Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Medicare And My Mother
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message As of August 1st, Medicare drastically cut their covered services. As reported on the news, BILLIONS of dollars have been removed from the Medicare fund, and used for obamacare.

Here is how it affects my mother;

My mother is 89, and doing pretty good overall until earlier this year. She had a pacemaker put in, and subsequently developed congestive heart failure. She is now on oxygen 24/7. She probably only has 1-2 years left max, maybe less, because of the congestive heart failure. As of August 1st, her medicare coverage was drastically reduced, as it was also for millions of other people. She previously had a Therapist come in 1 day a week, a Nurse 2 days a week for a couple of hours, and a Home Health Aid for 2 hours, 2 days a week.Due to the medicare cuts, all she has now is the Nurse for 1 hour once a week, and the Home Health Aid for 2 hours, once a week. Myself, and one of my older brothers live relatively close by. We stop by frequently to her home(yes, she still lives in her own home), and check on her, cut the grass, rake the leaves, trim the bushes, take out garbage,do her laundry, etc.
We really depended on the medical professionals to fill in the gaps, and now they have been taken away almost entirely. We are in a horrible situation.My mother is deteriorating, refuses to live with anyone, and her medical help is down to almost nothing.
Financially, no one can really afford to hire a full time person to stay with my mother. Thanks to obamacare and the raid of the medicare fund, we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. We cannot afford to hire someone to stay with her full time. We do not want to put her in a nursing home, as there is no doubt she will not last there longer than a couple of months. IF we put her in a nursing home, medicaid would kick in and cover it, after we sold her house and the proceeds of the sale were used up. She doesn't want to leave her home.
I wonder how many other children of the elderly are now in the same situation as us?
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP