5 x 10^15 kg – will catastrophically fail in a massive gravitational landslide and enter the Atlantic Ocean generating a so called "mega-tsunami." The debris will continue to travel, as a debris flow, along the ocean floor. Computer modelling indicates that the resulting initial wave may attain a local amplitude (height) in excess of 600 metres (1,969 ft) and an initial peak to peak height that approximates to 2 kilometres (1 mi), and travel at about 1,000 kilometres per hour (621 mph) (approximately the speed of a jet aircraft), inundating the African coast in about 1 hour, the southern coast of England in about 3.5 hours, and the eastern seaboard of North America in about 6 hours, by which time the initial wave would have subsided into a succession of smaller ones each about 30 metres (98 ft) to 60 metres (197 ft) ... (omitted) This would greatly damage or destroy cities along the entire North American eastern seaboard, and tens of millions would be killed as Boston, New York City, Miami, and many other cities that are located near the Atlantic coast are leveled.

-----------------------------------------------
Reference paper:

Cumbre Vieja Volcano -- Potential collapse and tsunami at La Palma, Canary Islands
Link 1: [link to wet.kuleuven.be]
Link 2: [link to www.es.ucsc.edu]

This paper has been cited over 100 times. The authors described that dozens of past lateral collapses of flanks of volcanoes have been identified by geologists in every ocean. It's not a rare type of geological event.

Wikipedia is not very precise. The authors estimated 150 to 500 km^3 of rock into the sea. If 150 km^3 rock falls, the tsunami will be 3-8 m in height when reaching the east coast of the US. If 500 km^3 rock falls, the tsunami will be 10-25 m in height when reaching the east coast of the US. Note that tsunami will become higher before touching the shores.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP