Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Kroger meat is poison
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I bought a 2lb roast a Kroger last night. It was really red when I bought it, but I wasn't able to go too a different store. I refuse to buy their ground meat. So I buy the roasts and grind it myself. Anyways, it was unnaturally red. Even as I was grinding it, it was getting redder. I called their meat department and spoke with the manager. He told me "when it is exposed to oxygen it gets brighter and redder." To which I replied, I am a chef sir, I know that is completely false. When meat is exposed to oxygen it should get darker and browner. He tried to argue back, but I shut him down. I then asked what chemical they spray on it to get it that color. He said they do nothing, that their suppliers may, but he does not know.
The only problem I have with this is, that I once bought 2lbs of ground beef from them, I went home and cut it in half. I was going to store half and use half. When I cut it, the entire center was very brown and smelled off, but the outside was as bright as a fresh ground meat. I have since refused to buy ground from them ever again. My question is, does anyone know what they are spraying on their meat? They keep their meat department in the back so no one can see.
Has anyone else had this problem? And, are they doing this at store level or is it suppliers?
Thanks.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP