Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Traveling alone makes me suspicious? Harrassed at US/Canada Border
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I am still so pissed off at what happened to me at the US/Canada border this morning I need a place to vent.

I live in Oregon and wanted to take a short trip somewhere by myself to get away for a bit and decided on British Columbia since it is driving distance and I had not been for many years. Going into Canada on Sunday, the border/customs took about 30 seconds to a minute, just as I had thought it would, typical questions like are you traveling alone, how long are you staying, do you have drugs, firearms, etc.

Coming back to the U.S. this morning south of Vancouver (I-5 in the US) I was thinking in my head, given the police state we are in, I bet it is MORE difficult to enter even though I am a US CITIZEN WITH A US PASSPORT (32 years old) and nothing on my criminal record. Here are the questions I was asked (approximate order) I'll leave out the responses:

How long long were you in Canada?
What was the purpose of the visit?
You are alone?
Why did you travel alone?
Where do you live?
Why does your car have Washington plates if you live in Oregon?
Why did you rent a car?
Do you own a car?
Why didn't you drive your own car to Canada?
Do you typically rent cars for long trips?
What is your occupation in Oregon?
How long have you been doing that for?
Did you buy anything in Canada?
Nothing like postcards or souveniers?
Why didn't you buy anything?
Have you traveled outside of the country before?
I see you have visited Mexico and Europe in the last few years. What was the purpose of these trips?
Did you travel alone?
Where did you go in Mexico?
What was the most recent trip to Mexico?
Was that alone or with someone else?
Your passport says you were born in California. When did you move to Oregon?
Why did you move to Oregon?
When was your last visit to Canada?
Why did you decide on Canada for a trip?
(Meanwhile I can tell someone is communicating with her in her ear piece)

This took more than 5 minutes. How are most of these questions relevant to get back into MY COUNTRY? Meanwhile, all the cars (about 80% with British Columbia license plates) are let through easily (30 seconds max) but a U.S. citizen is harrassed for travelling alone!!!! Citizens are guilty until proven innocent, just like at the airports!

Just trying to get back into MY COUNTRY from Canada (not like it was North Korea or something). Amazing.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP