Users Online Now: 2,327 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,312,365
Pageviews Today: 2,190,731Threads Today: 885Posts Today: 15,664
08:45 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Sports fans, I have a ? for you.
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I am always interested in why people like the teams they do. I understand it often is very geographical, but other times there is more of a story to it.

Non sports fans, no need to hate, just do not read this thread if you are not interested.

I'll start. I like a wide variety of teams for different reasons.

NFL - I like the Falcons. I was obsessed with the Bills as a little kid (was born in northern PA), I love Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Don Beebe etc. But when those damn Bills traded Thomas to the Dolphins rather than let him retire a Bill, I was devastated. Even as a little kid I hated the business aspect of sports. This caused me to HATE the NFL for a few years, lol. I was however a Va-Tech fan (I grew up outside of DC in NOVA). I loved watching Mike Vick play, he was so exciting, and when he got drafted by the Falcons I started paying attention to them. His rookie year their training camp was held at Furman University in SC, and my aunt and cousin live in Grenville. My family was down there visiting and my dad, brother and myself went to their camp to watch and get some autographs. This was a few years after the dirty birds, so they still had good players like Anderson and were coached by Dan Reeves. I got sooo many autographs and the players were very nice. This caused me to start liking them as a team which later evolved into them being my favorite. To this day I remain a loyal Falcons fan and still love watching Mike Vick play, even though I despise the Eags. (I live in PA)

NBA- LAkers. Lol, I was a huge Shaq fan as a little kid and when he was traded to LA I still liked the Magic, but that all changed when Kobe was drafted. I loved reading about him when he played in high school, and knew he would be great. When the Lakers ended up having both of my favorite players they became my favorite team. I will NEVER switch teams for a player now, but I thought differently as a kid. I love the LAkers to this day.

MLB- The Chicago White Sox. When I was a little tyke and began collecting sports cards, one of my favorite and most valuable cards was a Frank Thomas insert of some sort. This led to him becoming my favorite player and Chi town becoming my favorite team, which they remain today.

NCAA football- As I stated I was raised in Northern VA, this one was a regional thing I guess.

NCAA basketball- Georgetown, same as above. I still love both of those teams to this day.

I guess I love watching athletes that are exciting and fun to watch, hence Vick, Kobe, Floyd Money-man Mayweather, Mike Tyson, Andy Roddick (Serves so fast!) Vitor Belfort (BJJ black belt with CRAZY FAST HANDS!!) and Ken Shamrock in MMA, etc. This played a part with me choosing the teams I did when I was young, and loving the teams I do to this day.

So anyone else have interesting reasons for being a fan of the teams you love?
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP