Users Online Now: 1,029 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 64,609
Pageviews Today: 106,777Threads Today: 63Posts Today: 826
01:38 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject make chewy crusty artisan BREAD with 5 minutes of your time! seriously! and cheap!
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message

1st off, this started on NY times a few years back.
a completely new way to make bread with NO KNEADING.
if you love those round crusty french bread types of artisian breads, hot out of the oven and you have no time.
THIS is a recipe for you!

here is the recipe from the nyt:
[link to www.nytimes.com]

above is a video on how to make it.

i have experimented with very many versions of this bread and it's practically impossible to screw it up and i have even simplified it from the nyt one.

all you will need is a dutch oven (like a big 4 quart metal pot you make stew in)

get a bowl. throw in 3 cups of flour
1 3/4ths cup of warm water
1/4 tsp yeast
1 1/4ths tsp salt

mix that all up with your hands. do it fast you don't need to be perfect about it.
cover the bowl with saran wrap!
that's it then.

let it sit somewhere warmish for around 24 hours. it really doesn't matter too much if it's 18 hours or 23 hours. just somewhere in there. i like to do 24 because it's easy to remember.

the next day, preheat your oven to 450 F. with the pot IN the oven heating with it. this is an important step because when you pour your dough into the pot then it kind of seals it immediately and stops it from sticking.

you will need then something else to stop the bread from sticking to the pan. so throw in at the bottom of the pan in a good covered layer some corn meal, or oatmeal, or muesli, or any course type grain you want on your bread. sesame seeds, poppy seeds whatever.

take the HOT pot out of the oven and with a spatula just get the dough from the bowl (that's been sitting around for a day bubbling with yeasty tasty goodness) in there fast. don't make a big ordeal about it. don't worry if it's shaped funny, it will all even out when it cooks.

bake it with the lid on for 45 minutes
then take lid off and bake another 10 or 15.

that's it. it's should pop straight out of your pot onto the counter to cool!

+++

i have made variations of this recipe where i added cocoa powder and sugar (it's not like a chocolate muffin but more like a biscotti)

i have made a variation where i added raisins, cinnamon and molasses

i have made one where i have throwin in almonds and sesame seeds and dried ruit like figs or dates.
or sometimes just mixed nuts.

i have substituted flour with cream of wheat!
i have done it with a sourdough starter.

you can do 1/2 wheat and half corn flour
or 1/2 wheat and some rye.
anything goes!

just mix it up, let it sit, and bake.
voila.

it's the best thing ever for when you're bugging out to bake some fresh bread. very grounding, comforting, simple, CHEAP, and delicious.

i imagine you could also make this on a campfire or brick oven if if TSHTF.

this recipe makes me so happy, and i hope it will make you happy too!

if you find a new variation on how to make it let me know!

now go do it. right now! :)
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP