Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject School Chipped My Son's Shoe**UPDATE**
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Two days ago my son came home with a chip attached to his shoe that resembled a small master lock and had a number on it. This is supposedly to monitor his activity for a grant that the school has applied for.

Problem is he is one out of 60 kids in the district that were hand picked by the the grantor and I was never notified or asked if this was alright!

Anyone else had this happen or know exactly what is in this lock looking thing?

UPDATE
This device is only a pedometer. It does have a computer chip in it and is read by a computer but is not attached to my son's name, only a number which was predetermined. Therefore we have been assured that this is only for a health and fitness study. It does not trace anything, only tracks his physical activities.

Now for the part that concerned me the most.
When your child is in a public school they have the right to use results from studies, physical and mental, they do to apply for grants from whom ever, this is the reason they sent an "opt-out" form and not an "opt-in" form. This was also not mandatory for him to participate and they call the kids in and hand this to them to put on their shoe while they watch so that no one else is actually doing in to them or for them.

While I understand all this, I wish the communication had been a little more solid instead of leaving people to wonder what in the heck is on my kids shoe...and no, I'm not the only parent around here that was asking questions so I'm obviously not the only one that missed the letter in the mail.

Bottom line, if your kid is in a public school be aware of what's going on at all times so you're able to "opt-out" if you feel uncomfortable or disagree with with a particular study.

Good thing it was not damaged or lost because yes, we would have been liable for a hundred bucks! Just as we are held liable for lost books or any other school property!

After talking with parents, school administration and legal counsel, this is how it was explained to me.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP