Users Online Now: 2,270 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 865,655
Pageviews Today: 1,437,320Threads Today: 589Posts Today: 10,172
02:36 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Earthquake watch begins after August 4th -- but will a megaquake hit?
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Many threads here on GLP are predicting a megaquake (or some other big event) on August 4. My research indicates that historically asteroids making close approaches to Earth are sometimes connected to quake activity.

We tend to see more quake activity on days and time frames when we have a higher number of space rocks coming within .5 AU of the planet. My most accurate quake forecasts have been when I find asteroids that have a consistent history of quakes within a day of their past close approach dates.

So maybe a "swarm" of asteroids increases the odds that one of them has a history of quake activity which is the driving influence behind quakes happening often when there are many objects coming close.

On August 5th we begin one of these "swarm" periods which lasts through August 9th. During this 5 day window we may see a number of 6.3+ quakes or maybe the illusive 7.0+ which we have not seen since April.

Most significant dates are August 7th and 8th.

See chart below for NEO (near earth object) daily counts and averages. Then see the graph which shows the 5 day average peaking during this period.

aug7r
Data from [link to neo.jpl.nasa.gov]

swarm8

5 Day average "peak periods" per graph:

July 5-6-7
July 21-22-23
Aug 5-6-7-8-9

July 6.3+ Quakes per [link to neic.usgs.gov]

07 03 -- 6.3
07 06 -- 6.3
07 25 -- 6.4
07 25 -- 6.4
07 26 -- 6.7
07 28 -- 6.5

I'm not saying all earthquakes are influenced by asteroids, just like all quakes are not influenced by solar activity, planetary alignments or missing pets. Just an indicator and seems to be a connection for some reason.

I do not think we'll see a megaquake soon, just a step up in quake activity.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP