Users Online Now: 1,905 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 734,168
Pageviews Today: 954,357Threads Today: 243Posts Today: 3,391
08:14 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Obama v. Romney Is NOT the Only Option!
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Obama vs. Romney is not our only choice. With the current U.S. presidential race, I post this thread as a plea and a call to action.

Thomas Jefferson said, "The greatest good we can do our country is to heal its party
divisions and make them one people." (1801)

But I can't say political parties are inherently evil. There is an infallible logic to pooling resources to accomplish change. Doing so under a clever little name seems human, too.

"The argument presented in this post is that this is exactly what you’d expect to find if a single special interest coalition wished to control a country. Suppose, for the sake of argument, that in some hypothetical country there was a group of people who wished to control the government and to benefit themselves by manipulating government decisions in ways that were potentially harmful to the population at large.

Suppose, further, that these ruling interests first founded or bankrolled a single party only, which tried to gain control of the government. That might work in a dictatorship, but in a democracy like the United States, where people can in theory vote an aversive regime, it is difficult. After a few years, people would get tired of the oppression, identify the government as the cause, and elect a new government. Therefore it would not be in the interests of such vested interests to form a single party only, and to try to control the government by that means."
-John Uebersax
February 17, 2008
[link to satyagraha.wordpress.com]

"We still have voters who call themselves "Democrats" and "Republicans." Congress is still formally divided along party lines. But do these labels define a reality? Perhaps, once again, we are trapped by habits of thought - or by conventions that have become obsolete without our having grasped the change."
-Ken Eisold Ph.D
February 8, 2010
[link to www.psychologytoday.com]

Here is a cool little time-line of major political parties in the U.S.
[link to www.edgate.com]

Notice the very fist little bit; Thomas Jefferson formed a party before he spoke out against it. Maybe he saw what I see?

Before we had telegraph, the only way to get a message to someone was by delivering it. Without our means of communication and the practically free ability to transfer data, how would you get a message out? You would get a bunch of people together and pool their resources to spread the message as fast as possible, no?

Another quote from Jefferson, "The excellence of every government is its adaptation to the state of those to be governed by it." (1816)

Things change. I believe any society's government needs to have a means to change and bend to the times.

Mob rule is unfortunate if you're not in the mob, but it seems, to me, democracy and majority vote is a pretty good way to do it. The Constitution and The Bill of Rights (in its original form) are pretty fuckin' amazing. If you haven't read them both, you're doing life wrong. Read them here: [link to www.archives.gov]
and here: [link to www.archives.gov]

However, People here on GLP, myself included, feel there is a nefarious mechanism in place pushing us (our society and where the rewards of that society go) toward a selfish end.

Our media is controlled. The "news" is pretty restricted. According to the Pew Research Center, around 60% of us get our news through television. After that, it's online sources. Here's their graph: [link to www.santabarbaraview.com]

So it seems their showing us what they want, and we're choking it down. We need to stop.

This article from USA Today [link to content.usatoday.com] says over half of us want another political option beyond the Dems and Reps. Over half! Most of us.

Aren't you fed up with them both? Who's running them? What they tell us is important? The shit they put in our water?

The only reason we even have Obomney is because they say we have to.

Will we continue to obey?

We have a system in place based on voting, executing what most of us want, and we don't even us it! Let's show everyone what we want! If it doesn't get done this time around, next year our voice will be even stronger!

"Independent voters are an increasingly important voting bloc. They have outnumbered both Democrats and Republicans continuously for the past two and a half years, by far the longest period in which they’ve done so in ABC News-Washington Post polls dating back to 1981."
-Huma Khan
Jan 9, 2012
[link to abcnews.go.com]

Stop using the government we dislike in our own different ways. Please throw away your T.V. Stop taking welfare. Stop planning to draw Social Security. Stop collecting unemployment. Cut your expenses. Go live with your family. It's not at all a bad thing to live with extended families. The joy it can bring is tremendous. Personally, I feel the "Nuclear Family", so to speak, is another evil being perpetuated. ...But that's another thread.

You may need help. Don't worry; you've got more friends than you know. Talk to your neighbors. Plant a garden. We can do this if we want to. It'll be amazing.

Do not give up!

Don't give in!

Vote third party!

P.S.
A good article about the history of political parties in the U.S:
[link to www.ourwhitehouse.org]

I also recommend scrolling through Wikipedia starting here:
[link to en.wikipedia.org]

The history of communication methods timeline (something cool I found)
[link to inventors.about.com]
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP