Users Online Now: 2,097 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 410,897
Pageviews Today: 655,139Threads Today: 227Posts Today: 3,324
08:09 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Massive Bird Kill - Bandon, Oregon - Japan Tsunami Debris Washing Up - MY EYE WITNESS PHOTOS
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Hi all. I am deeply sad to bring this news to you. I took a vacation to the states of Washington and Oregon last week. At many of the places I went, it became readily and easily apparent that this country, maybe even this world, is struggling.

In Bandon, Oregon I visited an extremely beautiful beach. The town of Bandon is home to some of the best ocean fishing, some of the most delicious eateries, one of the best game farm/petting zoos in the U.S., and some of the most interesting craft shops on the entire West Coast of the U.S. The beach I went to had easy access, well marked directions from the freeway, plentiful parking, clean restrooms, a shower station, outstanding views of the shore and rock formations in the water, the weather was absolutely amazing, the water was goregous, the scene was picturesque, there were nonstop perfect waves for surfing, there were multiple million dollar homes backing up the 2 mile long area of sand. It was a prime beach location. The only thing missing? People. Not a single soul on the entire 2 mile beach when I showed up. At 4pm, this beach should've been teaming with visitors.

After I had been there for a bit, 3 other guys came through but left within 20 minutes or so. I believe the locals know something is up and avoiding the beaches (empty beaches dotted my whole trip), but I've seen nothing on main stream media or read anything anywhere about what is going on in these beaches that is discouraging people from visiting. So what is up with a perfect but empty beach? The first big clue was a sign posted that said the debris from last year's Japanese tsunami was now steadily washing up on the beach. (These signs were on every beach I visited from Washington to Northern California. On the sign there's a request to BAG IT and leave it. Can you imagine this??? They're asking people to make contact with radiation laiden debris and bag it. It says bag it, leave it. I'm assuming that by leaving it, when the workers that are charged with picking it up arrive (if there actually is anybody willing to do this), they will have less contact with the actual items and makes for an easy day of garbage collecting.

I walked the 100 yards to the beach from the parking area and right away I started noticing these foot long lumps in the sand. I've never seen this feature before and I used to surf regularly as a kid. My family loves going to the beach so I've seen a lot of sand in my life. I uncovered the first lump with my foot and it was a small dead shore bird. It looked like a plover of some kind (highly endangered species in that area) or maybe a juvenile sandpiper? I wasn't sure.

I uncovered another and another and another. In a 1/4 mile walk, I counted well over 200. There's no telling how many of these dead birds there actually were...but 200 in an hour in a short distance is enough for concern (and that's just the ones I saw, there were probably more I didn't see in that 1/4 mile range). Eventually I also uncovered what looked like juvenile seagulls and some other types I didn't recognize. These birds were all in different stages of decomposition which means they didn't all die at once in some freak incident or "fireworks".

Another thing I noticed was muscles. Muscles, in the shell, unopened, all over the beach. I don't know what that means but I've NEVER found a washed up muscle that was NOT open. When they die their shells open, just like clams. These animals died so quickly or in some sort of way that they didn't open. Many of the muscles were heavily covered with barnacles as well...I've never seen them completely covered with barnacles like that.

I took pictures of probably 20-30 of these birds. I was going to collect them and line them up but to be honest I didn't want to touch them. Sorry, but I'm too ignorant about how the radiation might be transfered, etc. Another thing I photographed was an extremely large wooden pillar of some sort. It was about 14 inches wide by 14 inches thick by about 20 feet long...half burried in the sand. I know this could've come from anywhere but it may also have been from Japan.

It is important to note...about 1/3 of the shops in Bandon appear to be closed. I don't want to speculate why, but this was similar to almost every coastal town I visited up and down Oregon and Washington's coast. Maybe it's just a dying economy, maybe it's something else. There are signs posted on every beach I visited about the tsunami debris and about different poisons and such that they're spraying to knock out bacteria forming from dead and dying animals. In Washington the big item that they seem to be trying to protect is oysters. The area is being treated for the bacteria forming in and around them. I have read a little about this and apparently when the oysters are hit with the radiation their deaths are causing poisonous and bacteria filled environments for the other sea life. I don't know if that is true, but it's what I have read.

Nearly every beach I went to was basically void of visitors. Lastly...there were probably 100 campgrounds where visitors can camp near or on the beach between those two states. For unexplained reasons, close to half of them are "closed for the season". This makes no sense, as this IS the season for camping and family fun. Summer time, great weather, etc. and these beaches should be teaming with people.

Here are 19 photos of the Bandon, Oregon beach showing the dead birds and the signs speaking of the tsunami debris and the testing the states are doing for bacteria and such.

[link to www.flickr.com]

Scroll through the photos to see what I saw. If there are any residents in those areas able to comment on this event and situation it would be greatly appreciated. I went to the Oregon Fish and Wildlife headquarters in Salem, Oregon and asked the department people what they know about what is going on. I spoke with several people...every single one of them denied knowing anything about the bird kills, but also seemed somewhat uninterested/alerted...as if they knew it was happening but acted like they knew nothing. They weren't properly "shocked" in my opinion. Especially when I told them the birds appeared to be plovers. This should've raised some interest, since they're endangered...but again, very little interest. I was given the email address for Rick Boatner, the invasive species director for Oregon Fish and Wildlife. I emailed him and asked what was happening...I have not yet received an answer. Apparently he's being tasked with this situation because they're concerned about Japan's sea life coming here with the debris.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP