Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Solar Simulacrum
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message this is a NASA SDO image of sunspot region AR1302 from 9-26-2011

[link to helioviewer.org]

SDOhgdef

[link to www.lmsal.com]

redeyes

[link to sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov]

Data-A1A/HM1 browse data-browse by day-2011/9/26-A1A 171 (gold)

imo this is a very unusual instance of Pareidolia [link to en.wikipedia.org] ..because of the number of different things that can be seen and how well defined they are..

Perceptions of religious imagery in natural phenomena
[link to en.wikipedia.org]

===================================
Simulacra: from the Latin simulacrum which means "likeness, similarity", was first recorded in the English language in the late 16th century, used to describe a representation, such as a statue or a painting, especially of a god.

[link to en.wikipedia.org]

===================================

about one day prior to that image appearing, a HUGE spike showed up on HINODE

spike

the unedited images above, along with technical info, are found at the top of the page on this link from lmsal

[link to www.lmsal.com]

[...]"Active Region 1302 is something special," Alan writes on his blog. "It's BIG... the field of view of this photo is about 110,000 miles -- almost 14 earths would fit across it. Traveling from end to end is a schlep almost half the distance from the earth to the moon. It's BAD, popping off X class flares and harboring the potential for more. But mostly, to my eye, it's a BEAUTY, from the complex convolutions of the largest sunspot penumbra to the little heart shaped umbra at the bottom -- all set in a sea of photospheric granules."

[link to news.discovery.com]

AIA 171 (2011-09-26 20:09:00 - 2011-09-27 02:08:24 UTC)

note: this thread is a work in progress. The op and especially the second post has and will be updated (many times since I started this thread)

note: the first 4 pages re: the active region from Sept..page five has new images from the long duration events which began 1-19-2012

ETA: 6-01-16 when I started this thread I was using a non-HD monitor which is why some of the images look blurry.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP