Users Online Now: 3,260 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,113,825
Pageviews Today: 2,108,360Threads Today: 1,005Posts Today: 18,576
10:26 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject FREE Baby Grand Piano for someone in Illinois, nr Chicago > help a fine old instrument find a home
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Hi!

I like to find jobs for people, and homes for pets and instruments

In this case, I have a lead on an excellent old baby grand piano from a fantastic US pre WWII company most have never heard of

This piano is FREE to a good home

The piano is currently in Berwyn Illinois, about 10 miles from Chicago

That means it's not that far from Indiana, just in case someone is interested in a drive to get a piano free

I do not know the owner, but I actively follow this group, and they are good people who love antique instruments.

This is a STEGER baby grand, a company which once competed directly with the best Steinway had to offer

I have one of these pianos myself, a 1915, and it is amazing. I have barely even refurbished it, and I already think it sounds better than my 1950s Baldwin baby grand

John V. Steger was a German immigrant who arrived in the US with the intention of making the finest pianos in the world. He established the Steger Piano Company in Illinois in 1879

In pre WWI America, he had access to the best materials > heaviest brass, best old growth wood, and old world craftsmen who had immigrated to the new world.

In the first 30 years of the company, Steger did not produce 'discount' pianos. He only made deluxe instruments.

Sadly, John Steger committed suicide in 1915, and his sons kept up the company until the Great Depression and the rise of radio and phonographs decimated the demand for pianos by the middle class. Many fine old American piano brands vanished in the 1930s and 40s.

The company was bought and the name used until 1959, but in my experience, the best Stegers date from pre 1920

[link to www.antiquepianoshop.com]

My mother was a classical piano teacher, and she felt some of the best pianos in the world were made in the US before the great depression for the reasons listed above

An amazing example of a US world class piano are the famous 1928 Steinway concert grands which are still highly sought after and used in concert and recording halls around the world

If you are a musician looking for a worthy project, you could do worse than a Steger. They are overbuilt and once refurbished, are sought after by collectors

Hope to hear from someone. I rescued my Steger from a household about to dump it after the grandparents died, and I have not regretted it
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP