Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Homeowner arrested after shooting burglars
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message [link to www.dailymail.co.uk]

A couple who were arrested on suspicion of GBH after two burglars were shot during a midnight raid at their remote cottage were planning to emigrate, it emerged today.

Andy Ferrie, 35, and his wife Tracey, 43, are believed to have been burgled three or four times at their 200-year-old farm cottage in Welby, Leicestershire.

The couple had only been back in the property for four weeks - after moving out because they were fed up with being targeted - when crooks struck again.

Mr Ferrie's stepfather Maris Spilner, 60, said the couple, who have been married for four years, had decided to emigrate to Australia in 2013.

The service engineer said: 'In the time they have lived in the cottage, I think they have been broken into a couple of times at least, but I couldn’t say for definite.

'This is very out of character, we were very shocked when we heard on Sunday.

'But if someone breaks into your home its a violation of your privacy, I’m sure there was a very good reason for what has happened.

'We don’t know what went on, we haven’t spoken to either of them since it happened and no one will tell us anything.

'They haven’t lived in the property again for that long - a few months maybe.

'They were preparing for their move overseas, they were hoping to emigrate to Australia - for the weather mainly.'

Mr Spilner confirmed that the couple did have a gun licence but could not confirm for what type of firearm.

Detectives and scenes of crime officers have cordoned off the stone cottage, and forensic investigations are underway.

Eve Hobill, whose family owns the land that the cottage is on, said today: 'We do not know what is happening, and we are not allowed to say anything.'
A police community support officer stands guard at a track near the isolated cottage

A police community support officer stands guard at a track near the isolated cottage

Local resident Ted Hutchin, 63, said the suspected break-in and shooting were a shock to the quiet, rural community.

He said: ‘I’m a former magistrate and Melton Mowbray has the usual crimes associated with a market town.

‘But in the immediate vicinity the worst crime we can remember is lead stolen from the church roof.’

Mr Hutchin said he had seen the police cordon outside the cottage on his way to church last night, adding: ‘I thought it was strange because this is such a quiet spot.’

The case is likely to reignite public debate over a householder’s right to defend his home against intruders.

In 1999, Norfolk farmer Tony Martin was arrested after shooting burglars during a break-in at his remote farmhouse. He did not have a firearms licence.

Fred Barras, 16, was killed and his friend Brendan Fearon, 29, suffered gunshot wounds to his legs.

Fearon later admitted conspiring to burgle the farmhouse, accompanied by Barras, but Martin was tried at Norwich Crown Court and jailed for life for murder in 2000.

His murder conviction was later reduced to manslaughter and he was released from jail in 2003....50% article at link.

Yes yes I know it's the Daily Mail and yes, I loathe it too but the other sources, I cannot post from.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP