Users Online Now: 2,015 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,606,841
Pageviews Today: 2,344,355Threads Today: 633Posts Today: 13,177
07:05 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Why Being Filthy Rich is Bad for You (and the rest of us)
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Anyone who has worked hard for a living knows what the satisfaction of providing for ones self and earning your keep feels like. If you are comfortable in this economy or even well off, for most of us, it's because you earned your way there. However, be careful what you aspire to, because once you cross that line into the upper class there may be no going back to being a regular person.

Yes, the ruling class, the nobles if you will, have existed in every culture since time immemorial. In western culture we generally measure ones success by the rule of more = better. We strive for it, teach it to our kids and judge others based on it. We are led by the dream that "one day I could be that rich" or "one day these guys could be working for me" when increasingly that gap is widening.

Is it any surprise that over the last decade or so the "service industry" has been one of the only job sectors with continued growth while traditional blue collar job numbers dwindle? After all, what would being filthy rich be without servants? Once I can live off my investments I don't even need to work anymore. Isn't that what we've always been taught to want? Then I could have someone drive me around, shine my shoes, cook my food, clean my house, raise my kids, grow my food, cut my grass, do my laundry and as long as they're in need of work I'm calling the shots right?

Once you reach that level of investor status your "job" is to move your fiat currency from one imaginary account to another imaginary account that says you are worth (x) and your return this quarter is (y). You lose touch with the human beings giving their all at the bottom of those industries. The cuts that had to be made to eek out that 4th consecutive quarter of growth. The lives that had to be squeezed to the breaking point and live off crumbs, take pay freezes, lay offs and cut corners to get you your extra .3 percent.

What are you really doing at that point? You out earn regular people 30 to 1, why you deserve to be where you are, to have what you have. Don't you? Therein lies the problem. You start to believe that your imaginary fiat money in your imaginary account entitles you to more than everyone else. When resources are running dry and rationing starts due to several bad years, are the ruling nobles of our world going to starve and ration like us? If North Korea can offer a contemporary example then the answer is a resounding no.

In fact if all you do is earn usury interest and be served, then you aren't a job creator you're a slave owner. Your a leech on the backs of hard working people the world over. Yes, since the dawn of man, certain people have tried to convince others and themselves that they are too smart to toil and gather food with everyone else. They've invented countless systems that legitimize and moralize their desire. In our world we idolize it.

Do you?
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP