Users Online Now: 2,208 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,020,973
Pageviews Today: 1,830,505Threads Today: 789Posts Today: 14,025
08:44 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Phobos Grunt drops 2 miles today, more than any other, the big drag has begun
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message My first post here, don't be too hard on me. :)
Phobos is dropping faster today than on any other. Seems atmospheric drag is taking effect finally. Doesn't seem like a big deal until you see that it's dropped by far less than a mile each day before this, many days has stayed about the same. Started out at a the lowest drop in altitude being 121.3 today. Its lowest point dropped almost 2 miles just today and the night is still young, at least on the West Coast here. Phobos is falling a lot faster now.
12:36pm EST - lowest altitude was 119.74 and speed 4.67, making a drop of almost a full mile in just the past 4 hours. More than it has done on any day. I foresee it only picking up speed from here. Coronal mass ejections can also have an effect of causing the atmosphere to expand, allowing more of a drag on objects orbiting. I did hear we had a few CME's in the past few days so that may be contributing. I think this will hit pretty soon. A full rotation takes about 90 minutes so it may require some patience to view it at its lowest altitude, it'll get there and probably continue to steadily dip.
Can someone tell me at what point an orbit is too low to keep it up there and the thing just falls? What elevation before this thing just drops?
Youtube vid with data from the past few passes at a higher altitude. As you can see, commenters (myself included)below the video have also been tracking today. Video has no sound but it does have the data: [link to www.youtube.com]

I'm aware it'll probably hit the water but I'm curious about the effect that the Cobalt-57, Dimethylhydrazine and Nitrogen Tetroxide will have on things around it even if it "safely" hits a large body of water instead of a city.
[link to rt.com]

Site where Phobos can be tracked live: [link to www.n2yo.com]

Nitrogen Tetroxide
[link to www.gasdetection.com]

Dimethylhydrazine
[link to www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Please let me know if I left anything out, and by all means please add your own info and thoughts as well, thanks! :)
Strawberrymittens
eq
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP